Ballast Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's

/ Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's #11  
dirtworksequip said:
Superduper, thanks for the explaination and pics. It looks like maybe the only thing I missed out on is the spacers between the starter weights and the wheels. I understand how the recesses and bolts line up and everything after doing my install. I'm OK with the weights I ended up with.................I like my stuff a little different than norm.

Sincerely, Dirt

Different is good, you certainly will recognize your tractor in a croud of similar tractors.

The spacers from deere are outrageous in price, in my opinion. I ordered them sight unseen and when they arrived, I wasn't happy with what they were charging after I saw what I was getting but since I did order them, I took them as I didn't want the dealer to have to place them into stock and sit there like forever. If I were to describe them, I would say that they look simply like 5/8" x 1.5" steel bushings that are availabe at any AG supply store for about under a buck, which deere wanted like over 10x's that. They might be a little thicker but not so much that I wouldn't try the cheaper stuff first.

/ Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's #12  
NYBOB said:
Dirt,

I made a deal to have them installed at no charge by the dealer. He has to come out and fix a few warranty items and will do it then. Hopefully they are the correct weights.

One thing I have found out, no matter what type of tractor you buy, there are issue with bad information. I am still trying to get JD corporate to tell my dealer that I can dish out my R4 wheels.

I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks
Bob

You can't really dish them out like you would with the R-1 type rims which are two peice that can be adjusted to 8 different positions. The only thing you can do is flip the entire rim/tire assembly over and swap side/side for an additional 1.5" +/- wider track. This procedure is clearly shown and stated in owners manual and recommended. Perhaps JD corporate is trying to state that the rims are not adjustable and therefore, un-dishable?

/ Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's #13  
Superduper, thanks for the bushing size for the starter weights. I can check at TSC to see if they might have something that will work.
Thanks again for the info.
Sincerely, Dirt

/ Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's #14  
Dirt:

If you end up not liking the stability you could also try wheel spacers. I put 6" Unverferth spacers (6" per wheel) on my 3720 to set the wheels a foot wider. Makes a big difference.

/ Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's #15  
orlo, I already put 4 inch unverferths on it shortly after I got it early last year. Probably should have gone 6 inches.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's #16  
   / Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's
Can I ask how much the Unverferth 4 inch adapters cost? Do you put them on the front also?

I don't believe I can put 6 inch ones on since I have to keep my track under 72 inches or so since I have a 6 1/2 snow plow.

Thanks

/ Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's #18  
Superduper:

May I ask have you been able to notice any performance or stability difference from your tractor due to the weights being added???

John M

/ Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's #19  
NYBOB, the 4" extensions were almost $500 since they were a custom size. Check with an unverferth dealer as you can't buy directly from unverferth. Ask what stock sizes they may have that would be cheaper than custom. I would go with the widest that will work with your tractors implements. Although the extensions are expensive it was cheaper than rolling my tractor over the hill. I installed on the rear only. I guess you could do fronts too if you thought it was necessary.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's #20  
jcmseven said:
Superduper:

May I ask have you been able to notice any performance or stability difference from your tractor due to the weights being added???

John M

I'm very conservative in the way I operate my tractor and consequently have not had a situation where a wheel has lifted and I am too much of a wimp to test it to it's limits. Conventional wisdom says that the tractor should be more stable. I have a few side slopes that I am concerned with and installed the weights as an added measure of safety and I always go real slow. But in truth, I believe it is for peace of mind rather than something you can actually notice. I mean, how will you know unless the tractor started to go over before (or went over) and now it doesn't? As far as the feeling of instability goes, the tractor is the same height and you sit at the exact same location, and the wheels are the same wheel track as before so the pucker factor is exactly like it was before/after. I know, we've all read other examples of other posters saying they filled the rear tires and the tractor is more stable: Maybe it's just me but I don't know, how can you tell?

This much I can tell you; they do make a difference in traction, that is for sure.