What kind of welder?

/ What kind of welder? #11  
Not if it is on a trailer and gas powered!!!!:thumbsup:

My portable is a Miller Trailblazer 250g

that very true....but the OP was asking for a cheap welder......not a refy the house welder HEHE:D

/ What kind of welder? #12  
The cheapest route is an old ac welder 50.00 and up.Next is ac dc I see them from about 125.00 to 250.00 and they will serve your grandchildren well,they last forever.
Depending on how much you want to spend you might want to take a look at Everlast Welders.They are priced on the higher range of the old ac dc machines but are 100 lbs less.
I just bought one and have only used it a few times and so far it has impressed me,but I had my old ac for a very long time and it's never let me down.Time will tell how the new inverters last.

Last edited:
   / What kind of welder? #13  
i'm a welder. i bought an everlast partly because they were flogging them here, partly to see whether they were any good or not, and partly because i'm just as cheap as anybody else.

bottom line, i would spend a few more dollars and get something that can run 6010 as well as 7018. you aren't going to be repairing body panels on your old truck with those rods... but you can cover pretty well anything else.

if you are restricted to 7018, as with my pa200 everlast, you really can't cover nearly as many bases/situations. if you have tough to get at spots with rust/oil/grease etc, you really need a machine that can provide the arc force to make use of the digging power of that 6010 first... and, no, 6011 is not nearly as good at that.

/ What kind of welder? #14  
I need a welder for odd jobs around the acreage. Nothing too heavy.

I don't have a lot of $$$ to throw at this...so what do you think would be better?

A small 120v MIG or a 220v Stick Welder?

How about a nice 120/220 stick welder, take a look at the Everlast PA140ST.
I've got one, works great, comes in a nice plastic case for toting around and storing. Runs 1/8 6011, 7014 & 7018's with no problems. I like 7014 over the 18. which are great for farm equipment repairs and 6011 for the rusty stuff.
For weight, I think the unit only weighs about 5 lb and cost about $230 and a 5 yr warranty.

/ What kind of welder?
Not too heavy as in...repairing Cat 1 implements and angle iron/flat bar and square stock.

Northern Tool has a 200A AC stick and has good reviews...only $139.99. or I can try to find an old tombstone Lincoln...but seems the old used price is more than the $140 at NT.

/ What kind of welder? #16  
Not too heavy as in...repairing Cat 1 implements and angle iron/flat bar and square stock.

Northern Tool has a 200A AC stick and has good reviews...only $139.99. or I can try to find an old tombstone Lincoln...but seems the old used price is more than the $140 at NT.

The differnce is that the lincoln will last about 1000 years longer.

/ What kind of welder? #17  
I used to operate my own trailer fab business ,so I have several welders I have a 250 amp miller mig w/spool gun, a 90 amp ( Lincoln mig PAC 100) wire feed/ flux core an old ac/dc stick and a set of torches.
Now that I am not welding primarily to earn my living I find that the welder that I use the most is the small flux core .If for some reason I had to give up all but one of my welders it is the one that I would keep,I would like better if it had slightly higher duty cycle(I think it's 15%) but for most jobs that you are going run into around the farm it works well.
The flux core can be used outside,the wire is very forgiving for sitting around for long periods( unlike stick electrodes) and for a novice it is easy to teach yourself to make quality welds.
With the small 120 wire feed welders most will weld 3/16" in a single pass 1/4" in multiple passes.when you get in to the small 240 wire feed welders some will do up to1/2" ,so you need to figure out what you will welding the most and size accordingly. ......Craig

/ What kind of welder? #18  
I used to operate my own trailer fab business ,so I have several welders I have a 250 amp miller mig w/spool gun, a 90 amp ( Lincoln mig PAC 100) wire feed/ flux core an old ac/dc stick and a set of torches.
Now that I am not welding primarily to earn my living I find that the welder that I use the most is the small flux core .If for some reason I had to give up all but one of my welders it is the one that I would keep,I would like better if it had slightly higher duty cycle(I think it's 15%) but for most jobs that you are going run into around the farm it works well.
The flux core can be used outside,the wire is very forgiving for sitting around for long periods( unlike stick electrodes) and for a novice it is easy to teach yourself to make quality welds.
With the small 120 wire feed welders most will weld 3/16" in a single pass 1/4" in multiple passes.when you get in to the small 240 wire feed welders some will do up to1/2" ,so you need to figure out what you will welding the most and size accordingly. ......Craig

You could also put flux core/dual shield in your big miller, and have a set up for some really heavy steel.

/ What kind of welder?
I'm already on the fast track to dieing list...lasting a 1000 yrs is the last thing I need to worry about.

/ What kind of welder? #20  
I have used flux core in the big welder for specific jobs (Hardfacing outside etc) but it still isn't as handy as the small welder, I can throw it ,my generator and a chop saw in my trailer and go anywhere on or off the property ......Craig