When do YOU use 4WD?

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #21  
If I don't need 4wd, I don't use it. I leave my JD 950 in 2wd almost all the time. I put in 4wd when mowing the ditch along the roadway (quite a slope) or when doing dirt work with the FEL or box blade. I have heard it stated that running in 4wd causes increased wear and stress on the drive components. I think that is general hearsay passed along and it would be interesting to hear from someone who is in the business of actually knowing.

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #22  
I'm in 4WD virtually all of the time. I put it in 2WD when I'm on the road (which is rare). But my property is pretty hilly and 4WD definately allows better control (with HST transmission). Got over 400 hours on the tractor and it has probably been in 4WD for most of them.

But I think Bird put it best - different situations will require different usage.

...Chris

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #23  
Since these tractors do not have front brakes, stopping on hills without good traction in 2 wheel drive can be dangerous.
I have been in a situation heading down hill in 2wd, a load on the FEL carried very low. I noticed that I was picking up speed but the RPM wasn't changing. I applied the brakes but continued to pick up speed. I'd backed off on the throttle, applied the brakes, but I continued to pick up speed. Then I looked at one of the rear tires and noticed that it wasn't turning. It took a few seconds to analyze what was going on. I was delicately balanced on the front end and the rear tires were just sliding on top of the ground. By the time I realized what was going on I was very close to a sharp turn. I lowered the FEL to the ground, regained traction on the rear and resistance from the FEL and brought it to a stop. I would have had far more control in 4wd. Since then I stay in 4wd unless the situation calls for 2wd not vice versa.

Branch

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #24  
I'm in 4wd all the time except on pavement and in my yard if I have to turn sharply. Just going straight across it doesn't cause any problems. My land is very hilly though so I need the traction.

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #25  
Use of 4WD is really up to the preference of the driver, except in high traction cases. You'll notice in your tractor, Jeep, or Durango, that when you make a turn on your driveway or pavement in 4wd, you can feel the drivetrain binding. It may even chirp the tires. The front and rear end/tires are moving at slightly different speed as you turn. Normally, for just one drive axle, the differential makes up for this, letting one tire rotate faster then the other. In 4wd though, your transfer case allows no slip between the front and rear axle, causing it to bind up. That's why they say not to run in 4wd on hard surfaces. It will bind the drive train and cause excessive wear.

Your wear will be as much in the transfer case as the front end. The front end has a differential, which allows for the dirrences between rotational speed of the inner wheel verses the outer wheel. It's the transfer case that does not allow slippage. Ya, the fron will wear too, but it is kind of an additive affect across the entire drive train.

For the tractor, I use 2wd a lot. Mine does not have power steering, so it is easier to steer in 2wd. I do try to look ahead, so I can be in 4wd before I need it. Nothing like getting too deep to fast, and being beyond the help of 4wd.

Another poster made a good point... run all your 4wd vehicles in 4wd once a month, for at least a couple miles. If you do not, the bearing and gears in the front end will not get lubricated; they depend on the spinning differential and gears to sling oil across the inner axle assembly.

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #26  
RobertN,

"Another poster made a good point... run all your 4wd vehicles in 4wd once a month, for at least a couple miles. If you do not, the bearing and gears in the front end will not get lubricated; they depend on the spinning differential and gears to sling oil across the inner axle assembly"

I think that might be true if you had a standard 4wdr that uses locks on the wheels. On a CUT the front wheels are in constant engagement with the front differential and therefore all of the differential parts are in motion when the tractor is motion.

Just my opinion,

Don

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #27  
I am not argueing the point you make about CUT's

<font color=blue>I think that might be true if you had a standard 4wdr that uses locks on the wheelsI think that might be true if you had a standard 4wdr that uses locks on the wheels</font color=blue>

But the problem of rusted driveline gears is something I've seen on Jeeps, which don't have locking hubs. May have nothing at all to do with CUT's...

/ When do YOU use 4WD? #28  
rockyridgefarm,

Do you think that possibly the vehicles that you looked at had been in deep water? I know some people with Jeeps like to go through creeks or run along the waters edge on the beach.

Just food for thought,

Don