What TBN use to be like

/ What TBN use to be like #21  
It reminds me of my early CB days back in the early 70 when I was 14 or 15. I had a CB in my room and started talking to people all over town. Struck up some on-the-air friendships. Then decided to go to lunch with them. A leather clad tattood biker couple in their 50s riding as passengers with an African American parapalegic driving his wheelchair van and a mentally handicapped teen my own age showed up in my driveway. We went to lunch down at the local diner and spent many years conversing. Ahhh, those were the good old days when your parents didn't have a clue what you were doing and who you were hanging around with.... kind of like face book with warm bodies. :laughing:

Wow Moss did that bring back memories from long ago, Cb radio was so much fun when I was a kid in the 70's too.

Thanks

/ What TBN use to be like #22  
Sure wish it was more like it use to be.

/ What TBN use to be like #23  
This thread makes me think. I always wanted a politics section, mostly because coming from Canada, our political discussions are more civilized and typically discuss the issues as opposed to personal attacks. In many political threads on TBN, the opposite is true.. While it can get heated, politics is not a bloodsport here. Now I wonder the wisdom in wanting a political section because since it began I notice a change in tone in all sections, not just the political ones. There is definitely some spillover.

/ What TBN use to be like #24  
I too miss the way it use to be.
I have made a lot of friends here in fact a lot of them have come over to visit our place and stayed hours discussing TBN, tractors, politics, eating deer jerky or pepperoni.
Years ago the vicious attacks were not present, people were more kind in correcting each other, and there was a spirit of friendliness in the keyboards.
Maybe that's the reason I dont post as much as I use too. But I still come on here everyday to see what the old timers are harping about.....
I guess Im hooked.

/ What TBN use to be like #25  
I too miss the way it use to be.
I have made a lot of friends here in fact a lot of them have come over to visit our place and stayed hours discussing TBN, tractors, politics, eating deer jerky or pepperoni.
Years ago the vicious attacks were not present, people were more kind in correcting each other, and there was a spirit of friendliness in the keyboards.
Maybe that's the reason I dont post as much as I use too. But I still come on here everyday to see what the old timers are harping about.....
I guess Im hooked.

Talk about on-line friends. How ya doing Ernie? Since moving North I don't get to see or talk to you as much. What's this Bahama location stuff???

While I can hardly justify it, I still have the Yanmar & it's still running great.

Send me a PM if you have in fact moved.

/ What TBN use to be like #26  
Yes, it used to be a lot friendlier. That's cool that TBN'ers sent you cards.

I love seeing where people are from, and learning how things are done different in other places. Quite a few people on TBN I feel I know, even though I haven't met or talked to them in person.

/ What TBN use to be like #27  
I think this is still the best collection of quality individuals on the net. Period.

/ What TBN use to be like #28  
It's always dissapointing to see how poor my penmanship is. I really need to slow down and pay attention to what each letter is supposed to look like. :)

As to the change in TBN, I think it happened with they created the Front Porch. TBN went from a very well friendly site that had the best moderators anywhere. Anybody crossed the line, their comments where deleted. Some cried, others whined, but for years, it was what made this site great. Sadly, those with the least to say, made the most noise.

Can TBN become what it once was? Is it more profitable with more rancor and arguments? Seems to work for the reality shows, so manybe there is a sound financial reason for it.

While I'm still here, I don't log on every day, and some days I just glance at the latest posts titles without clicking on any of them. I'm also guilty of crossing the line, being rude and participating in heated discussions. Given a choice, I liked it a lot better when my comments where deleted.

Eddie

/ What TBN use to be like #29  
I'm fairly new here compared to the other posters on this particular tread. I'm hooked and i don't really read or post on other forums. I find tbn awesome and pretty respectful in 99% of posts, especially compared to the clowns that post in our local new paper forums. They are a bunch of racist and bigots. I swear some of them enjoy getting a raise out of other people.

/ What TBN use to be like #30  
While I'm still here, I don't log on every day, and some days I just glance at the latest posts titles without clicking on any of them.

Personally, I believe this is the inevitable result of problems on any forum being ignored or allowed to persist for too long. People stop posting very much or simply get fed up and leave, often without any warning. Here are some quotes from a blog post I read a few months ago.

Do the forums on your favorite Web sites get your blood boiling? Or simply frustrate you beyond belief? Well, join the club. You're not the only one who feels this way.

In today's anonymous Internet world, where the vast majority of users prefer to hide behind an alias or cryptic user ID, these forums are populated by people who simply don't care about the feelings of fellow participants. Most of them are rude know-it-alls who get more satisfaction out of blasting a fine point in someone else's post than actually contributing helpful information.

By far, the biggest problem on today's forums is the irresponsible and rude voicing of opinions that may or may not be relevant to the conversation. While I'm not saying that people shouldn't voice opinions where appropriate, it's the way that this is done that makes it a problem.

The scariest part of depending on forum information for support is the accuracy issue. Is the information on a forum accurate? Will it do more harm than good?

Examples like this can be found on any forum. One guy says one thing, another guy says the opposite. Who's right?

Part of the problem is a subset of the same sick jerks who start flame wars. In this case, they're spreading their "expertise", which is neither accurate nor reliable. They want to be seen as experts, so they spread their opinions as facts. Will you be foolish enough to take the advice of one of these people? I hope not.

Quotes from: Why Forums Suck | An Eclectic Mind