Snow What to use for snow clearing?

/ What to use for snow clearing? #11  
I think a rubber edge on any of your tools would work including the blower, although living somewhere as cold as Manitoba the best protection for the driveway is probably to leave a packed layer of snow/ice on it and scrape that.

/ What to use for snow clearing? #12  
I'm sitting here wondering why you need to have it scraped down and bare.??

Approach it the same way one would clear asphalt or gravel or, even brick...get a base of packed snow a couple inches deep. Perfect.:thumbsup:

I put down a cobblestone patio that recieves a pile up of snow from my metal roof. I use my blower and zip right on and over the stone. What's the big deal.??

I think what we have here is a new $45,000 driveway in which the owner didn't think about how it would be used in winter. Brick is very durable and if laid down properly, it should have great run-off capabilities. It's going to get beat up over the years...consider the cobblestone streets in New England....they get plowed...A lot.!! For a 100 years and more.!!:thumbsup:

Don't fret it...But really, either leave a base layer or simply use the blower. In due time the newness will be forgotten.

/ What to use for snow clearing? #13  
Take the bulk of the snow off with a blower, leaving 2-3 inches for a front mounted broom.

/ What to use for snow clearing? #14  
Wow, that's a tough one! 45K?? I would have thought the 'freeze/thaw cycles' would have dictated a 'pattern stamped concrete' approach. I'm thinking that you'll be OK for a few year 'babying-it', but I fear for the long run. They are a beautiful 'looks' though........ I'd be tempted to use the 'pack-it-over' approach, and above all, don't use snow-melt...... ~Scotty

/ What to use for snow clearing? #15  
If I spent $45,000 on a driveway, I wouldn't allow any vehicles on it.....much less a tractor. Someone needs to contact those occupy protestors...we have a 1% er.

/ What to use for snow clearing? #16  
$45,000. How long is that driveway? 10 miles long:laughing:
You have to post some pictures of it. Just jealous and curious.

Seriously, I would get a broom for the front of the tractor. Snow-blow it like you always do and then go over it with the broom to get it all off.
If the snow-blower is mounted on the tractor where the broom is supposed to mount, then I don't know. Possibly a used garden tractor that handles a broom. Good luck.

/ What to use for snow clearing? #17  
Well back at the turn of the century in the early 1900 & earlier they ran a roller over the roads to create a dense snow pack. It is the same way the make an ice road on the lakes in Canada. If it was me and I was that concerned I would use a combination of roller and blade to pack and groom the snow pack as your surface. You will have a snow pack on your drive longer into the spring but your pavers will be protected over the winter from surface damage as well as frost heaving. You can learn a great deal by looking into the past, after all that's where the the idea of using pavers in the road came from in the 1st

/ What to use for snow clearing? #18  
I use a rubber edge but on my front blade. I am sure that you could do the same although on you back blade. I made my rubber edge out of a barn mat - very heavy rubber material about 1" thick. I left the steel cutting edge on, extended the rubber about 1.5" below the steel blade then added a 1/8 " plate on top to hold it tight.

View attachment 244654

I would guess that a polyurethane edge may be a bit too stiff and pull up some of your brick edges.

I think that JD 4520 has hit upon it for this particular poster, especially since, in his own word he doesn't want the brick "scratched".
Power broom may be another good idea, but a large expense that probably won't handle big snow as others have mentioned.

/ What to use for snow clearing?
Holy crap!!! Thanks for the reponses!:thumbsup:
I really like the rubber cover edge on the back blade, I might even get the snowblower covered.:thumbsup:

I also totally see the point about the 100 year old cobble stone streets that get plowed all the time with much larger equipment. Normal where and tear.:cool:

I'm thinking the pto driven broom is the best option but then I have to remove my loader and thats why I bought a rear mount blower instead of a front mount.

On a side note, the driveway price included removing the old driveway, digging down 18" for a proper base, two retaining walls, one brick wall with four stone pillars, curbs, a parking pad in front of each garage and the drive is circular. Crap load of work. I think they counted 1200 man hours.:confused2: I'll post summer pictures to do it justice.:drink:

/ What to use for snow clearing? #20  
Holy crap!!! Thanks for the reponses!:thumbsup:
I really like the rubber cover edge on the back blade, I might even get the snowblower covered.:thumbsup:

I also totally see the point about the 100 year old cobble stone streets that get plowed all the time with much larger equipment. Normal where and tear.:cool:

I'm thinking the pto driven broom is the best option but then I have to remove my loader and thats why I bought a rear mount blower instead of a front mount.

On a side note, the driveway price included removing the old driveway, digging down 18" for a proper base, two retaining walls, one brick wall with four stone pillars, curbs, a parking pad in front of each garage and the drive is circular. Crap load of work. I think they counted 1200 man hours.:confused2: I'll post summer pictures to do it justice.:drink:

Not so sure the rubber won't mark the stone.??

And, I'm not sure about the cool guy icon when it comes to cobblestone being in place and worked for years upon years.??

Can you explain.??

Also, why does it have to be scraped down to the stone.?? Why wouldn't you leave a base to protect the stone as you are very particular about protecting the stone. I don't understand.??

That stone will always look good no matter what.!!...I mean, a scratch here, a scratch there....only you will walk it stone for stone...down the line. No one will ever know. And, skid shoes on these 3pt. blowers are as smooth as a baby's back...

I also understand pride and cosmetic value. Curb appeal. All that. What you have is a durable, hard to harm, product. I simply don't know what your concern is.?? These type of driveways and pads are everywhere here, especially down on the coast. We have severe winters and they maintain their bricks through the winter storms, plowing, blowing, shovelling, etc. I just don't understand your concern....what advice did you get from the installer.??