whats the earliest you guys bale hay?

/ whats the earliest you guys bale hay? #1  

southerndeere

Silver Member
Just curious what's the earliest you guys bale hay. I also considered baleing the dead grass from winter as ruffage instead of just mowing it

/ whats the earliest you guys bale hay? #3  
Be lucky to bale end of June with severe drought predicted if at all...

Reno....

Mike

/ whats the earliest you guys bale hay? #4  
We are in Central Indiana and if the weather cooperates I like to bale in Late May. That is when the hay quality is best, but the weather doesn't always cooperate. Most people don't seem to bale until a month later in our area, which means they are baling over-ripe hay that has lost a lot of nutrition.

As for baling up the dead grass, mowing is probably still the better way to go unless it is still standing nice and tall. It will be either a dustfest or you'll end up with moldy bales. In either case you won't have much to work with at the end. If you mulch it up good with a mower the new growth will come right through and the old growth will decompose and feed the soil.

/ whats the earliest you guys bale hay? #5  
It's going to need to do some serious raining here before much of any hay baling takes place. Normally baling begins the middle of May to 1st of June where I live.

/ whats the earliest you guys bale hay? #6  
Memorial Day weekend if weather lets us. But looks like we may have a late spring this year so could be into June. Finished last year July 4. Weather was a PITA. Although we had hay coming out our *****.

/ whats the earliest you guys bale hay? #7  
Did make some light crop for a neighbour in the end of june last year but usually it's july before it's safe to start .

/ whats the earliest you guys bale hay? #8  
Earliest I have ever done hay was the first week of june and thats pushing it sometimes. By the time the ground thaws out and the sunshine gets to work on the grass, its not worth the effort until its had some growing time.

/ whats the earliest you guys bale hay? #9  
I usually bale around mid May if the weather holds out.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet