What to do with used anti-freeze?

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #11  
In this day and age, everyone who drains their own anti-freeze or changes their own oil really needs to know, before starting, where their proper local disposal or collection site is. My flame proof suit is on and buckled, but honestly, this is just part of being responsible.

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #12  
Local mechanics, quick lubes, parts stores or county facilities will often take
it. My local implement dealer is my choice they have the antifreezed haulled
off to a recycler, and my waste oil they use to heat their shop.

Typically a few phone calls and you can have a reliable place to take it.

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #13  
In this day and age, everyone who drains their own anti-freeze or changes their own oil really needs to know, before starting, where their proper local disposal or collection site is. My flame proof suit is on and buckled, but honestly, this is just part of being responsible.

You are absolutely right!

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #14  

Naw! You shouldn't get flamed for that suggestion. It makes too much sense. To get flamed you would probably have to suggest something like feeding the used antifreeze to the local stray cats and dogs. :D

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #15  
   / What to do with used anti-freeze? #16  
I just dump it on the ground. It is miniscule amount, and hauling it somewhere likely pollutes as much with the exhaust fumes in the air. We shoot ourselves in the foot so often.

I'm not manacled by the environMENTALism. :D

That was a good one.

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #17  
As others have already stated... almost anybody will take it... quickie lubes, shops, some parts stores, lube distributors.. etc.. Its recyclable and can be sold in large quantities.. thats why they are willing to take it for free. With that being said, don't expect to get paid for 5 gallons of dirty antifreeze.. its not worth anything. 5000 gallons is worth a little something. DON'T dump it down the drain!!!
Take it to the dealer where you bought your tractor, they most likely have a bulk container.

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #18  
if you wish to "reuse' before you "recycle" it's a no-freeze alternative to using water to fill a land roller. some may debate that it could leak out/drain from rust in the roller tank, but that's the same chance as a leaky radiator / blown hose on a vehicle.

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #19  
Gee, in this thread, everybody seems to be concerned with the environment. In the thread below, everybody is burning old oil filters complete with the contaminated oil. Sounds like the right hand and left hand aren't in agreement. :confused2:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/188946-what-do-you-do-used.html#post2154138

i'm not an expert in the field of recycling, but some might pose the argument that by burning used oil you are reusing an existing carbon product, as opposed to having the used product AND forcing the production of new oil to be burned in a heating appliance designed for #1/#2 oil.

i can't say as to the overall environmental impact, but the only downside i can see would be whatever contaminants are lost to the atmosphere when burning waste oil i'd also have to think that if you were using a waste oil burner, somewhere, someone already brought this up and there are probably some sort of built in filters to help with that?

/ What to do with used anti-freeze? #20  
I checked around here a few years back. Most shops that change anti-freeze for you recycle it, but they won't take outside anti-freeze. One garage took used oil and anti-freeze, but they said that their anti-freeze tank was full. The only place I found to take mine to was the county dump. They have a hazardous waste place to take it. About once/year, the local county recycling place in town takes paint, antifreeze, used oil, etc.

I don't worry about small amount on the ground. It'll biodegrade if it can't get to the water table very fast, e.g. has to go through lots of soil. Same way with used oil. However, you can very quickly overload an area to where it'll runoff to ground water or to our lakes and streams.

All my vehicles but my tractor are on long time use antifreeze (e.g. 100k mile stuff). So, I only have the 2.5 quarts from my tractor every other year to dispose of.

One antifreeze that's a little more safe, at least not enticing to animals, is propylene glycol. Still, you have to be careful where you dispose of it. Don't put it down the drain.

Ralph