What to look for when buying a chisel plow?

/ What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #1  

wemsit

Tractor
2008 John Deere 5103 4x4
Hey,

I have a 50hp john deere 5103 and I am looking to buy a chisel plow. I have silt loam soil and was looking at this fred cain 7 chisel plow. Fred Cain 7 Shank Field Cultivator with 66in bar

however, is that a chisel plow or a field cultivator? I am hoping to get 8" deep since 10-12" deep should be nothing but clay, although maybe a chisel plow won't even affect that?

Anyways, any help on what to look for in a chisel plow is greatly appreciated.

/ What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #2  
The link shows a cultivator. Chisel plows have heavier longer tines.

I’ve owned three point hitch units and tow behind with hydraulic wheel lift.

The trailed units would be easier to maintain depth with a lower HP tractor such as yours. You may need to remove a couple of tines.

If your 50 HP JD is 4 wheel drive it should be able to pull 7 or 9 tines in sandy loam.

/ What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #3  
I pull a 66" five shank Dirt Dog brand Field Cultivator behind my 3,600 pound, 37-horsepower Kubota L3560. A good match. The Fred Cain F/C and Dirt Dog F/C seem to be constructed of identical components.

Your Deere 5103 is around 5,000 pounds if 4-WD and should be well matched to the Fred Cain seven shank.

Field Cultivators are engineered for secondary tillage. Chisel Plows are much heavier and are engineered for primary tillage.

If you contemplate using the Fred Cain in soft unbroken ground be sure the soil is moist at least a deep as you intend to penetrate. Penetrating 8" will not be a problem in moist, fairly soft soil. Dry ground will defeat you and likely break points.

A Field Cultivator is NOT a Chisel Plow nor a Moldboard Plow in its ability to handle tough soil and primary tillage.

MORE: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/339095-dirt-dog-all-purpose-plow.html?highlight=

COMPACT TRACTOR 'TRUE' CHISEL PLOWS:
Buckeye Tractor Online Catalog Page 18-01 Chisel Plows

Attachments

• DSC00359.jpg
    DSC00359.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
  • DSC00362.jpg
    DSC00362.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 291
  • DSC00361.jpg
    DSC00361.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 334
Last edited:
   / What to look for when buying a chisel plow?
awesome, thanks for the replies. I am worried the ground will be tough to break up. I want to break up 8-10 acres. Any advice on other ways to break up the land would be much appreciated. It hasn't been broken up in 30 years and has been cut for hay and used as pasture land for all of it.

/ What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #5  
The field cultivator will loosen up the soil but a chisel plow is needed to alleviate traction. It might be tough going but no big deal. Work it as deep as your tractor can handle maintaining traction. Go a little deeper on subsequent passes.

Make subsequent passes NOT parallel to previous. Just a few degrees off would suffice.

Have fun!

Last edited:
   / What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #6  
I want to break up 8-10 acres.

It hasn't been broken up in thirty years and has been cut for hay and used as pasture land for all thirty years. I am worried the ground will be tough too break up.

Advice on other ways to break up the land would be much appreciated.

Ground described above will be too hard for a Field Cultivator. Nothing packs earth harder than animal hooves.

You should be able to find a used 12" two bottom or three bottom Moldboard Plow for $300 to $600.

A 12" plow is the traditional sodbuster's plow. A 12" plow cuts a furrow 12" wide, 5" to 7" deep, the penetration you are looking for. A two bottom 12" plow will turn soil in 24" swathes, a three bottom 12" plow in 36" swathes.

Where I live in rural Florida it is pretty easy to find contract plow operators. They use 12" plows, usually in eight bottom configuration.

14" plows are common too. A 14" plow cuts a furrow 14" wide, 6" to 8" deep. (Etc.)

After you plow the soil will be more productive for ten years, then it will be time to plow again.

NEW MOLDBOARD PLOWS:
2 Bottom Tractor Plow

Best to plow prior to first Fall freeze. Let inverted soil sit through Winter. Use a Disc Harrow to knock down plow furrows in the very early Spring.

I speculate you could sub a rear/angle blade for the Disc Harrow, to knock down furrows.

Attachments

• DSC00420.jpg
    DSC00420.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 211
  • DSC00147.jpg
    DSC00147.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
Last edited:
   / What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #7  
If you are concerned with compaction the chisel plows will be your best option. Moldboard plowing is fine for tillage after the compaction is addressed.

/ What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #8  
If you decide on the chisel plow, I suggest that you look for a 5 shank for your tractor. I pull a 7 shank behind a 75hp 4wd. In row crop ground it pulls great. In hardened pasture ground I have to lift the plow some due to lack of traction even in 4wd.

/ What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #9  
You've gotten good advice. If you search the Bowling Green CL, there's a guy a bit north of you (not me) that has several moldboard and chisel plows for sale now at reasonable prices. Field cultivators, too, though I see those regularly at auctions around here, where they go pretty cheap. I bought a seven-shank for $70 a couple years back.