Ballast Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's

/ Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's #21  
dirtworksequip said:
I guess you could do fronts too if you thought it was necessary.

Sincerely, Dirt

Hey guys, last time I jacked up my tractor, I learned the hard way that the front axle is unlike the front axles of normal vehicles that we've all come to understand: They are UNSPRUNG at the ends and freely pivot at the center location. This means that if you jacked up the rear of the tractor at the center location and pushed the tractor sideways in either direction, it WILL pivot and tilt over until the rear wheel finds solid ground! In doing so, it may go very very quickly too so you'll want to make sure that until the jackstands are in place, the rear tires are no more than a couple inches off the ground and they remain in place until the tractor is fully supported. The front axle will offer no resistance to keep tractor upright. Did I also say that the front axle will offer no resistance to keep tractor upright?

My point is:
It is possible that widening the front stance may make you feel safer on a side slope because when you see the front tire further out the mind will tell you that you are safer because it appears that the front tires are acting as outriggers. In fact, the rear track width is the important one as the front axle, dare I say it, will offer no resistance to keep tractor upright. So be careful when relying on front wheel settings for the purpose of increasing tractor stability, it may be a false sense of security.

I may be wrong and perhaps someone more knowledgable will set me straight but I'm a conservative guy and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

/ Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's #22  
SuperDuper:

You are correct about the front axle. I noticed that once on my 2305 but I did what the dealer recommends. Always lift up the front on the bucket (or at least almost lift it). It will stabilize the front of the tractor when you lift it to stop it from tipping.

What I need to find now is a good set of tire dollies/jacks so I can swap my
large Turf tires (or take off the extensions) alone. The tires are filled (on my 3720 and I'm sure they weigh 600-700lbs each with fill. Not something I'd want to fall over on me ;)

/ Wheel Weights for 3720 with R4's #23  
Orlo:

Northerntools has a tire/wheel dolly that will lift 1500 lbs for $169. That is only slightly more than the cost of a standard (not economy) duty floor jack. And if you don't like that one, they have another one that look similar but goes for $379 instead. I don't know the difference but I'm gonna guess that the cheaper one is made in China and the more expensive one has a better name. No, I don't have one as garage space is at a serious premium for me but it looks like they could work nicely for you.