What is your favorite brand?

/ What is your favorite brand? #1  

DmansPadge

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620, Toro 2000 Series Z Master
I am soon to buy a riding tractor. I have enjoyed reading the posts and getting great advice on the web site. Now.. I have narrowed it down to a few brands and I would like you to tell me which you perfer and why. I am still up in the air on specific models and take out of the equation what I'll be using it for.

Here goes... Cub Cadet, Simplicity, Craftsman, Kubota

Any suggestions are appreciated.

/ What is your favorite brand? #2  
I suggest staying away from Craftsman, unless you enjoy wasting your money.

From the look of the brands you have shown, it looks as though you are not looking to buy a CUT -- but rather a lawn/garden tractor. You will get a much better response if you give some more details as to what you are looking to do with it, and what your price range is.

<font color="blue"> I would like you to tell me which you perfer and why </font>
But I prefer the Kubota because none of the other brands you've shown make a tractor large enough for my needs.

/ What is your favorite brand? #3  
I have a Kubota G1800 lawn/garden tractor; it is a great mower and tower, 4-wheel steering turns almost as tight as a ZTR. Extremely well made and heavy duty. The only real downside in my opinion is the cost - almost as much as a Kubota CUT. If you're willing to pay the price for a quality machine that you will maintain and keep forever, the Kubota "G" line would be a good choice for lawn mowing.

Pete

/ What is your favorite brand? #4  
I like Cub Cadet & John Deere.

Cub = cast engine transmission & shaft drive on their 2500 & above models

John Deere = parts are most readily available and they are very reliable. I have also had very good luck with service after the sale, but that may vary from dealer to dealer.

/ What is your favorite brand?
Gatorboy, I am looking to buy a LT/GT. I didn't say what it will be used for just to get opinions on what brand they thought was a better bang for the buck overall. I will say that I've been leaning towards Cub Cadet... but whats the beef with Craftsman? I don't own a rider since right now I live on a 1/4 acre lot I mow with an 18 yr. old Honda walk behind. (It was used commercially for 10 years before I got it.... starts first pull every time!) But my Dad has had a Craftsman for about 20 years.. something around a 15 hp, 42 in. cut with an I/C Briggs. He uses it on a regular basis and cuts about 3/4 acre and has never had a problem except once the throttle cable broke. I'm not trying to defend Craftsman, I'm just wondering why you say it's a waste of money?

BTW, my price range is no more than $4000.

Thanks for the input.

/ What is your favorite brand? #6  
I have a Craftsman GT 2300 with the Kohler 23hp water cooled engine and 50" cut, and couldn't be happier. I think most people don't like Craftsman because they are farmed out and manufactured by someone else... low bid based on a set of specifications probably. There are L&G tractors that cost more and in some respects in some areas built better than the Craftsman. Used to, everything I bought used to be Craftsman, but when I needed to replace stuff I've bought non-Craftsman because I needed something a little of of Sears line. I've got a Craftsman Eager1 20" push mower that is about 18 years and cranks on the first pull. What I'm about to disclose is not how I normally maintain stuff... but here goes..... I've never changed the oil or the spark plug /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I've added a little oil from time to time.... but never drained and replaced.... doesn't smok either. It's funny.... everything else I own I've taken extremely very good care of.

/ What is your favorite brand? #7  
We see problems with any tractor that is made to be sold in "big box" stores. The higher end cub cadets are good tractors. The low end Kubotas are great, but over priced in my opinion. Once you move into a $4000+ tractor I lean heavily Kubota.

/ What is your favorite brand? #8  
I'm not a fan of any MTD product. (Please don't let this start a war) just my opinion.

I have always liked Wheelhorse (now Toro), Simplicity looks good, upper end John Deere, and of course my new favorite Kubota.

Locally there are literally 1000's of old Wheelhorses still in service. They were real popular here.

My dealer was one of the biggest Wheelhorse dealers in the state. Since they picked up Kubota a few years ago I think they might be selling more kubotas now. Don't know for sure.

/ What is your favorite brand? #9  
If I was buying for myself, I'd be at my local Deere dealer looking at GTs or the GXs, but using your list, I'd rank them as follows:
1. Kubota for the quality
2. Simplicity for the quality
3. Cub Cadet if it's the 2000 series or higher. If the 1000 series interests you, then Craftsman jumps to 3 because of price
4. Craftsman, unless you want a Cub 1000 series.

/ What is your favorite brand? #10  
We see problems with any tractor that is made to be sold in "big box" stores.

My brother asked the JD dealer about the 100 series. The dealer just rolled his eyes and said "We've got to work on the ones Home Depot sells, so we might as well sell them."
I noticed the JD dealer sells them for the EXACT same price as the Depot.

I saw the Cubs that Lowes sells. I REALLY like Cubs, but the tractors they had didn't impress me.

They are what they are I guess.