what tractors will run on 100% straight veggie oil?

/ what tractors will run on 100% straight veggie oil? #11  
lol yea i spelled SVO out . if i can grow it and dont need to convert it to biodiesel .. why would I it adds only more time and expense, i never got this..
i know you can buy a fancy European system that works on almost anything with a single or separate tank better pump and injectors heaters filters valves lines etc... also there are some "older" or simpler engines in cars, atleast, that are more tolerant of straight veggie oil and some (newer and complex) cars that will have to be overhauled. unfortunately my expertise on tractors is riding with grampa a few lol years back. so i would figure i would ask here since i would guess yall know much more of tractors.

adding one last, older tractors are the main search i am doing as i can not justify 20-500 thou on a small 55 acre. so if anyone knows of a better place to look or know of a old or more reasonable price small(bigger than a riding mower though) if i can pick up a older 8n or massey and do the maintence due filters lines lubes that will be done anyway that will work with straight veggie.

ps i read in various places (SOME) yamars and kubota have been used not sure of the modifcations, as it was only a mentioning

To start off i will say i have an old yanmar deisel, i also have never even run 5% bio in it, so i have no personal experience.

First thing, the 8n never came in a deisel, for that matter neither did the 2n or 9n. So unless you convert it to a deisel engine forget bio in one of the older ford N tractors. The later 2000's and 3000's had deisels in them. I think all the 01 seeries also were only gas (these were the fords thru the late 40s and 50s, like the 601 and 801..).

Back to deisel. A member here (his name is California) on the yanmar board was using 100% biodeisel in his yanmar. It ran great once going and warm, he said it did not like to start well in the cold. Well that was for a few years then it would run bad and not really start and he found out one of his injectors was trashed and the other not much better. He ended up having to pull them and replace them, i think it may have only cost him about $120/oer injector due to the simplicity of those tractors but still not worth the little bit of savings on a small amout of fuel these size tractors use. He also noted the maintence in the book says to check/clean injectors every x hours or something, his thoughts were that with bio you would need to do this 4x more often.

Just what its worth.

/ what tractors will run on 100% straight veggie oil? #12  
Renz, good to read about trial run. I don't burn enough to risk the hi-dollar repairs.our company has experimented with jet fuel for emer. gen-sets. It was a very costly trial. Fuel pumps failed first, then Cummins fuel injectors. Decided againest it even with added lube oil. Just 2 more cents. jy

/ what tractors will run on 100% straight veggie oil? #13  
If you really want to use veggie oil, remember this rule of thumb: Only use it in engines with a mechanical inline pump. French CAV rotary pumps fail quickly, and Bosch rotary VE pumps last a little longer but dont like it either..

I thinl CNH may disagree with you. my NH 7610s has a delphi rotary pump on it and is rated to run rapeseed oil straight...

soundguy

/ what tractors will run on 100% straight veggie oil? #14  
ANY diesel engine can run on stright veggie oil. Mr. Diesel designed his motors to run on peanut oil. The biggest problem is preheating the oil so it will not gel in your fuel lines.

I added a Vegistroke kit to my 2005 Ford Powerstroke Diesel pickup. The kit consists of a seperate fuel tank, fuel system (pump, filter and manifold) and electronics to make it all work seamlessly with the OEM fuel system.

The truck starts and stops on conventional diesel fuel. When the WVO (waste vegatable oil) in the tank reaches 185 degrees, the system automatically switches over to the WVO. When I reach my destination, the system will keep the truck running for 1 minute to purge the fuel rails of the WVO and then shut down. I have over 50k miles on the system and LOVE IT!

I get my waste oil from local restaurants. I take it home and filter it before pumping it into the tank in my truck. I figure with labor and electricity figured into the equation, I now pay about 10 cents/gallon for fuel.

Yes the kit was pricey, but when I installed it, diesel was $5/gallon. The system was "paid for" with in the first year of operation.

Another benefit of using WVO is that the lubrication proerties of WVO are much better than pump ULSD. The truck runs quieter and gets about the same mpg.

I have had no issues concerning fuel lines or pump or injectors, nor do I expect to have any issues.

If you want to run SVO or WVO in your tractor, I say do it. But just make sure it is warm enough to flow the oil without any issues, and more importantly, make sure the oil is clean so you won't prematurely plug your fuel filters.

I won't run the WVO in my tractor because I worried about what Kioti would say should I have a warranty issue. After my warranty is up, I will run the WVO in the summer only.

Good luck,

Marc

/ what tractors will run on 100% straight veggie oil? #15  
I thinl CNH may disagree with you. my NH 7610s has a delphi rotary pump on it and is rated to run rapeseed oil straight...
Its a rule of thumb. All inline pumps can use biodiesel or veggie oil, but many (especially the French CAV pump) cant. In general, rotary pumps can take less abuse than an inline. Delphi may have a good pump, (as good as a Bosch VE) though

our company has experimented with jet fuel for emer. gen-sets. It was a very costly trial. Fuel pumps failed first, then Cummins fuel injectors.
You mention Cummins fuel injectors... Cummins sold us their CAPS (?) fuel injection system too for a while, but we were happy to get a VP44 Bosch unit on the 6CTA after 2 years of trouble... Dont know if your problems came from the jet fuel or the CAPS system... ;)

/ what tractors will run on 100% straight veggie oil? #16  
Remember, however, that jet fuel is essentially kerosene, and is much different than biodiesel or vegetable oil, or petroleum based diesel.

/ what tractors will run on 100% straight veggie oil? #17  
welll i know of most old MB deisels will burn straight with preheaters and such .
does anyone know what if any tractors run on pure plant oil or straight vegetable oil ?
i want to get away from buying what i can grow ... ie fuel oil

The answer is, ALL of them will. The second question is, for how long; the third, at what temp range.

/ what tractors will run on 100% straight veggie oil? #18  
The answer is, ALL of them will. The second question is, for how long; the third, at what temp range.
And fouth: does the OP have the equipment to extract the 'veggie oil' from the plants, in order to use it as a fuel?

Or should that be first? :)

/ what tractors will run on 100% straight veggie oil?
yes all very helpful..
most everything listed has no bearing. even if i did or did not pressing and filtering equipment set up you can buy drums of SVO/PPO. also(not the original point there is waste oil to be had, but that was not the question.

the refernce to the 8N tractor was not specific to that model but something "like a 8N" if you understand.. a older really common capable tractor with the whole selection of implements and parts available.

yes it will be 'warmed' thats a no brainer. since it it "new" veggie oil i would not think i need the centrifuge or anything. just a pass thru a 1 micron (or a dual 5/1) bag to finish it. if its new and 'processed' bought in fuel . but then again still not the question.

i dont really understand why tractor 'junkies' are so unhelpful. has it been discussed to death 12,000 times in a different sub-forum.. idk i looked and didnt see it. again thank you to the one or 2 that actually tryed to help

shall i RE-RE-RE ask the queestion and change it slightly to see if its understood better.. i am looking for a tractor that is easily or minimal need to convert, meaning no need to replace the pump with a 'special' one(maybe new seals as service), "special" injectors, and many other "special" new expensive parts and add ons.
what are the common older/used tractors that are still serviceable(parts commonly available) that may make good candidates to run on 100% straight vegetable oil. not bio-diesel or waste, but pure new clean oil(irregardless if i grow and press it which is the plan but not to be addressed here as this is a tractor forum not a growing forum). what i know from conversion of cars... IDI tractor with little/no computerized management and a injector pump that is of a compatable design that the thicker oil will destroy it quickly.. and just for added assume its not -20 F its 60-90F during use of said tractor on straight veggie oil and the oil is warmed ...

does any of this help i wouldnt think this would be so hard with tractor 'experts' thats why i asked here and not on SVO/WVO/bio forum. thank you if you can help

/ what tractors will run on 100% straight veggie oil? #20  
VO/WVO has EXCELLANT lubrication properties, FAR superior to #2D for example, no worries there AT ALL.

Now, you ask about the "pump", Injection Pump I presume, because there are often transfer pumps as well, but we can lump togather as an "IP" :)

Good question, different chemicals affect the seals differently, addatives can cause plastic internal IP parts to disentigrate quickly - will VO/WVO do the same? I can't say, but I doubt it. There are very few seal materials that are not tolerant of VO/WVO, but MANY are intolerant of methanol.

The biggest concern will be fuel hoses I think and residuals in the system being cleaned out causing plugging.

VO/WVO is NOT as fluid as #2D, so the IP has to work a little harder to get fuel, think McDs shake in the freezer for 15 minutes vs at the store ;) Any restrictions on the INLET side of the transfer pump will starve the system for fuel and cause problems. This can escelate to failed seals quickly, VO/WVO is not the cause but the enabler in this case. Top-notch maintenance and attention to the equipment is your best defense.