what's in a name.. Heavy duty :)

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #21  
i dunno.. 25a is a pretty decent charge rate. a couple hours of that and unless it was a stone dead battery it should kick off.. :) hope ya got the time to wait!

I agree.

Heck, my charger is only a 2A trickle and a 10A fast. And an hour or two and the battery is charged.

The worst jumper cables I have ever had was a set that came in one of them "survival" type kits. With a blanket, cheap socket set, etc.

The wires appeared to be a good sized, like 3/8" diameter, but it was all insulation. I would say 12-14ga of actual wire AT BEST. And the darn clamps were just stamped sheet metal that was WAY too thin. So just clamping them on something, and all of the pointy teeth bend over:confused2:

But the price of copper:confused2: I saw some "real" HD ones at NAPA the other day. 4ga copper and 20' long with pretty good clamps. Price tag.....$134:confused2:

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :)
That sounds like something you learned on "Burn Notice".

Charlie

uh? :( not sure I've ever seen the program.. and this was done 25 yrs before that show was thought of.. back when you could find a car with metal bumper...

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #24  
I made my own jumper cables. 2 gauge cables, 8' long with a pair of Andersen SB-350 disconnects two feet from one end. Hook both up, then plug in safely away from both batteries. I also have a 12' jumper that I can plug in for a 20' jumper cable.

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #26  
When I was in the AF we jumped a M151 jeeps by touching the front wheel bearing caps (which had tie-down eyes in them) and touching the leads for the blackout drive lights. It helped that there were no fuses and they were 24 volts. Most of the vehicles had slave cable receptacles so the practice was rare but it worked.

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #27  
That sounds like something you learned on "Burn Notice".

Charlie
Probably more likely from the school of necessity. Had a girlfriend with a Monach and no money and not much of a battery, and me with a '68 Charger and a new battery. First time we met at the beach her car wouldn't start, and a single wire stripped from her car and bumper to bumper ground was how we started it (after letting my car run for a couple of kisses)
I later got my hands on a single piece of welding lead and would just hold the balled up end on each positive battery while the bumpers touched. Heck, I don't remember when I gave up that single piece of cable and went to a set of those "heavy duty jumper cables". Probably when they quite putting metal in bumpers, back in the mid 70s I would imagine.
Fixing problems on the fly is one thing I have noticed about Soundguy, he does it well.
David from jax

Probably more likely from the school of necessity. Had a girlfriend with a Monach and no money and not much of a battery, and me with a '68 Charger and a new battery. First time we met at the beach her car wouldn't start, and a single wire stripped from her car and bumper to bumper ground was how we started it (after letting my car run for a couple of kisses)
I later got my hands on a single piece of welding lead and would just hold the balled up end on each positive battery while the bumpers touched. Heck, I don't remember when I gave up that single piece of cable and went to a set of those "heavy duty jumper cables". Probably when they quite putting metal in bumpers, back in the mid 70s I would imagine.
Fixing problems on the fly is one thing I have noticed about Soundguy, he does it well.
David from jax

I'm not sure where nativeson came up with the condescending 'learned it on burn notice' comment.. but I found it a tad offensive, since I said that I had done it, not that I had seen it on tv, which essentially means he was calling me a liar???

In any case.. another good trick is to fix a loos bat cable clamp with a penny.

some young gal I worked with had a loose bat terminal clamp, and the nut was permanently rusted to the tension bolt.. I beat a penny kinda in a u shapt with a crescent wrench by laying it ona joint in the pavement, and then hammered it down into the spot between the cable clamp and the eroding ( from arcing and being loose ) battery post.

I told her that she needed to get her boyfriend to fix it... next time I saw her I asked her if she got it fixed and her reply was that her boyfriend said it worked good, why change it :( I then told her she needed to ask her FATHER to change it before she was left stranded. next time I saw her she mentioned that her father had put on a new cable terminal. ....

I bet nativeson thinks I saw that one on tv as well, instead of actually being there.. ??

soundguy

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #29  
I would not have belived it but, saw two guys touch bumpers and use a piece of#10 solid wire to jump a car. Must have not needed that much of a boost. It is supposed to take 220 amps AC to melt a #10 into pieces?I like the little battery savers that come with cigarette plugs on both ends. I guess if you ate supper and came back,while plugged together? But not if it is freezing outside?What ever happened to Battery warming blankets??

/ what's in a name.. Heavy duty :) #30  
I saw one even worse then the lighter jumper cables, a little unit with some tiny batery pack in it that you plug into the lighter, to give your car a boost. About the size of a plug in power inverter. Not as bad as the one you plug in there that claims to give you a 17% boost in fuel economy.....