When to give up: lemon law for tractors.

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors.
Problems come up sometimes - and will again. This is a good place to learn. Just for clarity, I did call it a vapor lock when I first brought the issue to the forum -last Aug, and you'all corrected me , but it sounded and acted like a lock (spittin' and stuttering). A lot of you have said inspecting the fuel tank is basic 101 maintenance. I searched how to inspect a tractor fuel tank for debris, and didn't come up with much. With motorcycles, its pretty easy, just take the tank off - but with the tractor, about all I could think of was a visual with a flashlight.

I will post updates. ESPECIALLY that it is running great! :thumbsup:

Previous threads:
B2620 stalls out
Kubota B 2620 chokes and stalls
BX2660 Deluxe Reclining Seat

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #82  
Well, it has been a learning experience. So - teach me. How do I inspect a tractor fuel tank for debris? On my motorcycle, it's pretty simple (you can even just take the whole tank off in a couple of minutes) Shining a flashlight around did not reveal those black disks? Thanks. Dianne

Draining the contents into a clean container for inspection and a careful visual inspection of the tank interior are steps I've taken with equipment (being respectful of the hazards involved with snooping around inside a fuel tank!), but black plastic objects hiding inside a convoluted black plastic tank would probably be quite hard to spot. How were those things found in the tank?

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #83  
Well, it has been a learning experience. So - teach me. How do I inspect a tractor fuel tank for debris? On my motorcycle, it's pretty simple (you can even just take the whole tank off in a couple of minutes) Shining a flashlight around did not reveal those black disks? Thanks. Dianne

Drain tank, Get scope from tool box, take a good look inside !

This might be a hard to do thing for some DIY folks who don't have lots of tools but a shop should be equipped with the proper tools to do internal inspections especially being this is not an uncommon type problem.

The dealer found them .... the tech and the sales rep have been so "frustrated" by this, too. Thanks for confirming that black objects in a black tank would be hard to find. I am still scratching my head as to how they got in there...but now am thankful they persevered, hopeful that the problem is resolved, and putting the past behind. Tomorrow will have new worries! Dianne

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #85  
"But the bottom line is inspecting the fuel tank is basic mechanics 101"

I must of miss that class, because that wouldn't of dawned on me that stuff was blocking the tank if my tractor was running good then not, then does, then..... The only way I would of check my tank if my tractor wasn't getting any fuel at all, then after I filed a Lemon Lawsuit against the diesel fuel company.

Maybe now this thread title should be changed, and 20 page apology letter to Kubota from the OP, I want it my deck first thing Monday morning.

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #86  
As an arbitrator the facts indicate no correlation to manufacturer defect or negligence... I'm certain Kubota doesn't use a portable fuel canister to add the first gallon of fuel at the end of assembly.

I also would not be inclined to grant extending the warranty for the time in the shop as this only applies when the manufactuer is determined responsible for the defect or delay.

I do venture to guess Kubota participated via billable hours presented... only a thought.

Bought several Kubota Tractors and so far not a single warranty issue... there was one where I was offered an upgraded seat for $50 which had nothing to do with warranty and was mighty nice of Kubota to do.

Guess we will never know where the foreign objects entered the fuel system but safe to venture it was after final assembly and the unit left the plant.

I'm thrilled that this seems to be wrapped up... and truly hope for years of good service to follow.

Thread has also been very informative... sometimes it is the simple things that are the most difficult to find/solve.

I've gone through a few similar things with cars... like a weak fuel pump causing all kinds of check engine codes because the computer was trying to make up for low fuel pressure.

Last edited:
   / When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #87  
As an arbitrator the facts indicate no correlation to manufacturer defect or negligence... I'm certain Kubota doesn't use a portable fuel canister to add the first gallon of fuel at the end of assembly.

I also would not be inclined to grant extending the warranty for the time in the shop as this only applies when the manufactuer is determined responsible for the defect or delay.

I do venture to guess Kubota participated via billable hours presented... only a thought.

Bought several Kubota Tractors and so far no a single warranty issue... there was one where I was offered an upgraded seat for $50 which had nothing to do with warranty and was mighty nice of Kubota to do.

Guess we will never know where the foreign objects entered the fuel system but safe to venture it was after final assembly and the unit left the plant.

I'm thrilled that this seems to be wrapped up... and truly hope for years of good service to follow.

Thread has also been very informative... sometimes it is the simple things that are the most difficult to find/solve.

I've gone through a few with cars... like a weak fuel pump causing all kinds of check engine codes because the computer was trying to make up for low fuel pressure.

Very well stated.

I agree, the contamination came after assembly. So, either it happened at the dealer or it happened after the buyer took possession. Neither of which is a Kubota corporation problem.

I too am glad it got solved.

Not picking on you Dianne. Just trying to "calculate" how this happened. :)

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #88  
"But the bottom line is inspecting the fuel tank is basic mechanics 101"

I must of miss that class, because that wouldn't of dawned on me that stuff was blocking the tank if my tractor was running good then not, then does, then..... The only way I would of check my tank if my tractor wasn't getting any fuel at all, then after I filed a Lemon Lawsuit against the diesel fuel company.

Maybe now this thread title should be changed, and 20 page apology letter to Kubota from the OP, I want it my deck first thing Monday morning.

Just for giggles I went down to the shop and looked in twelve different repair manuals. Looking at the trouble shooting guides under engine stalls every single one listed Fuel filter clogged and/or water and IMURITIES in the fuel system! So I would have to say you definitely missed some classes.
In all honesty I would have fired one of my techs for not finding the problem. Think about this the original poster said they purchased this tractor in 2013 if I remember correctly and it is now 2016. So with that said anyone who thinks they would have missed this should never knock on my door looking for a job in any of my shops as they couldn't get past the first ten questions I would ask during the interview.

/ When to give up: lemon law for tractors. #89  
The dealer found them .... the tech and the sales rep have been so "frustrated" by this, too. Thanks for confirming that black objects in a black tank would be hard to find. I am still scratching my head as to how they got in there...but now am thankful they persevered, hopeful that the problem is resolved, and putting the past behind. Tomorrow will have new worries! Dianne

If the tank was drained and inspected they would have been easy to spot.

Bought several Kubota Tractors and so far not a single warranty issue... there was one where I was offered an upgraded seat for $50 which had nothing to do with warranty and was mighty nice of Kubota to do.

I've gone through a few similar things with cars... like a weak fuel pump causing all kinds of check engine codes because the computer was trying to make up for low fuel pressure.

Kubota and the dealer have gone above and beyond. They were respectful (which matters), responsive... and willing to work through conflict. NO COMPLAINTS! I agree, this has been very informative.