What kind of filler to add 1/2" thickness to asphalt?

/ What kind of filler to add 1/2" thickness to asphalt? #21  
How about removing a 1' band of asphalt and pouring fast-set concrete? Use the asphalt and existing slab as forms. Drill and dowel existing slab, and drop a couple lengths of 1/2 rebar on chairs down the length (or wire to dowels). For 4" slab, that's about 4CF, and about 6 for a 6" slab. By going with the fast-set, you could be close to full strength over a weekend. Maybe a dozen bags or so, not too bad if you rent a mixer.

Would a 1/4" step stop you the same way as the 1/2" one does? Maybe a piece of 1/4x6" plate would provide you enough of a "step up" to work?

I like the rubber idea...anyone around you have a chunk of old conveyor belt?

/ What kind of filler to add 1/2" thickness to asphalt? #23  
How about butt-welding successively thicker flat bars together? Four strips of 3 inch wide flatbar starting 1/8 then 1/4 then 3/8 then 1/2. 11 feet long - Uggghhh. Maybe make some shorter 'tiles' and put them only where the wheels go.
That right there might be the cheapest fix! Flat bar is fairly cheap.

/ What kind of filler to add 1/2" thickness to asphalt?
Yeah GLyford re-pouring it is a pro way to do it and ought to work well. I'd rent a cutter but not a mixer (for only 12 bags). This method creates a new concrete/asphalt transition, wonder if the asphalt needs to be undermined at the transition to be backfilled with concrete. But anyway that sounds like a good way but all said and done, take me a whole day.

I'd still like to trowel on some kind of tough elastic compound over about an hour on a friday afternoon. That's my wish anyway, got some time to wait for it.

Would a 1/4" step stop you the same way as the 1/2" one does? Maybe a piece of 1/4x6" plate would provide you enough of a "step up" to work?

That's a really good suggestion too! And fits my friday afternoon program!

/ What kind of filler to add 1/2" thickness to asphalt? #25  
Can you taper asphalt patch from 1/2" to 'zero' and then scrub solid forklift wheels on it? How long to cure? Seems ideal to add the same material if it will bond. This asphalt is 5 years old and in perfect condition.
No it is not. And in fact is a piece of junk. It was over cooked when mixed or laid down way past cold or both. A five year old pavement should look just like new.

Thats an interesting assessment. Im standing here looking at it, looks like 5 yr old asphalt in perfect condition. But I could be wrong. In any case I'm glad for the ideas coming in.

Really like this one, thanks Glyford. Especially because I have 1 1/4" x 6" in stock. Can just lay a test strip in there and drive on it, will know all we need to know in a matter of minutes.

If it's promising I'll just bolt it down over some thinset. Possible enhancements are a 1/8" strip welded on the leading step-up, and grind a little of the edge off the concrete. This fits the afternoon schedule (getting the work done after closing).

/ What kind of filler to add 1/2" thickness to asphalt? #28  
You could dump and spread about a yard of new hot asphalt and then taper it into original asphalt. Running the rake ain't the nicest job though and actually does take some skill.

/ What kind of filler to add 1/2" thickness to asphalt? #29  
Only certain grades of asphalt are made to handle heavy truck/forklift loading day in and day out, and that's only with the perfect subgrade. And I doubt your lot has any type of polymer modified liquid asphalt. This area will continue to rut and settle with continued heavy use. Removing the asphalt and pouring a concrete loading/access pad is the only way to actually fix this. Any cement or epoxy filler placed on the asphalt will crack and break in no time. Asphalt flexes like rubber when loaded, and concrete can't handle those tension forces. Especially, a 1/2" wedge.

Don't they make some type of prefab hard plastic threshold ramps? They should produce that sort of thing for industrial applications. Something that bolts down like prefab speed bumps. Just a thought.

/ What kind of filler to add 1/2" thickness to asphalt? #30  
I always liked these kind of forklifts. You could run over a 1/2" lip, and never know it!:laughing:

Attachments

• IR forklift.jpg
    IR forklift.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 55