What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / What's a good choice when buying a Multimeter? #71  
I agree with Blagadan. The OP asked what would be a good type of meter to use for what it sounds like general purpose use. He probably isn't looking for
.01% accuracy. The results are in over most of the post is that Fluke is a high quality meter. It isn't the cheapest. Safety ratings are important. As mentioned low cost meters can work if used wisely. Mainly is to be aware of the hazards of poor maintenance or improper use.
For what its worth I work in a Laboratory that test super precision bench top DMM's down to handheld DMM's and analog meters. I have seen most every brand come through my lab. The guys that have sent them in for certication are supposed to know what they are doing. Stuff happens though and I have seen meters come to the lab in sad shape. Flukes do hold up well. Myself I don't own a Fluke meter. I own a Circuitmate DMM which has lasted 18 years so far, a Micronta Analog meter(15 years) and a very cheap pocket DMM. Also a Handheld capacitor tester and a handheld infared temperature tester. The thing that I pay the most attention to is the test leads and knowing what I am plugging into! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.