What to do with a rusted out Subaru???

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #11  
After I posted I researched your posting name and realize you are pretty handy with a welder, have sheep, sawmill, dumptruck, polebarn and lots of implements. You say you have 40 acres, so the playground is big enough to get use out of it.

When I was putting up my fences I had an old Datsun Diesel King Kab truck that became basically my fencing truck. No insurance/tags, but I had a rig I built that fit the reciever style hitch I fabbed up out of 2 in tubing that had a roll of high tensel electric wire on one side and a smaller size wire on the other. Easy to back truck into right position and attach wire and drive off rolling out wire or pull it by hand back to the other corner. I kept all my fencing supplies in it and it saved a lot of daily loading/unloading. Kept it loaded til all fences were up. So you could choose a chore for it to be loaded to do.

If I had it, would use it to keep yard maintenance tools in it. Rakes, shovels, weedeaters, chainsaw, pole saw, axes. When I needed to do that type of work, everything is loaded and out of the weather. Finished for the day, shut the door and go inside, tools already stored.

With a dumptruck/loader/sawmill, keep all your oils/fluids in it so you can drive to where you need them. Keeps your buckets out of the weather and out of your pickup.

With 40 acres and a sawmill, sounds like it would make a pretty good rolling tool box. Keep things in it for fence repair, maintenance, even build a pipe rack type of platform on it from the 4 corners and have a solid built drivable scaffold for working on lights in the top of a barn or shelter or drive it along the side to stand on to reach an eve. Mount a regular vise off of one post and a pipe vise from the other, always nice to have a vise handy even out in the field. I would think it would make some sort of off road maintenance/support vehicle that you could keep loaded and make daily tasks easier.

Rusty? Who cares? Go to wally world and buy rattle can camoflage paint to spray your welds or add ons and the body too as far as that goes to make it look like a woodsmans vehicle instead of an old car. If mom is just taking it off the road, it surely is roadworthy enough for off road use for a few years. Rip out all the seats other than the front one to give more storage/ hauling space.

You got enough going on within that 40 acres that you can utilize a free 4wd vehicle till something major breaks on it, then scrap it out.

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #12  
Give it to charity and take a tax deduction. That's how I get rid of dead vehicles like the Gooberu you describe. Most public radio stations have a vehicle donation program, and I think the Salvation Army still has one. You should be able to claim $500 - $1,000 on your taxes. Plus the charity comes and gets it from you. It's an easy way to unload a junker.

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #13  
Pull the drive train and mount it on your welded up frame then attach a generator /welder + pressure washer pump + air compressor for a go any where power station / repair vehicle / tool box. (Better add an ice box cooled by the factory AC). Frame mount a hydraulic lever to use as a field jack. Add some kind of tire changer and an anvil and a vise and a chop saw. Ultimate work platform / mule / self propelled field work bench. Oh yeah... and a pto winch.

Put a deck in front of / under it and have the first air conditioned lawn mower on the block.

Use the drive train to build a half scale replica Duce and a half or Sherman tank.

Drive train + welded frame + compressor + big air tank + 12' long 14" dia PVC pipe = self propelled pumpkin artillery cannon. Add a second 4" barrel for a water balloon barrage.
139512.jpg

Log hauler for your saw mill. Skidder.

Fork lift.

Mini mud truck.

Mini model steam shovel or crane or bulldozer
or fire truck (parades, just in case, hosing down the kids on a hot day).
firebug.jpg

Amphibian vehicle.

Snow plow / blower.

Trencher.

Chipper.

Hovercraft.

Boom man lift for painting the house, trimming trees.

Self propelled BBQ / Texas smoker.

Last edited:
   / What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #14  
Dusty has the right idea. Go ahead and beat on it till it breaks. Not too redneck for me. Sounds like fun. But I just wouldn't get into doing something silly like trying to transfer its drivetrain into a homemade dirt buggy. Turns into a money pit.

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #15  
Bust out the glass and use it for a rally car around the place.

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #16  
If the heater works, then it isn't dead yet.

Is it 4x4 or AWD? If 4X4, is it single or dual range? If it's dual-range 4x4, then I'd use it as a utility vehicle. Not so sure about an automatic, but what the heck...

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #17  
Would it be usefull for the spouse or older kids to use around the acreage? I was thinking seeing it was automatic they may be more comfy driving it then driving a tractor for certain chores. Not to mention a load of fun for teens. With the back seats out it could haul a decent amount. It's not like you'd care about the springs.

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #18  
   / What to do with a rusted out Subaru??? #19  
To bad you are so far from me. I have a fiberglass kit car I built in 1966 and am trying to find a subi I can use for the motor and tranie, mid engine. A co in Ten does this with a Porche fiberglass body they make it looks good and runs real fast. Subi running gear is very hard to find inTx and very expensive when you find if it runs its worth over $ 1000.00.

/ What to do with a rusted out Subaru???
6011 and 06 have the kind of responses I was looking for, and I have some mid 80's Toyota 4x4 PU's I might do that to. A buddy of mine pulled in the yard with his late model Subi last night with an obvious exhaust leak, and when I gave him **** he said it was unfixable because the aluminum head had corroded away, so I think my subi will become his so he can steal the heads off it., but this was good excercise for me.

Thanks!!!