What to buy??

/ What to buy?? #11  
Look and see if there is a farm show coming up near you....I am in the same boat as you are and that show was a great place to see EVERY POSSIBLE MACHINE within walking distance from each other.

I would also say look at what you currently do, then look at what you want to do....then what you would like to do. Then start looking at sizes. For me the want and would like are pretty close together, and the same machine can really do both just a little slower then a large machine. Everyone and I do mean EVERYONE wants to up sell you in this market....reminds me of the motorcycle market.....you really don't need a 1200cc motorcycle to ride on the highway, I rode a 225 across this state, and there are books by a female that rode one across Africa, and then rode from Alaska to the very tip of south America....all on a Yamaha XT225 (Books called Lois on the loose if you are interested and they are good books) point being that you really don't need a big machine to do a lot of things....a small machine correctly run and projects planned can make do with less.

Yes I know some things you HAVE to have that big machine....round bails and such....but I have yet to find anything on my 13ac that is a mixture of fields, woods, and pretty swampy with some steep hills that my little JD650 would not do. I really have a problem seeing how people with 4ac need a 40hp tractor.

/ What to buy??
Thanks for your input but this is not my first machine nor is it going to be my only machine. Figure it this way my JD 755 has been around for a long time and done more than its fair share of work but I know its short Cummings and what I would like it to do better or faster and for that it needs two things a little more weight and more power! If I had my way I would go with a little over 40 HP and a cab but cost is a concern so adding some pounds and getting into the 33 to 38HP range is the smart compromise balanced out to my needs. This is not a decision made lightly nor is it totally uninformed.

The main reason for me questioning what to buy is my lack of keeping up with the market and what is or isn't a good machine these days.

As far as bikes go? There is no way in **** I could go backward to a 250cc and make do! My current ride is a 1700cc Triumph Thunderbird and I have ridden everything ranging in size from a 2.5 HP mini bike all the way up!

/ What to buy?? #13  
Thanks for your input but this is not my first machine nor is it going to be my only machine. Figure it this way my JD 755 has been around for a long time and done more than its fair share of work but I know its short Cummings and what I would like it to do better or faster and for that it needs two things a little more weight and more power! If I had my way I would go with a little over 40 HP and a cab but cost is a concern so adding some pounds and getting into the 33 to 38HP range is the smart compromise balanced out to my needs. This is not a decision made lightly nor is it totally uninformed.

The main reason for me questioning what to buy is my lack of keeping up with the market and what is or isn't a good machine these days.

As far as bikes go? There is no way in **** I could go backward to a 250cc and make do! My current ride is a 1700cc Triumph Thunderbird and I have ridden everything ranging in size from a 2.5 HP mini bike all the way up!

Sorry if you took my comment the wrong way. What I was trying to say is people always talk down little bikes, saying they just can't do "it". You have been in the motorcycle world for a while it seems so you know the kind of comments I am talking about. I am in the same boat, I have not bought a machine in over 15 years. I really don't know what I am looking at, and if what I see on the NET is something that I can really take to heart as what the machine can do, or if it is just an over blown ad.

In my shopping over the past 3 months....been tire kicking for quite a while, but am now just getting ready to let the moths out of my wallet, I have found just as many "mid sized" machines with low hours as "small" machines with low hours....the answer is always the same, machine too big, machine too small, machine would or would not do (X).

That is the trap I am trying to avoid myself.

And your comment about going "backward" is just the kind of attitude that I was trying to talk about.....it is not "backward" if the machine does just what you want it to do. It is not "backward" if it does everything you need it to do. I have read on this very site so many posts that go like. I have a 2ac house plot and I need a tractor with a bucket, I am looking at a JD 3032R with a 72" deck...do you think I need to go bigger...oh and only about 1/2 ac is going to be mowed. And so many people say yes to that question. Well yea I guess it will work, but I highly doubt it is the best tool for the job. Just like telling that person that just passed their MST to not get anything smaller then an 800 if they want to ride on the highway....know a person that did just that against my suggestions, now he has sold the bike for a loss and bought the same kind he took his motorcycle tests on and could not be more happy.

It is all about the right tool for the job.

/ What to buy?? #14  
Yep, all about the right tool for the right job. Whether it's tractors, motorcycles or mowers, etc. I bought a huge touring bike thinking I was going to see the country. Truth is it never happened and my priorities have changed. Took a small loss on the Mega Harley and bought a Road King, suits my riding better. I don't need a fairing, tour pack and all that when I ride at most 300 mile day trips. Same for my new tractor, it fits my needs. Bigger isn't always better. But really, you can over think this. It isn't that complicated.

/ What to buy??
At first I started to take your post wrong but after re-reading it and stumbling across your other post I think I understand your position better. For me its experience and the work I will do with the machine that will dictate its size and power. Yes its easy to buy something too small or too big if you don't have the experience of using the machine for the tasks at hand.

Again thanks for the post and hopefully someone can learn from it.

/ What to buy?? #16  
I think that is where I am at....over thinking it.

/ What to buy??
I was going to suggest the Kioti as an option, but if you don't like the HST pedal, that's understandable. An LS G3033 or G3038 would fit the bill as well....33 and 38hp respectively in the same size machine. LS doesn't prevent dealers from advertising actual prices, so my dealer runs an ad in Craigslist pretty much all the time. This is a gear model, but an HST should be less than $1K more....lot of machine for the money.

LS G3038 tractor loader, 38hp, 4 wheel drive

I was wondering what type of rear set up is in those LS tractors. Are they a planetary gear set up or not? I was looking at a few different off brands yesterday and was surprised at some of the drive systems used especially in the Chinese made tractors but have found that even JD has made some compromises on some of their materials and designs that concern me for the long term buyer.

Hope to get out and look close at the LS this week. I talked a little with the nearest dealer I could find and have an Idea of cost but still need to go look and see them in person.

/ What to buy?? #18  
For sizing views -- I'm 5'11",definitely not on the thin side. and wear 13D or 12EE cowboy boots. I've run my Max25 HST since last spring without a problem hitting the pedal, forward or reverse. My biggest problem has been this winter getting the little stub 4WD pedal without looking down.

I fit in the seat fairly well and have no problems (dis)mounting without hitting anything. About the only time I have issues is wearing my thermal overalls and bumping the light switch and turn signals with a knee.

But as someone suggested above look at your needs before settling on a model or size. If your old JD 755 was 20HP and struggled to pull a mower but a Max25 can do the same amount of work because of improved hydraulics, do you really need the 20HP jump?

Just :2cents:

/ What to buy??
The max is too small plain and simple. It lacks the weight to do the work I need done in a timely manner. I am not worried about cutting grass that is what I have a lawn mower for. I am more concerned with its ability to move dirt and plow threw or eat threw a snow drifts that are sometime (most times) higher than the seat on the max . This tractor is a work machine and will be put to the test with me as its owner!

My concerns are with build quality things like spur axels -vs - planetary and which will stand the test of time/abuse better and how much digging force it has, how much weight it can lift into the dump box and how high it can reach because that box isn't mounted on a 1/2 ton truck and sits a bit further up. I am concerned about how much shale it can haul away with my other half operating it while I break it loose with the big (12,500lbs backhoe loader) machine and still find time to take the bike for a ride before the day is out so we don't spend all our time at work or working at home.

/ What to buy?? #20  
I was wondering what type of rear set up is in those LS tractors. Are they a planetary gear set up or not? I was looking at a few different off brands yesterday and was surprised at some of the drive systems used especially in the Chinese made tractors but have found that even JD has made some compromises on some of their materials and designs that concern me for the long term buyer.

Hope to get out and look close at the LS this week. I talked a little with the nearest dealer I could find and have an Idea of cost but still need to go look and see them in person.

I don't know about all of the models, but the R series manuals/parts diagrams call them planetary drives.