What to look for when buying a chisel plow?

/ What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #12  
Last edited:
   / What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #13  
The 7 shank that I have is an Athens 156. Mine is old and rusty but they still make the very same plow today. I bought cheap since it needed a few parts. I was able to buy all of the replacement parts direct from Athens Plow Company. I also purchased all new twisted chisel points from Shoup Manufacturing. It works like new but needs painting.

Athens Plow - Model 156 Chisel Plow

/ What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #14  
   / What to look for when buying a chisel plow?
Thanks everyone for the replies. What is the difference between a bar mounted and pull behind for a chisel plow?

/ What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #16  
Thanks everyone for the replies. What is the difference between a bar mounted and pull behind for a chisel plow?

The way it hooks to the tractor, a bar or 3point mounted like this. IMG_1157.JPG

A pull type hooks to the draw bar and has its own lifting wheel that raise and lower buy hydraulic cylinders , pulls like a trailer. IMG_1158.JPG

/ What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #17  
What is the difference between a 3-Pt. mounted and pull behind chisel plow?

All Three Point Hitch mounted implements transfer some implement weight and some draft force to the tractor rear wheels when the Top Link is slack, improving rear wheel tractor traction. When the Top Link is in compression, a more limited amount of implement weight and some draft force is transferred to the front wheels, improving front wheel traction, especially with 4-WD tractors.

Note that Buckeye Tractor's Chisel Plows for compact tractors are all Three Point Hitch models.

Pull type Chisel Plows put all the implement weight on the shanks, assuming chisel gauge wheels are out of soil contact, so in theory could penetrate deeper. However, the tractor will have less tractive power. So pull type Chisel Plows require a tractor with options to increase tractive power (4-WD, loaded tires, wheel weights, R1/ag tires, dual rear wheels on each side, etc.) and a lot of engine power output.

Pull type Chisel Plows articulate (follow ground contour) independently of the tractor.

Pretty much the same for Three Point Hitch vs towed Disc Harrows.

Pretty much the same for Three Point Hitch vs towed Cultipackers, except even 1,200 pound Cultipackers require little tractor traction nor power to pull, as Cultipackers roll over soil surface.

Last edited:
   / What to look for when buying a chisel plow?
So, I’m new to farming and want to make sure my thinking and understanding is right. I believe I want to chisel plow my 8-10 acres right before our first frost then add my needed nutrients and then in the spring i will want to go over the field with a disc harrow 3-4 times? I’m guessing I only need to chisel plow once in November here then in March or April I will disc over. Am I correct in thinking this? Also, can my 50ho 4x4 tractor pull a standard 7’ disc harrow. I’ve been looking at tarter only because it seems cheapish and easiy to get from TSC. Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions for me? I am open ears

/ What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #19  
Can my 50ho 4x4 tractor pull a standard 7’ disc harrow? I’ve been looking at Tarter only because it seems cheapish and easy to get from TSC. Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions for me? I am open ears.

Now that you have acquired a tractor, enter the brand and model in your T-B-N PROFILE.

Width of a Disc Harrow tells you and tells your readers little.

The diameter of the pans and spacing between the pans are key.

You can mount and pull a DH with 20" diameter pans for sure. Depending on the weight of your tractor you may be able to mount and pull a DH with 22" diameter pans.

The soil in Tennessee is highly variable. Chisel plowing creates a less rough field than moldboard plowing. With a DH with 20" diameter pans I speculate only one or two passes would be necessary. With a a DH with 22" diameter pans I speculate only one pass would be necessary.

MORE: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...disc-harrow-selection-compact.html?highlight=

CountyLine Disc Harrows are made by Tarter in Kentucky. Box frame Tarter DH'S have clamp-plate adjustment of the gang angles which requires wrenches to adjust. Howse also used clamp-plate adjustment. Angle iron frame DHs are only for gardens.

CountyLine/Tarter HDD7 weighs 846 pounds on 20 X 18" pans = 42 pounds implement pressure on each pan. HDD7 pan spacing = 7".
Discs — Tarter Farm and Ranch Equipment | American Made Quality Since 1945

Look for a DH with 20" or 22" diameter pans and notched pans front and rear. When you disc after a Chisel Plow you will want to chop up surface growth before planting.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/332493-tandem-lift-disc-harow-monroe.html?highlight=

Last edited:
   / What to look for when buying a chisel plow? #20  
So, I’m new to farming and want to make sure my thinking and understanding is right. I believe I want to chisel plow my 8-10 acres right before our first frost then add my needed nutrients and then in the spring i will want to go over the field with a disc harrow 3-4 times? I’m guessing I only need to chisel plow once in November here then in March or April I will disc over. Am I correct in thinking this?

Moldboard Plows invert the soil. One object is to bring up fresh top soil nutrients from below. Another object is to kill and compost verdure existing in the field when plowing commences. Moldboard plows are pulled through moist soil.

Note rough condition of moldboard plowed field.
VIDEO: Tractors At Work | Ploughing - YouTube

While I have considerable experience with my Dirt Dog Field Cultivator I have no operating experience with a Chisel Plow. Following extrapolates from my Field Cultivator experience.

Conservation Plows, which include Chisel Plows and Field Cultivators, do not invert the soil. Primary field function is to fracture/aerate soil including fracture of hardpan, preserving existing verdure to prevent rain and wind erosion. In order for fissure to be preserved, conservation plows are pulled through fairly dry soil, another reason a lot of tractor power is required. Since voluminous furrows are not created, winter freeze/thaw cycles to assist furrow and vegetation breakdown are not important.

VIDEOS: Note flatness of field after Chisel Plow passes.
ag tractor chisel plowing field - YouTube

You can conservation plow any time soil is fairly dry before crop is planted.

Last edited: