What to Buy

/ What to Buy
I am 90% sure I am going with the Kubota. However, now I am not sure what Model. :) When looking at all these posts about HP and weight, I have my eye on the M9540 4WD with Cab. My wife says I occassionaly suffer from "trying to lenghten my manhood with bigger toys". :) Is the 9540 too big compared to the 7040?

/ What to Buy #42  
Often the "awards" are given based on money that changes hands. Like the Car&Driver car and truck of the year awards. Based on dollars changing hands more than anything else. I'd take all those awards with a shaker of salt.

Now, if the companies would open the books and show us exactly how many warranty claims were made for each model with sortable details on what broke, time to repair, time for parts, and total cost..... Also, it would be good to know what spare parts are being ordered, so we can figure out what is breaking. But, companies don't share that pertinent information!

Still, even with all the customer loyalty exhibited here, I would still buy Kubota first and Deere second when basing the decision on factors like 1) quality & reliability, 2) features, 3) long term support, 4) long term value. Other view points and opinions are still valid, but that's what I would do....

jb

On edit: The 9540 is a great machine. It is larger than the 7040, but "too big"? That's subjective. Some would say it's only too big if you can't turn it around on your property. I would think that it would be a good choice for what you want to do. The bigger machine will have a larger more comfortable cab and be more productive, but will use more fuel doing it. All a balancing act.... From the Kubota web page, the 9540 is only a foot longer than the 7040. Quit diddling around and order it already!

jb

Last edited:
   / What to Buy #43  
Is the 9540 too big compared to the 7040?

I like the Kubota M series. I don't think I would buy the 7040 model though, I'm sure it's a fine machine, but here's why. The next step up in the Kubota lineup, for "just" a couple thousand dollars more, is the M8540. The 8540 and 9540 are bigger more capable machines (longer wheelbase, more lift, more power, more weight, more hydraulic flow, etc).

I also thought the 8540/9540 machines would be too big. I test drove the 7040 and the 9540 and found I was comfortable with the 9540 and was surprised at how manueverable it was. You should test drive both of them.

A couple of guys here on tractorbynet have traded from a 7040 to the 8540.

So for me, if the 6040 was not enough tractor I'd probably skip the 7040 and look at the next size up.

/ What to Buy #45  
Often the "awards" are given based on money that changes hands. Like the Car&Driver car and truck of the year awards. Based on dollars changing hands more than anything else. I'd take all those awards with a shaker of salt.

Now, if the companies would open the books and show us exactly how many warranty claims were made for each model with sortable details on what broke, time to repair, time for parts, and total cost..... Also, it would be good to know what spare parts are being ordered, so we can figure out what is breaking. But, companies don't share that pertinent information!

Still, even with all the customer loyalty exhibited here, I would still buy Kubota first and Deere second when basing the decision on factors like 1) quality & reliability, 2) features, 3) long term support, 4) long term value. Other view points and opinions are still valid, but that's what I would do....

jb

On edit: The 9540 is a great machine. It is larger than the 7040, but "too big"? That's subjective. Some would say it's only too big if you can't turn it around on your property. I would think that it would be a good choice for what you want to do. The bigger machine will have a larger more comfortable cab and be more productive, but will use more fuel doing it. All a balancing act.... From the Kubota web page, the 9540 is only a foot longer than the 7040. Quit diddling around and order it already!

jb
"JB"...Very well stated; that has always been my belief too!! Contributions embellishing the decisions?

/ What to Buy #46  
Someone mentioned that larger equates to more fuel burned. That is not always the case. Larger equates to faster and or lower RPMs for the same work. Manytimes it is much more fuel efficient to run a larger tractor at lower RPM compared to a small tractor at full throttle to accomplish the same work. Bush hogging might be the exception to this unless you have a 2 speed PTO. I once many years ago used my 9000 Ford to bushhog using the 1000 RPM shaft with an adapter. Ran the tractor at half throttle, had plenty of power and ran as fast as I cared to. Tractor actually used less fuel than our 65 HP tractor would have doing the same job. Just have to watch the RPM to make sure you dont burn up a gearbox.
JUST and Observation for consideration.

/ What to Buy #47  
One last thing, and it sounds like it won't matter anyway, but your 3 point implements for that 9540 are going to be a lot more money and you will have fewer places to get them, than for a smaller tractor.

Just food for thought.

/ What to Buy #48  
How many acres are you farming again? It seems to me your looking at a lot of tractor for 60 acres.

/ What to Buy #49  
One last thing, and it sounds like it won't matter anyway, but your 3 point implements for that 9540 are going to be a lot more money and you will have fewer places to get them, than for a smaller tractor.

Just food for thought.

Actually, both of his choices, the 7040 and 9540,are cat 2. It's not like his choice is between a 24 hp "B" series or the M9540!

Yes, the 9540 is able to be used on larger pieces of property, but it will be just fine on 60 acres. Spacious cab, excellent turning radius, plenty of power for any task. If I could afford one, I'd get one! (maybe he can reward my advice and get a price break by purchasing 2? )

/ What to Buy #50  
Just my opinion, for your hobby farm I agree with the wife. Although if money is no option go bigger....