What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop?

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #21  
Not sure if I can post a link to Youtube or not but here is the song "Homegrown Tomatoes".
All the heirloom talk has my mind wandering to next year.
This version is pretty good but the John Denver version is maybe better.

"There's only two things that money can't buy and that's true love... and homegrown tomatoes".

Home Grown Tomatoes - YouTube

Here's the John Denver version

"Home Grown Tomatoes" By: John Denver - YouTube

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #22  
Florida Uglies are the best Ive tasted. Grocery store brand is as about as flavorful as cardboard. We grow all kinds of fruit and veg and they seem to win every time. Always remember HEIRLOOM. No Monsanto.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #23  
Hi, we grow a lot of tomatoes. About 90% of what we grow an sell are heirloom varieties. Brandywine red, pink, yellow. We want to try the black one next year. Green zebra is one of the fastest sellers great tangy punch. Black from Tula is like a purple cherokee but richer and smokey flavor. The big attention getter is the Virginia sweet looks like its on fire, we had many over 2 pounds this year. When ripe it is sweet and like watermelon. The heirlooms have more flavor and tons of personality. Our Facebook pages ( Reyer Farms) has lots of pics of the maters and other stuff from our farm. I can talk tractors, welding and tomatoes all day!
Thanks, Jody
Wow these sound great, to bad i can't stand facebook or i'd check it out. Thanks for the descriptions!

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #24  
cqaigy2 said:
Wow these sound great, to bad i can't stand facebook or i'd check it out. Thanks for the descriptions!

Well I really don't care for a lot of Facebook either but it is great free advertising. I will try to post some pics here on a new thread to not be rude. I am very interested in the Florida uglies. I love growing something new and exciting for my customers. Last year we grew over 10 varieties to total roughly 2500 plants.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #25  
Agreed. They are listed as "Ugly tomatoes". They have been a top seller due to the declining flavor of the "pretty" variety. Got some of em on the vine now. They can get to be pretty darn big too.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #26  
   / What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #27  
Great info, Don87...I'm going to grow some Pink Girl next year.

Having grown tomatoes for 50 years we have evolved to almost all the beefsteak hybrid because we eat them fresh and like a firm tomato with a lot of disease resistance. We add a few Early Girl type plants and some Juliette Juliet Hybrid Tomato | Hybrid | Plum/Grape tomatoes | Tomato Seeds | Totally Tomatoes . We have had great results with Juliette and the combination of beefsteak and these other two have reliably worked over the years despite variences in growing conditions.

Different tomatoes give different results based on the conditions of the growing season and what works one year may not the next, Especially important is the need to rotate the crop to new ground each year and to remove plants and any fruit before the ground is worked in the fall. This seems to keep the bacteria problems down. We have found bacteria to be less of a problem in the very cold climates where temperatures help kill the bacteria and more of a problem where winters are warmer. As well, experience has taught us to plant in two or three separate places in the garden in case some plants get infected it won't spread to the others.

We still plant 30 to 40 plant every year and this is what works really well for us.