What kind of gravel for driveway?

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #11  
Great pictures Mark. I love seeing what people are doing with their machines. What you got there is called 3/4 in this state I live in (RI) I put in what's called processed gravel in my drive and I have to top dress it every 3-5 years depending on how bad the spring rains get.. I think its what you all are calling "crusher run"

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #12  
arrow said:
Great pictures Mark. I love seeing what people are doing with their machines. What you got there is called 3/4 in this state I live in (RI) I put in what's called processed gravel in my drive and I have to top dress it every 3-5 years depending on how bad the spring rains get.. I think its what you all are calling "crusher run"

Thanks. I had never used it until this project but it has worked out really well so far. I use my driveway extension everyday and all I do is run a spike tooth harrow over it periodically to freshen it up.

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #13  
Does the driveway felt have a name? I see some trees on the edge, did you have any problems with roots?

jmf

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #14  
jmfox said:
Does the driveway felt have a name? I see some trees on the edge, did you have any problems with roots?

jmf

It's called Groundscape. It worked out pretty well. Some of the area was hard pack while other areas were soft and the covering keeps the gravel/aggregate from pushing down into the soft ground. There were a couple of ares that were simply mud and I had to back fill to firm them up. I ordered two rolls of 10' X 150' and trimmed the extra on the sides where it was a bit wide or folded it over.

Shaw Fabric Products, LLC

The trees are close but I exactly enough room (about 12ft.) to get through between them. I ran into a couple roots which I cut but it wasn't enough to kill the trees or effect my extension.

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #15  
I also used 3/4 process on my driveway. It is basically a mix of fines up to 3/4" crushed rock. It packs down and grades well. Most asphalt driveway contractors here use it as a base.

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #16  
Crusher run is used a lot around here. As mentioned, it should not have 'dirt' in it, but it does have a considerable amount of rock dust in it. Around here it is primarily granite (I think).

I used something much larger (don't remember what it was but some of the rocks fill the middle of the palm of my hand) on the dirt road leading up to my cabin site. It was wet and I needed something to fix it quick so two eighteen wheelers could make it up the road with the logs. And it worked fine for that. That was about 5 years ago and it is still there, but it is bumpy, uneven and is pretty near impossible to grade.

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #17  
I used crusher run to renovate/extend my driveway two years ago and wasn't happy with it. When dry, it was like concrete, but when it got wet, I'd sink in up to my ankles. Also, I was constantly tracking the fines into the shop and garage on the car tires and constantly sweeping the stuff back out.

This year, I put down 25 tons of 3/4 rock and have been very happy with it. No more tracking it into the garage and it seems to pack down just fine. It's a little rough for walking and driving on, but I can live with that.

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #18  
I think you need to look at your application and what material is available. Here in NW PA we have all types of material depending on your budget. When we are looking to infill low spots with cheap material we use a 2A gravel or RC. This is sandstone material with fines which will compact. I just used 450 tons on a site, delivered was $ 9.45 per ton. I also used 2A limestone on this project and it cost $ 12.75 per ton a big difference. Around here if you just order gravel you get sandstone. You must specify limestone if you want it. Limestone is better and you want the fines so it will compact better. I just finished my driveway and I used #4 limestone in areas that I removed because of pumping and I laid 6" of 2A limestone over the entire length. Drive on it and a couple rains and it is like concrete with out the cement. Good Luck!

JD 770 / 70 FEL / 7 BH - 425 AWS / 54" MMM / 54" FMP

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #19  
You should also consider how you clear snow and how that may impact you decision. I use a combination of 3PH snowblower and ATV plow on mine.

I ended up using a 4" layer of 2" limestone as a base then went over that with another 3" layer of 3/4" with fines. The surface is VERY hard and provided it's sloped properly the water runs off very well.

/ What kind of gravel for driveway? #20  
what do you guy put under the stone??i want to do my drive way and walkway.there is some type of material that i can put down first so the stones dont sink in the mud??