What motor for snowblower chute rotation?

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #11  
The other problem I see with linear actuators (beside the very limited rotation you'd get from one) is that typically they are VERY slow-when the wind changes and the snow is blowing on you, you want that chute to turn NOW!:eek: The deflector is less critical and would be a good candidate for a linear actuator.

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #12  
The other problem I see with linear actuators (beside the very limited rotation you'd get from one) is that typically they are VERY slow-when the wind changes and the snow is blowing on you, you want that chute to turn NOW!:eek: The deflector is less critical and would be a good candidate for a linear actuator.

I don't see how the rotation would be limited if you rig it up in the same manner as a hydraulic cylinder...its basically the same thing from a geometric standpoint. I have one on my blower chuteand the speed is no different from that of a hydraulic cylinder. On my first attempt i used a l/a that was rated at 120 lbs pushing power...it would turn the chute but it was slow and i could hold it back by grabbing it. In the end I used one with 500 lbs push and it works great.

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #13  
Last time I checked linear actuators were fairly expensive, things could've changed though.

No one said it was cheap... Looking around on surplus center, a 500lb L/A would be around 180-200 dollars. A similar hydraulic cylinder would be easily half that cost. Though, if you don't have remotes, buying a hydraulic cylinder would be a pretty poor choice. Just thought I'd throw out the option.

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation?
Thanks for all the advice guys but I now know what I'm going to do. I'm going with the winch motor for the chute rotation and possibly also the window power motor for deflector.

I'll post pics when I get it a going.

/ What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #15  
   / What motor for snowblower chute rotation? #17  
I tried two different motors on mine. The first was too small when things iced up, the second (a Lucas starter motor) was too fast and tore things up. Finally found a hydraulic motor in the scrap heap, but failing that you can get a small winch for under $100....