What size service wire for new workshop

/ What size service wire for new workshop #61  
Its not rocket science. Lots of members on here are "real" electricians. And are giving good sound advice. If the OP follows that advice, he will be fine. His situation is not unique, and has been done many many times before. So IMO, it doesnt warrant hiring a guy to come out to repeat what has been said here.

/ What size service wire for new workshop
Another voice of experience...

Hire a real electrician. Following the advice of a forum may work, it may also result in a fire that destroys everything in there. Good luck with the insurance company if that happens.

I do have a electrician coming out to install the wire and hook the barn box up. I supply all the materials. I just don't have the time as i go back and forth from Illinois to Tenn. on my time off. I just wanted to know how to do it right....

Thanks

/ What size service wire for new workshop #63  
I do have a electrician coming out to install the wire and hook the barn box up. I supply all the materials. I just don't have the time as i go back and forth from Illinois to Tenn. on my time off. I just wanted to know how to do it right....

Thanks

Your doing good 747

/ What size service wire for new workshop
Its not rocket science. Lots of members on here are "real" electricians. And are giving good sound advice. If the OP follows that advice, he will be fine. His situation is not unique, and has been done many many times before. So IMO, it doesnt warrant hiring a guy to come out to repeat what has been said here.

I do have a electrician coming out to do the job. I have wired 5 houses but always let a electrician do the main service hook-ups. I just don't have the time. Its always nice to know how it should be done so when i look at his work i can spot a error! This way i can get on my tractor and go out and grade the road, finishing leveling the motorhome pad and get 10 6x6x18' posts set for the new rv carport.....!!

/ What size service wire for new workshop #66  
I'm not an electrician and have pulled permits numerous service upgrades and complete rewire jobs plus I run circuits at work when needed.

The inspectors always think I'm a sparky... maybe it's my electrician's van??? anyways I'm always complimented on the neatness of my work.

Doing it for yourself can eliminate the rush to beat the clock... get it done and move on to the next job...

Still remember the first Service upgrade/meter split on a Duplex... I went from a single 30 amp Edison Fuse 1920 service to the minimum of 2 100 amp 220 service... Four city cars show up and I'm thinking to myself someone is in trouble... turns out 5 of the 6 were new hires and each was to independently inspect my job... lucky me... it passed, no problems.

I still have a 1200 square feet home with the original 30 amp single fuse main... it was the standard back in the 1920's here... family of 5 lives there and no issues with service... makes you wonder when the neighbors all have 200 amp upgrades... and no one has AC here!

The professionals make mistakes too.

One of my neighbors recently had a electric 220 dryer outlet install 4' from the subpanel... the homes here almost all have gas dryers... the electrician used number 10 wire and the job failed...

My city requires and has always required minimum Number 8 wire for Electric Clothes dryers... so another inspection was required after the code required wire size was installed.

/ What size service wire for new workshop #67  
My Washington 400 amp circa 1978 is direct bury installed by the utility.

Three times in the last 7 years I have lost one leg... each time the utility has come out and made repair...

The last time I was told they will not continue making repairs and that I would have to upgrade... citing end of life.

This is my only experience with direct burial and surprised the Utility that was paid to furnish, install and maintain to their transformer is saying it will be my problem???

My home is the only home with underground because this is what the county required... all of the surrounding homes predate mine and have power poles...

If the problem is between the Transformer and the Meter then it is indeed the utility's problem not yours. You are responsible for the weather-head/meter base into your home and the wiring inside the home. The connection from the meter base up to the point where the utility powers it up is most of the time a licensed installer paid for by homeowner or builder. Some jurisdictions the home owner can do all of this other places it must all be done by city/town/state licensed people/contractors.

Mark

/ What size service wire for new workshop #68  
The power pole is 1800 hundred feet from my home... the underground feeder runs down the power pole, through my woods to to a pad mounted transformer 40 feet from my house mounted meter box...

I like the underground in principal... no storm damage like my neighbors with overhead... in all other aspects it has been a problem.

Comcast wanted $10 per foot or $18,000 originally to bring cable to the house since there were no overhead lines... they dropped it to 12k and I still was not interested.

/ What size service wire for new workshop #69  
The power pole is 1800 hundred feet from my home... the underground feeder runs down the power pole, through my woods to to a pad mounted transformer 40 feet from my house mounted meter box...

I like the underground in principal... no storm damage like my neighbors with overhead... in all other aspects it has been a problem.

Comcast wanted $10 per foot or $18,000 originally to bring cable to the house since there were no overhead lines... they dropped it to 12k and I still was not interested.

that pad transformer belong to you or your utility>? might have been a compromise where the at time owner bought pad transformer ran the lines with a High Voltage lines feeding the pad XFMR which then drops it to house hold 220vac.

I agree running lines can get expensive if you dont have the equipment, time and or experience to run it yourself.

so much so that in some cases renting or buying your own equipment doing the job and then selling or returning it is cheaper.

Mark

/ What size service wire for new workshop #70  
Good question and one I have not been able to find a paper trail as to who owns the transformer...

It's small about the size of an older style color TV... on a pad in the woods about 40' from the corner of the house...