What the heck are spin out wheels???

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #11  
Back in the day when row crop tractors had to fit a multitude of tasks they were very useful, if not essential. Now, not so much.

An example would be my Dad's 77 Oliver tractor that performed two critical tasks. In Winter it was set out wide and carried a two row mounted corn picker. In Summer it was set in narrow and pulled an Oliver 60 square bale hay baler.

It did not have "power adjust" wheels so twice a year he had to wrestle the tire/wheels from one side to the other to widen it's stance or narrow it's stance. Equipped with Power Adjust wheels this task would have taken 30 minutes. For him it was half a day.

/ What the heck are spin out wheels???
I looked at them again last night when I got the tractor home, makes perfect sense how they work...also can see how they would wear and need to be replaced. I imagine that since I don't farm and the tractor will be used to grade my driveway and mow the grass, I'll never move them...probably paint them in place so that they can't move even!!! Looks like 0 wear on them so far, so I guess the PO never moved them either!

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #13  
Pretty hard to find a tractor that's been used in the last 20 years in situations where the wheels had to be constantly changed. Most people have a tractor for each specific task and that tractor is properly adjusted and then never changed. spin outs are from a lost era.

Pretty hard to find a tractor that's been used in the last 20 years in situations where the wheels had to be constantly changed. Most people have a tractor for each specific task and that tractor is properly adjusted and then never changed. spin outs are from a lost era.

Haha, well, she's almost 40 years old...so as long as the wheels stay on I'll consider myself lucky, and it can always be a "talking point" when I'm showing her off!! :)

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #15  
Haha, well, she's almost 40 years old...so as long as the wheels stay on I'll consider myself lucky, and it can always be a "talking point" when I'm showing her off!! :)

Are the centers cast iron?? If so, you also gained some traction weight over standard stamped steel wheels.

Are the centers cast iron?? If so, you also gained some traction weight over standard stamped steel wheels.

Hmmm, didn't notice...I'll check it out this evening if it isn't too dark by the time I get home...

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #17  
Do they make rims like that for a 4x4 truck?? I want more offset for that wide stance look. :laughing:

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #18  
My ford 961 has their version of power adjust/spin out wheels. I've changed them a couple times in the last four years or do and they work really slick.

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #19  
My ford 961 has their version of power adjust/spin out wheels. I've changed them a couple times in the last four years or do and they work really slick.

Old Ford tractors were the first I knew of. Saw them when I was a kid. And saw several AC tractors with them in the same era.

/ What the heck are spin out wheels??? #20  
The power adjust wheels should be no problem for the tractor size you mention; however, they are not as strong as rigid mount wheels. I didn't pay any attention to my M135GX when I bought it - my wife and I stopped by the dealer one day, I asked him what one would cost, he said he had one on the lot, gave me a price, and when my wife didn't put up a fight I quickly signed. It was equipped with the things I had on my list plus some that I didn't pay attention to until it was delivered. When it arrived I noticed the power adjust wheels and thought, "those are never going to be shifted", not thinking about what might happen. Last fall I was using our 30 foot cultivator, was in a spot in the absolute middle of a section when the left wheel fell off. The torque delivered through the angled bars and clamps was too much or else the welds on the bars were defective. Only 2 bars drive - the others center the wheel. Welds on one of the drive bars fatigued and broke.

I called my cousin who came out with our Gators and told me that happened to a Ford tractor he had before I joined the partnership. I can't even remember what model the Ford is - it's relegated to odd jobs and isn't on my list here (I think we have 11 little used tractors not on my list). Our Massey 135 also has them. The dealer power adjust wheels aren't even on the option list for my tractor and the dealer principal can't remember why he would have special ordered them as only a few of his customers have a need.

So Kubota is replacing my wheels with the standard cast center wheels I really wanted. It caused me the extreme embarrassment of having to pull the cultivator out from behind and finish our fall field work with the JD 7720 while the Kubota sat so far from any road it couldn't be seen. My cousin, who has been picking on me for selecting the Kubota instead of buying a Deere never fails to stick a knife in my ribs and twist.