When do YOU use 4WD?

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #11  
I use 2WD most of the time but switch to 4WD when I drag the arenas, work with the box blade or use the loader for heavy loads or anytime I feel some slipping. I don't need it for cutting or bushhogging.

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #12  
I don't use FWD unless I need it. If I have it in FWD while finish mowing it tends to scuff more. I do use FWD when finishing mowing on steep hills, since I have trouble getting traction with just the rear wheels in a couple of places and the brakes work much better going downhill in FWD, so it's safer. I shift in and out a lot when mowing my back yard because I need FWD on the hills, but I shift out when turning around to avoid scuffing the grass. Otherwise I use FWD when I'm doing anything on hilly ground and/or in the mud, when plowing, tilling, using the dirt scoop and grader blade, and of course whenever I start loosing traction doing whatever.

Since there are no lock out hubs, the front drivetrain is always turning anyway. As long as you're not on a hard surface, there's not much stress (if any), so if you're not worried about scuffing you can just leave it in FWD all the time. The main thing is to avoid having it in FWD for extended periods of time on a hard surface, especially if you have a front end loader full of something, since then the front tires won't slip very much.

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #13  
I've got SuperSteer so I can leave it in 4wd all the time and it disengages when it needs to. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

I've locked into full-time 4wd a couple of times and into full-time 2wd once, mostly to make sure they worked.

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #14  
OkieNCognito,

I usually keep mine in 4WD all the time as well. If and when my finish mower ever arrives I will most likely not keep it on when I do my mowing as I do notice that when in 2WD it definitely turns a little easier. I was recently moving 10 yards of crushed rock to "dress up" along my newly asphalted driveway and I noticed while on the asphalt the tractor handled better in 2WD.

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #15  
I don't use FWD much...not as much as I use to when mowing. Now it's used when I'm backing up and down a fairly steep slope I mow.

For traction when using the back blade, I find the differential lock works better.

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #16  
I own a Ford 250 with FWD and only use the FWD when I am off the road or drive. My land is very hilly so I usually put it in low range too.

My 4300 HST is in 2WD while mowing but I have to slide it into FWD at least three or four times to back under a tree or get up a steep slope. When using FEL, rear blade or anytime I am near the very steep dropoffs I have it in FWD. I also feel better when I am in the woods to have it in FWD.

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #17  
My land is exceptionally hilly, and I do alot of woods and loader work, but I generally stay in 2WD. I attribute it to R1's, proper ballast and Cub Cadet.

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #18  
i will engage 4wd when doing fel work, but if i have a long way to travel i will shift back to 2 wd.u will get the hang of it, when to use 4wd. the tractor will let you know.

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #19  
Always in snow or a low-traction application. Usually with the FEL. When running sidehill on a decent slope. When running on dry dirt or blacktop, the drivetrain gives feedback that there's a load on it on sharper turns. I generally avoid using 4WD if not needed to reduce wear on components...............chim

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #20  
MY JD 4400 hydro R-1 tires I have it in 4wd 95% of the time.