Tractor Sizing What size tractor do I need?

/ What size tractor do I need? #11  
Educate me. The lifting height will be off a regular semi trailer. (4-5'?) Are you talking about the rated capacity being at max height? /QUOTE]

Are you sure more height will not be required as well as the ability to reach in?:)

/ What size tractor do I need? #12  
Thanks for the input. We will definitely get a fork attachment. The 3616 being too small is pretty much in line with what I was thinking, I'd rather spend that kind of price, but don't want to get stuck with a machine that doesn't suit the purpose.

You've done your homework. Your headed in the right direction, I think your questions are getting area specific and I would suggest you consult with people in your area and see what mistakes they have made and try to avoid those.
I think your going to make a good decision, your asking all the right questions.
As you can see by my location I'm not qualified to offer answers to your specific questions. I can tell you that you will most likely not regret buying a tractor that is too big. Rather, as you stated, buying one that is too small is an expensive mistake.
This kind of thing happens all the time here and I can tell your on the right track.
If your on the fence about the up front costs, consider a second hand tractor and if it's not right you could perhaps sell it at a profit while gaining the detailed information you need to make the qualified decision
good luck

/ What size tractor do I need? #13  
what about a cheap big older tractor for the heavy stuff and a smaller more nimble CUT for other?

might even get a rear forklift attachment..

/ What size tractor do I need?
what about a cheap big older tractor for the heavy stuff and a smaller more nimble CUT for other?

might even get a rear forklift attachment..

We're currently using an old Hyster for the unloading jobs, but it's running really bad, and considering that it's not in constant use, it sits around as it can't be used for anything else. That's why we want to get something with more versatility. I'd rather not have two machines when one could do the work of both. We could get a smaller unit with a 3pt fork attachment, but we can't go too small or it will be inefficient for snow removal (our lot takes 15-45 minutes, depending on amount of snow, to plow with a truck, and sometimes needs plowing 2-3 times per day). I'm planning to eventually buy or build a pusher box or blade for it.

After seeing some pricing, we might have to settle for no factory cab, maybe just get a vinyl enclosure. Cabs add a lot:(

/ What size tractor do I need? #15  
many times the best 'single' machine to take care all of your needs is really.. '2' machines.

seen it alot. sometimes one big enough to get the big jobs done, is too big to do some of the small jobs efficiently. same the other direction too.

what would ti take to get the forklift going better?

weekend tune up and some tlc?

soudnguy

many times the best 'single' machine to take care all of your needs is really.. '2' machines.

seen it alot. sometimes one big enough to get the big jobs done, is too big to do some of the small jobs efficiently. same the other direction too.

what would ti take to get the forklift going better?

weekend tune up and some tlc?

soudnguy

It's a middle 60's model, Continental gas engine needs rebuilt (burns oil), needs the carb rebuilt (doesn't run off choke), needs a new fuel pump and battery, and the radiator leaks. I dread it everytime a shipment comes in, you can never tell whether it will take 1 minute or 15 minutes to get it running. This model is not even suited for our needs, it's a low clearance 3-wheeler, we have a gravel lot. It does ok in the summer when it's dry, but it's useless in the winter and spring when the ground is heaving or fresh gravel on the drive. And don't even think about getting it off the lot, it's no fun to get unstuck:laughing:

This is the way it is: We need pallet forks enough to need a machine to unload, but not enough to justify a dedicated machine. I'm not too worried about efficiency as far as using the pallet forks goes. Before we got our forklift, we would borrow the neighbor's 40hp JD compact, it worked fine for the purpose.

/ What size tractor do I need? #17  
it doesn't sound like a lost cause.. however.. I bet you could make a noce 3pt forklift attachment out of hte front of it with a bit of welding and OA

soundguy

/ What size tractor do I need? #18  
it doesn't sound like a lost cause.. however.. I bet you could make a noce 3pt forklift attachment out of hte front of it with a bit of welding and OA

soundguy

I agree, I made one years ago to put on the back of a Case 1370 dual wheel tractor. Used a three part 25' forklift mast worked great.

/ What size tractor do I need? #19  
i've tried to buy 2 in the last year.

one already had the pins and hyd hookup and all. rod was bent in the cyl though.. deal killer.

soundguy

Stopped by a Mahindra dealer today, he had a 3616, 4035 and 5010 on the lot. We really like the 4035. I've pretty much given up on a factory cab, can't justify the extra cost, so the 5010 CAB is out of the picture. Saw some pictures of the great home build cabs here on TBN, and while I've never attempted a project of that sort, I'm pretty confident that I could build a nice hard cab for way less than a factory cab, and even less than the $3500 SIMS cab.
Anyhow, I got a good offer on a 3535 also, so as far as Mahindra goes it's a toss-up between the 4035 and a 3535. The 4035 has substantially larger tires, and is available with the power shuttle, which is a big deal for us. We're favoring the shuttle vs. HST after talking to several people, the feedback has been that you'll get more torque out of a shuttle transmission vs. the hydro, and a power/hydraulic shuttle is pretty neat.
We want to visit the local Kioti dealer soon, and check out the DK40SE. Anyone know how many price increases there have been on Kioti's since last year? I had a quote from sometime last year on the DK40SE at 20,600$ but I'm sure the price has gone up since then.
On a side note, This dealer we were at is a brand new Mahindra dealer, I didn't even know they had picked up the line. (longtime New Holland dealership). Salesman said they've had the tractors in stock for only 2 weeks.