Buying Advice What size of tractor?

/ What size of tractor? #1  

ruh78

Tractor
Case 1030
Hi, I am a new member to this forum, tho i've used it for research occasionally. I am in the market for a small tractor. I would like something reasonably compact to get around the yard with, but large enough to move 1800 lb round bales. If possible, would like to also unload 2000 lbs of wood heating pellets. I am looking for a used tractor, not new. I will only use occasionally around yard, pushing snow if it snows?, and moving bales off alfalfa field after baling, maybe mowing a little. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks

/ What size of tractor? #2  
You're talking about something in the 3500-4500# (bare tractor) weight range if you want to lift those bales with the loader. So in Kubota flavor, that's the large frame Grand L series, the MXs, or the smaller M series. If you're gonna be doing it a lot, the M would be the tractor of choice. For occasional use, the others would do the job with a good amount of ballast hanging off the three point.

An MX or Grand L with industrial or turf tires will be okay on the lawn. Unless it's real dry, you'll know it was there, but it shouldn't leave deep ruts or tread marks unless it's got ags. Obviously there's plenty of other brands to consider, but that's the size range you should consider. An 1800# (are you sure about that weight?) bale is pretty substantial. It'd be pretty dangerous to try moving them with any less tractor than that.

Another thought is that a skid steer might match up with your tasks pretty well, except for the mowing, of course.

/ What size of tractor? #3  
The best way to shop for tractors is to determine your tasks first, then determine how much bare tractor weight you need to accomplish as many of your tasks as possible, SAFELY. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites.

Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices.
I like to spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

A quality dealer, reasonably close, is a priority for me; less so for others, well experienced in tractors, who do their own maintenance. For most new to tractors a quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is essential. My wonderful kubota dealer is six miles away.

It takes a 50% increase in tractor weight before you notice a significant tractor capability increase. It takes a 100% increase in tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider, implements for a heavier tractor is a pain and often a big hit in depreciation. ((Ask me how I know.)) Many who buy too light tractors buy too light implements.
BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.​

You're talking about something in the 3500-4500# (bare tractor) weight range if you want to lift those bales with the loader. So in Kubota flavor, that's the heavy frame Grand L series, the MXs, or the smaller M series. If you're gonna be doing it a lot, the M would be the tractor of choice. For occasional use, the others would do the job with a good amount of ballast hanging off the three point hitch.

I concur.

Last edited:
   / What size of tractor? #4  
Based on your needs description, you also may consider a 40HP or bigger, 2WD Ag tractor. You can often find better prices on these.

/ What size of tractor? #5  
Welcome to TBN.

I agree to shop used. You didn't mention a price range. If you are willing to spend $15K the choices are very broad. I suggest an older 6-8K lb 50hp 4wd tractor. Brand choice is up to your preference.

Start by shopping MachineryTrader.com | Backhoes for sale, skid steers, excavators, dozers. Also use Craigslist, I prefer Searchtempest to do that. Keep in mind that asking price and selling price will have a 10-20% spread.

Another valuable website when shopping is TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors. It will provide specifications for the various models you see for sale. Pay particular attention to HP and weight when using tractor data. It will also tell you the technical specifications which might not be as important in the beginning of your search.

Lastly, tractor shopping requires large amounts of patience. Especially when having to educate yourself at the same time. Tractor prices will rise 5-10% between now and Summer. So you are a bit behind the power curve already.

Keep us informed of your progress!!! :)

/ What size of tractor? #6  
ruh78

I am in the market for a small tractor. I would like something reasonably compact to get around the yard with, but large enough to move 1800 lb round bales.

If you just want to transport round bales a few inches off the ground, a 2,700 pound to 3,000 pound tractor-loader with a Three Point Hitch Bale Spear can do that.

If possible, would like to unload 2000 lbs of wood heating pellets.

If you work up a solidly braced ramp, a 2,000 pound tractor with 4-WD can pull 2,000 pound pallet off a truck or trailer using chain. But you will be unable to pull a loaded pallet over soft ground.

These are BARE TRACTOR WEIGHTS.

Last edited:
   / What size of tractor? #7  
I would strongly recommend 4WD and 50 hp. Going to be moving bales out in the field, 2000 pound pallets of wood pellets, clearing snow and a "little mowing" on the side. Man, you are talking about tractor jobs - not some wimpy big box store belly mower.

/ What size of tractor? #8  
50 hp or a big frame 40 hp is about the bare minimum to do that. I could lift a ton pallet with my L3240 in best case scenario conditions. If it was evenly distributed forget it.

/ What size of tractor? #9  
ruh78

I am in the market for a small tractor. I would like something reasonably compact to get around the yard with, but large enough to move 1800 lb round bales.

If you just want to transport round bales a few inches off the ground, a 2,700 pound to 3,000 pound tractor-loader with a Three Point Hitch Bale Spear can do that.

If possible, would like to unload 2000 lbs of wood heating pellets.

If you work up a solidly braced ramp, a 2,000 pound tractor with 4-WD can pull 2,000 pound pallet off a truck or trailer using chain. But you will be unable to pull a loaded pallet over soft ground.

These are BARE TRACTOR WEIGHTS.

Not being argumentative, but I have to disagree.

First, you can't carry a big bale a few inches off the ground without destroying the bale wrap on the way to the storing area. My JD2210 weighs 1900. Even if I add 800lbs to the front it ain't gonna carry a big bale.

Second, I'd never recommend fabbing a ramp to drag a pallet of anything off a trailer/truck. Again, you'll destroy the pallet in the process and end up moving the material by hand.

I'm with oosik and 4570man in regards to size/hp.

/ What size of tractor? #10  
Hi, I am a new member to this forum, tho i've used it for research occasionally. I am in the market for a small tractor. I would like something reasonably compact to get around the yard with, but large enough to move 1800 lb round bales. If possible, would like to also unload 2000 lbs of wood heating pellets. I am looking for a used tractor, not new. I will only use occasionally around yard, pushing snow if it snows?, and moving bales off alfalfa field after baling, maybe mowing a little. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks

A person was just asking that same question the other week. That's not surprising; looking for that kind of general purpose utility or chore tractor is a popular quest.
I think he found a 1980 or so John Deere 2240 with a loader. Search the forum for 2240 and that should take you to that thread. The 2240 is a popular machine for all the reasons you are describing. Lots of them were made, and most are still in service. Old enough not to break the bank, and modern enough to be handy. The problem is finding someone who wants to part with one. 4wd was optional on that model but they all had power steering and modern hydraulics as standard. In the best of all worlds you would want 4wd, but don't pass on a clean 2wd; it will certainly do the work. Your local JD dealer might even know of one locally.

If you enter the make and model into Google it will direct you to TractorData.com which is a quick source of basic information on just about every tractor made.
There are lots of good makes and models of tractors. I mention the 2240 because if you can find one that will give you an idea of the size machine you are describing. Keep in mind you can do a lot of work with a smaller tractor but then it needs to be 4wd for sure. Used tractors are an odd market. There are so many rural folks with small acreage that the price of smaller machines can actually be higher.
good luck, rScotty