What to Buy

/ What to Buy #51  
Actually, both of his choices, the 7040 and 9540,are cat 2. It's not like his choice is between a 24 hp "B" series or the M9540!

Yes, the 9540 is able to be used on larger pieces of property, but it will be just fine on 60 acres. Spacious cab, excellent turning radius, plenty of power for any task. If I could afford one, I'd get one! (maybe he can reward my advice and get a price break by purchasing 2? )

While they are both cat 2 in size, an implement that is ok to use with the 7040 simply would not hold up on the 9540. All implements will need to be heavy duty- commercial grade to be able to withstand the weight and power of the 9540. Sort of like comparing a medium sized cat 1 (35hp) to a larger cat 1 machine (50hp). They don't need the same quality of implement to hold up.

/ What to Buy #52  
True Story on tractor selection:

I often wonder how many people on here that give adivice have actually have driven or used all three tractors your considering. I know many are brand specific and die hard with one brand or a dealer. If your like me I buy the best for the money. My fultime job is a government job which supports my supports my farming program. I was just helping a local organization that was in the process of buying a new tractor. Along with me were 5 other farmers helping select the tractor. We looked at Deere, Kubota, Montana, and NH. This was govt money so as you know we had to take bids. However, we don't have to recommend the low bid if we give reasons why we chose a higher bid. Things like better dealers, parts etc... So really you can always justify why you bought what you did most of the time. When we got the bids back it went from highest to lowest, Deere, NH, Kubota, Montana. Just like many of you probably would have projected. One of the reason we got a quote for the Montana was because I own one. They all laughed at me. After getting the quotes we sat down and decided to look at the Kubota and Montana and toss the higher bids out. We figured they couldn't come down low enough and after asking they couldn't. Our first meeting, before test driving, I was the only one who was at all considering the Montana. Again they gave me a hard time. Several were Deere owners themselves. We all took off a day of work and went together to test drive the tractors. To make a long story short, after test driving both tractors, these gentleman selected the Montana 4-1 over the Kubota. 5-1 if you count me. The gentleman who selected the Kubota said he liked the Montana better but was leary of dealer stability. I didn't even vote. One of the fellows is a former offensive line college football player about 6' 280lbs, got on the Kubota the metal and deck actually bowed down noticably to the group as he got on. We didn't notice this with the Montana. Each took about 15 minutes driving both tractors, so we spent the whole day out there. It was a fun time. They ended up purchasing the Montana 4940 with FEL and ROPS after a group of 5 farmers test drove the machines. Last I heard they are very happy with it and are still talking to the five farmers that helped.

My recommendations is for everyone. Go test drive all these machines and see what fits your fancy. All have their own pros-cons. Those who have an open mind might be surprised. There is really no wrong or right, you just have to be happy with your tractor.

/ What to Buy #53  
I wouldn't even consider buying a tractor out of a selection of tractors without a test drive.. that's like tractor buying 101, page 2..

soundguy

/ What to Buy #54  
If you really want to put a twist in tractor selection. I think the Montana T7074 has the Deere engine. Best of both worlds now...

I haven't had the opportunity to test out one of these yet.

/ What to Buy #56  
Good point.. Must be tractor envy......cause I couldn't talk wife into letting me get the bigger one..

/ What to Buy
Unfortunately I had to jump back into my day job for a couple weeks. I am actually going down this weekend to talk with the dealer.

/ What to Buy #59  
I wouldn't even consider buying a tractor out of a selection of tractors without a test drive.. that's like tractor buying 101, page 2..

soundguy

This is how I ended up with a Kioti, they weren't even a consideration until I drove one and compared features.

/ What to Buy #60  
Same with my Montana 5740C. I've heard good things about Kioti, what size did you buy and how do you like it?