What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start?

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #21  
What about Exmark, Scag.Woods and all of the rest. We are looking for a second tier of mowers to compliment of Dixon ZTR's. Ken Sweet

Ken,
Hello there. Couple of days back I left some commentary and for you, a few questions down on the slightly old "Best Commercial Zero Turn" thread. Please to take a look.

Regards,
Dennis

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start?
Ken,
Hello there. Couple of days back I left some commentary and for you, a few questions down on the slightly old "Best Commercial Zero Turn" thread. Please to take a look.

Regards,
Dennis

We are currently looking at them now. Woods is good, however, too high priced for our customer base. Ken Sweet

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #23  
...About 15 years ago Scag dominated the market, but not anymore. I see a few Scag, but not much. I'd have to say that Grasshopper and Exmark are the most common with Ferris and Dixie Chopper mowers also pretty common...
I think the most prevalent mower brand is a regional thing highly influenced by local dealer(s). Around here, Scag, Exmark, and Ferris are probably the most popular. Despite that I can't stand the Exmark and Ferris dealers because they are arogant, know-it-all SOBs who won't give you the time of day unless you're a lawn care pro. Hence the reason you see a lot of them on trailers.

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #24  
We are currently looking at them now. Woods is good, however, too high priced for our customer base. Ken Sweet

Ken,

Thanks, but I believe you looked at the wrong post judging from your response. I was commenting on, and asked a couple questions about a Dixon 6025.

Dennis

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start?
Ken,

Thanks, but I believe you looked at the wrong post judging from your response. I was commenting on, and asked a couple questions about a Dixon 6025.

Dennis

Sorry about that Dennis, Ken Sweet

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #26  
Most will respect your dealership territory with the brand you are selling, however, if the manufacturer sells more than one brand mower, they can put them in next door to you. Like Husqvarna and Dixon all owned by the same company. Ken Sweet

Am I correct in remember reading/hearing that Husqvarna now owns Snapper too?

Steve

/ What Year did your ZTR Mfgr start? #27  
I think the most prevalent mower brand is a regional thing highly influenced by local dealer(s). Around here, Scag, Exmark, and Ferris are probably the most popular. Despite that I can't stand the Exmark and Ferris dealers because they are arogant, know-it-all SOBs who won't give you the time of day unless you're a lawn care pro. Hence the reason you see a lot of them on trailers.

That is true to a certain extent. I won't shop at some places no matter how good of a product they have because of the way they treat their customers. However, you can scour the country and you won't find 1% of commercial or what consumer consider quality ZTR mowers being from Dixon. I frequent a couple lawn care forums and I've absolutely never heard anyone mention a Dixon. My point is that, if he wants to increase volume, he needs a different main line of ZTR machines if he wants to increase sales.

I know both dealers in my area who used to sell Dixon. One used to be my next door neighbor. I know the product, albeit not recently, quite well. Both dealers I know dropped the Dixon line. I don't think either guy would say that they are "junk" machines, but both would associate selling them to being similar to trying to sell ice to an Eskimo; they flat out couldn't move them. Any of the other brands mentioned here would almost certainly help Ken tremendously.

I suppose it depends on what brands he can get. I once worked as a franchising manager for a company and it's a prickly issue when it comes to territories. The manufacturers want to move product, but they also have to be careful to not tick off their best dealers. I had 'guidelines' as far as what territories I would offer a dealer, but those were flexible when it came down to it. There are dozens of factors that could influence the manufacturer's decision on being flexible. Not all, but most, are reasonable. I don't know Ken, but my impression is that he is a great guy who takes care of his customers. Because of this thought, I strongly feel that his current brand of ZTR is extremely limiting his sales volume because he could sell a boat load of any of the popular brands if he is indeed like I think he is.