What kind of welder?

/ What kind of welder? #21  
i'm a welder. i bought an everlast partly because they were flogging them here, partly to see whether they were any good or not, and partly because i'm just as cheap as anybody else.

bottom line, i would spend a few more dollars and get something that can run 6010 as well as 7018. you aren't going to be repairing body panels on your old truck with those rods... but you can cover pretty well anything else.

if you are restricted to 7018, as with my pa200 Everlast, you really can't cover nearly as many bases/situations. if you have tough to get at spots with rust/oil/grease etc, you really need a machine that can provide the arc force to make use of the digging power of that 6010 first... and, no, 6011 is not nearly as good at that.

The PA200 is not restricted to 7018. :confused: I run 6010, 6011, 6013, and 7014 on mine.

Ian

/ What kind of welder? #22  
The PA200 is not restricted to 7018. :confused: I run 6010, 6011, 6013, and 7014 on mine.

Ian

+1 on that. The PA200 digests everything quite well. Cranked up, it will run 3/16" Stoody 31 hardfacing very smoothly.

/ What kind of welder?
From my readings...most people's complaints about welders not doing something right is more related to the skill of the welder and not the machine. Practice makes perfect and never stop learning.

/ What kind of welder? #24  
From my readings...most people's complaints about welders not doing something right is more related to the skill of the welder and not the machine. Practice makes perfect and never stop learning.

I would consider myself an OK weldor, made a living at it anyway, so I guess you can say I fooled a lot of people for a very long time.;)
In my opinion the more experience you get the more you'll under stand the quality of arc from a welding machine. Some welding machines are a dream to weld with, some are a down right challenge to weld with.

/ What kind of welder? #25  
i'm a welder. i bought an everlast partly because they were flogging them here, partly to see whether they were any good or not, and partly because i'm just as cheap as anybody else.

bottom line, i would spend a few more dollars and get something that can run 6010 as well as 7018. you aren't going to be repairing body panels on your old truck with those rods... but you can cover pretty well anything else.

if you are restricted to 7018, as with my pa200 everlast, you really can't cover nearly as many bases/situations. if you have tough to get at spots with rust/oil/grease etc, you really need a machine that can provide the arc force to make use of the digging power of that 6010 first... and, no, 6011 is not nearly as good at that.

No, it should handle 6010 fine just as all have verified their experience. Shield ARC certainly has published a few pictures. I can't remember, do you have a 3 port or 2 port machine? Either one is rated for 6010. It DEFINITELY would be the first complaint out of all of them about not running 6010. If anyone has ever tried to put the arc out with a 6010 in a PA 200, it just keeps burning typically. Never, ever had that complaint...Had a work clamp or two issue...but not anything else.

And the unit has built in arc force control...If something is wrong with your welder, you need to see about it, and we'll make sure it works for you but don't tell someone that it doesn't have that capability. Out of what I guess must be several thousand sold, all over the world, this is a surprise.

Last edited:
   / What kind of welder? #26  
Yep, the PowerArc 200 falls into that dream to use welder category!:cool:

Attachments

• 10P Plus B.jpg
    10P Plus B.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 279
   / What kind of welder? #27  
With the new PA 300 with the hot start control and arc force control, you can now dial it in even more. It too has 6010 capability. 1 or 3 phase 240.

/ What kind of welder? #28  
   / What kind of welder? #29  

Attachments

• 10P Plus cap.jpg
    10P Plus cap.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 6010 cap 9.jpg
    6010 cap 9.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 288
  • 7018 cap 3.jpg
    7018 cap 3.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 268
   / What kind of welder? #30  
I wonder how the Powerarcs compare with their Powertigs on stick?