What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start?

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start?
Exmark = 1982
Scag = 1983
Ferris = 1986
Great Dane = hard to say (website isn't specific), but I'd guess mid to late 80's when they started making ztrs
Bob-Cat = 1975

As I dug around on the various manufacturer's sites, the thought occurred to me that while they might have started building commercial quality mowers in the years they claim, chances are those were walk-behind, and 3&4 wheeled out-front riders. ZTRs all came later.

Have you ever heard of Bad Boy? Ken Sweet

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #12  

Ken,

Yes -- I just bought one.

I first heard of them when I saw one of their residential ZTRs at TSC. I didn't think much about them until I decided to buy a commercial quality ZTR for my farm and started looking at the many brands out there. There were two Bad Boy dealers within 20 miles, along with dealers for all the major and some not so major brands.

After a search, I thought I was getting the most bang for my buck with the Bad Boy -- in my case a 61" Outlaw with a 31 hp Kawasaki engine.

I don't know how Bad Boy sales of their low-end mowers through TSC affects the Bad Boy dealers.

Another TBN advertiser, Ted Corriher, is a Bad Boy dealer. He has a video on his web site describing some of the Bad Boy mowers.

How To Video Demos - Implements & Attachments

Steve

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #13  
Yes, and had there been a local dealer in my area 5 years ago, I might have ended up with one (pending a butt fit test, of course). I really liked what I saw and read about them. However, as I mentioned, there was absolutely no representation in my area (not even local TSC carried the ZT) at that time.

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #14  
Ken,
I'd say, depending upon your customer base, 2 more brands to consider would be Walker and Toro. Toro can pretty much cover any kind of mowing and has a machine to match up against any competiton - be it front deck, regular ztr, stand-up ztr, walk-behind, etc.

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #15  
Walker and Toro don't really impress me much at all. Walker seems like a one-hit wonder: out front deck that your feet ride on (how rough is that gotta be on some yards), small decks if you want the vac system, slower ground speeds, gotta straddle the controls getting on and off. Sorry, I'm not impressed. Toro is just another ZTR, and an Exmark at that (or is that the other way around?). In all fairness, my lack of enthusiasm for all 3 of the aforementioned brands is due in part to my lack of respect for their local dealers.

I think Gravely would be a good one to consider, certainly as worthy and revered as any other brand. A full line of consumer & pro midmount ZTRs, stander, and out front ZTRs, traditional 3-wheeler, walk behinds, an 84" triplex reel mower, and even a utility vehicle.

Hustler would also be another fine line, although I have to admit their consumer line doesn't impress me (of course, nobody's does). Good warranties 'tho.

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #16  
Walker and Toro don't really impress me much at all. Walker seems like a one-hit wonder: out front deck that your feet ride on (how rough is that gotta be on some yards), small decks if you want the vac system, slower ground speeds, gotta straddle the controls getting on and off. Sorry, I'm not impressed. Toro is just another ZTR, and an Exmark at that (or is that the other way around?). In all fairness, my lack of enthusiasm for all 3 of the aforementioned brands is due in part to my lack of respect for their local dealers.

I think Gravely would be a good one to consider, certainly as worthy and revered as any other brand. A full line of consumer & pro midmount ZTRs, stander, and out front ZTRs, traditional 3-wheeler, walk behinds, an 84" triplex reel mower, and even a utility vehicle.

Hustler would also be another fine line, although I have to admit their consumer line doesn't impress me (of course, nobody's does). Good warranties 'tho.
Well opinions vary widely on mowers, but the Walker is hard to beat for manicured lawns. Mowing for the folks that are'nt looking for a mow, blow, and go experience is where the Walker shines. Also, Ferris is another I forgot to mention.

Last edited:
   / What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #17  
What about Exmark, Scag.Woods and all of the rest. We are looking for a second tier of mowers to compliment of Dixon ZTR's. Ken Sweet

When I first became unemployed (I say I was fired but employer says 'furlowed' - what's the difference?), I provided for my family of 7 by busting my tail and starting a mowing business and taking the mowing jobs none of the established guys wanted. Generally that was rough lawns, steep areas like lake dams and people who only wanted their grass mowed once a month, but with a finish mower. I've since sold off that business, but it worked out well for me. I made good money and created a business in short order that brought a surprising amount of money when I sold it due to my customer base.

About 15 years ago Scag dominated the market, but not anymore. I see a few Scag, but not much. I'd have to say that Grasshopper and Exmark are the most common with Ferris and Dixie Chopper mowers also pretty common.

If you're looking for a high volume quality ZTR to sell, I'd suggest one of those. In almost 17 years of being around that business I'm yet to see a single Dixon in any commercial service. Honestly, in Southern Indiana, I've not seen even one Dixon mower anywhere in at least 10 years. I would have to predict that picking up another line would have a huge impact on your sales. At least in my area, Dixon would be the lowest volume ZTR line that I could name. I have to assume there is no dealer anywhere close to my part of the country.

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #18  
Ken, I have been on your side of the fence for several years and if I were adding a line today it would actually be two lines...
Ferris and Walker. I have sold both in the past with fantastic results. Working with both manufacturers was easy in most cases - although Ferris was not owned by Briggs at that time.
For anyone who says that Walker does not impress them does not understand what Walker is all about - absolutely the finest manicured cut out there - although they are not a true ZTR mower.

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #19  
Ken, I have been on your side of the fence for several years and if I were adding a line today it would actually be two lines...
Ferris and Walker. I have sold both in the past with fantastic results. Working with both manufacturers was easy in most cases - although Ferris was not owned by Briggs at that time.
For anyone who says that Walker does not impress them does not understand what Walker is all about - absolutely the finest manicured cut out there - although they are not a true ZTR mower.

Ken and/or BleedGreen,

Just idle curiosity on my part. Say that I am a dealer for a mower brand. Am I guaranteed a certain territory? For example, they won't allow another dealer to open within x miles of my store?

Steve

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start?
Ken and/or BleedGreen,

Just idle curiosity on my part. Say that I am a dealer for a mower brand. Am I guaranteed a certain territory? For example, they won't allow another dealer to open within x miles of my store?

Steve

Most will respect your dealership territory with the brand you are selling, however, if the manufacturer sells more than one brand mower, they can put them in next door to you. Like Husqvarna and Dixon all owned by the same company. Ken Sweet