Buying Advice What size of tractor?

/ What size of tractor?
Thanks for all the info. I can't decide between an older ag tractor (heavier, cheaper) or an utility - compact tractor (handier for more yard projects). I am impressed with the specs of the Kioti DK40 series with the KL401 loader. Anyone have experience with it? I was trying to stay around $12000. The Kioti's are a little more than that, I realize... There is a Challenger 297 for sale close by that is 55 hp, but I don't think it will lift what I would like it to...

/ What size of tractor? #12  
/edit I composed this before/while ruh posted
Hi, I am a new member to this forum, tho i've used it for research occasionally. I am in the market for a small tractor. I would like something reasonably compact to get around the yard with, but large enough to move 1800 lb round bales. If possible, would like to also unload 2000 lbs of wood heating pellets. I am looking for a used tractor, not new. I will only use occasionally around yard, pushing snow if it snows?, and moving bales off alfalfa field after baling, maybe mowing a little. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks
Size matters - I see your from Kansas, what is "small"? Less than 200HP?
How big is your "yard"? 1/4 acre? 4 acres?
What do you mean by "move" a ton? Pick them up and stack them? Barely carry them?
What in your mind is "used"?
What's your price range?
And what are your wrenching skills? Do you think you will need dealer support to change an oil filter or are you confident you can split a tractor and replace a clutch in one day?

As others wrote you are probably looking at needing something in the 50HP range.
My example is I "needed" to be able to lift a ton to get trees on my sawmill.
I've some wrenching skills so I wasn't too concerned about "fixing things", especially with the support found on TBN.
My price range was $15K tops.

My "yards" are 1/4 acre in Mississippi and 1/2 acre in dense suburban Northern Virginia. Plus about another 300 acre of forest around the 1/4 acre.

I ended up getting a 1995 Kubota M4700 w/ FEL showing 1400 hrs off a Public Service auction for $11.5K. First use was on my 1/2 acre in Virginia clearing a 30 year old growth of brambles, small trees and bamboo. The machine was definitely BIG for the yard.

I moved it down to Mississippi. I tried cutting the grass ONCE on the 1/4 acre. Could hardly turn it around.
Works great for moving logs.

So - if you just need to barely move those loads but need to "get around the yard" with it look for something in the sub-40 HP.

But give us more info about price range and wrenching skills.

/ What size of tractor? #13  
I've always found that the tractor I want is about $5,000 more than I want to spend :)

/ What size of tractor? #14  
In the neighborhood of 45-55 hp should do it. Look at loader lift capacity.
My L3940 will not lift a ton of pellets, so i break it down to half ton pallets. Doesnt take long to put empty pallet on and move 25 bags over.

/ What size of tractor? #15  
Hi, I am a new member to this forum, tho i've used it for research occasionally. I am in the market for a small tractor. I would like something reasonably compact to get around the yard with, but large enough to move 1800 lb round bales. If possible, would like to also unload 2000 lbs of wood heating pellets. I am looking for a used tractor, not new. I will only use occasionally around yard, pushing snow if it snows?, and moving bales off alfalfa field after baling, maybe mowing a little. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks

1800# round bales ==== 80 Hp 8000# tractor
2000# pallet of pellets === 80 Hp 8000# tractor

1800# bales would be wrapped silage bales using a front end loader with a squeeze grapple in the winter, mud and snow not with a small tractor,
we do it with a CIH 125 Puma and a NH 6050

/ What size of tractor?
Ok, I appreciate all the responses. I have decided that a compact-utility tractor in the 40-60 Hp range that weighs enough and has enough loader capacity for round bales, etc is what I'm after. This would be handier for most of the projects I have planned for the tractor than an older, heavier tractor. I have done quite a bit of research to arrive at this and still wouldn't turn down the right deal on an older lower HP ag tractor, but think I know which direction I'm looking for now. I have found a Kioti DS4110 in the $13000-14000 range. It is a 2010 Model with around 400 hrs. It has the R4 tires and the KL402 loader and looks to be in really good condition. Interested in any opinions, thanks.

/ What size of tractor? #17  
That looks like a pretty good price to me.

/ What size of tractor?
They sold it before I could get there:(