When one door closes, another opens....

/ When one door closes, another opens.... #61  
My 8ft Brush mower has case drains. My home made Stump Grinder has case drains, my home made post hole digger does not. And the post hole digger has a big wheel motor driving the show.

/ When one door closes, another opens.... #62  
Any thoughts on whether this fire suppression system might work in the relatively open compartment of a PT?

It seems to basically be a freon filled tube that melts and discharges over a hot spot.

All the best,

Peter

/ When one door closes, another opens.... #63  
Any thoughts on whether this fire suppression system might work in the relatively open compartment of a PT? It seems to basically be a freon filled tube that melts and discharges over a hot spot.

Would be next to useless. In a car it would also be next to worthless. I doubt this low pressure tube (30 psi) contains enough fire suppressant to do any good even in a sealed engine compartment.

This works by displacing all of the oxygen out of the space, which puts the fire out. The fire-suppression gas is heavier than air, and so settles down. In the open engine compartment of a car (or PT), this means it just settles right out of the engine compartment, letting the fire reignite.

/ When one door closes, another opens.... #64  
I've seen similar with inboard boats... no idea how effective.

/ When one door closes, another opens....
Personalization, aka "making it mine"...

1. This oldie used a piece of 1in steel grate for rear of the tub, and the original hitch was bolted on (the one on the 425 was welded on), so one of the first things was a standard 2" receiver. Note also the rear work lights tucked safely in the rear corners of the tub.

Imgp0413 by Kent Thomas, on Flickr

2. At the top of the list was mounting a new fire extinguisher (wonder why?), and finding a place to mount a tool box. Ended up welding up a frame from an old bed side-rail, and isolating it on 1/2" rubber blocks. Toolbox is recycled from the burned 425 with a quick and dirty coat of Rustoleum brushed on. The fire extinguisher is mounted with the original hanging tab and strapped in securely with a Velcro strap.

Imgp0414 by Kent Thomas, on Flickr

3. Loving this bigger dashboard and tub! Removed the two front lights (they're being replaced by a light bar mounted underneath the ROPS), making enough room on the left for a heavy-duty plastic marine cup holder with a small storage bin large enough to hold the cell phone, a hitch pin or two, etc. Installed the obligatory steering wheel spinner. Bent the Aux PTO handle up to where it better clears my knee, while still having full range of motion.

Imgp0415 by Kent Thomas, on Flickr

4. Installed a "skirt/deflector" on the back of the brush cutter, made of rubberized cloth belting used in hay balers, old tractor side PTOs, etc. I did something similar for my T-8 brush cutter and it lasted several years. It won't stop heavy things (nothing short of heavy chain will), but it tends to deflect things down and helps control the flying debris that usually fills up the front, underneath the lift arms...

Imgp0416 by Kent Thomas, on Flickr

5. Here's the rubber deflector that was already installed on the 6ft 3-pin finish mower. I think it is likely a piece of stall mat. Don't understand why they'd modify the finish mower, and leave the far more dangerous brush cutter alone. They must not have used it much...

Imgp0417 by Kent Thomas, on Flickr

I still want to get the rear tires loaded with WW fluid -- undecided about the front ones yet. I'm sure that I'll be doing more tweaks...

Had an opportunity to test how well the newly-added 28 inch, 180w lightbar with 40 Cree LEDs would illuminate the work area. I think this will suffice... :)

In fact, I find the reflection off the lift arms a bit distracting, but the floods do a good job of lighting up the work area. I may want to adjust it up a bit, so the spot lights on each end shine out a bit further. That's a bit of a PITA since it calls for loosening and retightening 8 allen-head bolts (4 on each bracket). This lightbar is sturdy, with an all aluminum body. I think it should stand up to the occasional encounter with brush, etc.

Attachments

• 28962878223_484945942d.jpg
    28962878223_484945942d.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 29505921471_7c8dab86f9.jpg
    29505921471_7c8dab86f9.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 29586422365_8d4bf6031d.jpg
    29586422365_8d4bf6031d.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 29539079491_0b4a28fd44.jpg
    29539079491_0b4a28fd44.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 28996064243_1ed511aa64.jpg
    28996064243_1ed511aa64.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 95
   / When one door closes, another opens.... #69  
Yeah, the bright white light is kinda harsh on the reflection on mine as well. But man, you can really see with them.

More personalization.

My old 1430 came with NO gauges, only idiot lights for the alternator and oil pressure -- not even a fuel gauge. With the rough-cut mowing I've done this fall, I've had overheating issues this fall. Found my radiator was completely blocked with buildup behind the oil cooler, though I'd been diligent about blowing it out as best I can with compressed air. Long story short, I developed pin hole leaks where the tubing enters the top tank. After two attempts at getting that soldered at a radiator shop, I finally yanked the radiator and am having the core replaced. When I reinstall it, I'm going to cover it with window screen wire to try to keep debris out.

Meanwhile, I wanted to add a water temp gauge so I can monitor temps especially when mowing. So, I added a matching VDO Viewline marine water temp gauge and oil pressure gauge. These are waterproof, and hopefully rugged enough to stand up to the environment on a tractor. I mounted them om a plasitc pod on an aluminum plate mounted to top of the dash. They stick out over the edge of the dash panel, but are essentially flush with the steering column and the cup holder I added earlier.

Also added a Tiny Tach diesel tach/hourmeter underneath them. This Kubota engine doesn't have the mechanical tach drive, and electronic tachs for diesels can be quite expensive. This was the most affordable one I could find -- monitoring RPM by sensing pulses in a fuel injector line. It will also be handy to have an hourmeter up front, instead of just the one in the engine compartment.

30779812745_6151dfd9a0_k (1).jpg30148162194_fb6b4f3038_k.jpg