Where are You and Your Computer

/ Where are You and Your Computer #11  
Glenn, and all, I am sitting in my desk chair on the sun-porch/office/school room/dining room and wife's office.
This is caused by having furniture for a 2000 sq ft. home stuffed into an 1100 sq ft cabin! The ol' puter is a home built Athlon 700 w/256 meg ram and 30.6 gig h/d. it is networked with two 450mhz machines and the old 200mhz school computer (for homeschooling) which all go out to the net via a super-duper 56k modem (each one has there own modems or network connection -which is too slow when more than one are on). I have an ISDN router, but pacbell won't let me use it, they want individual ISDN modems on the machines. What can I see? Nuttin. My desk is a corner unit with hutch, with the wife's desk butted up to one side
and the school unit on the dining room table for the duration. The other computer is the son's and is in his bedroom along with enough other electronics to make any 10 kids drool. Not TOO spoiled.

/ Where are You and Your Computer #12  
Good Morning to all. Right now the coffee is brewing, my son is watching Clifford and this is when I get my chance on the computer. I'm using a (now don't laugh) Gateway 486-66 and yes it still runs great but when up log on it's easy to go get a cup of coffee since you don't miss anything. I live in Vermont on a little hill and have a nice view except for today. The fog is so thick I can't even see past the deck. As for work I stay at home with my son. When I retired from the Navy my wife and I made a deal who ever finds the best job go's to work. She has 2 college degrees and I hunted subs for the navy. To say the least there are no submarines in Lake Champlain. We really believe in family so we don't do daycare. That's the one reason I am home. As for the computer when you buy a tractor,FEL,rearblade and bushhog all in one year somethings have to go and you know I don't miss them at all. I've come to the conclusion that a tractor rates right up there with the outdoors and a good dog!!! They can't be beat.
You all have a great day!!!
Al

/ Where are You and Your Computer #13  
I'll join in.

I'm in my office on the fifth floor of an office building in Washington DC. (If this were a melodrama, that would be your cue for the "booo.... hisss....).

I have a window but it looks out on a brick wall about ten feet away and the neighbor building is tall enough that I cannot even see the sky. I work on a Dell Optiplex GX110 and access Tractorbynet through the network to the internet at T1 speed. I keep Tractorbynet minimized all day and check in between phone calls, e-mails, spreadsheets and memos.

I live in West Virginia so my commute is about 65 miles each way, 5 days a week. My home computer is an old 486 DX4-100. It's good enough for what I do on the computer at home, which is almost nothing since I sit in front of one at work 9 hours a day.

Al: I'm retired Navy too. Did you hunt subs as a SWO or Airdale? I was an NFO in EA-6B's.

Bill

/ Where are You and Your Computer #14  
Where am I? I have two views from my office. One, behind me, is a view to the west through the bay window that takes up most of my back wall. I see nothing but big blue sky with white, billowing clouds and rolling hills that just keep on rolling into the horizon. To my left and up (about 10 o'clock) through my office door and continuing through the door to the patio, I have the rising green of the grass and a smattering of pine trees that climb the hill into more big blue sky.

Where am I? I'm at home - and if it seems like a bit of heaven -- it is. And I'm at work. A bit of heaven about my work is that I work at home. I'm a lucky man.

Huck

/ Where are You and Your Computer #15  
I dug out my little "web cam" to give a bit of the view out the back window. I think the lens is a bit cloudy but you get an idea. As for internet connectivity, I'm on a Roadrunner cable modem (Time Warner).

Huck

/ Where are You and Your Computer #16  
I am in my study. To my left are two 4' x 12' windows that run from the floor to the ceiling. I look out toward my front lawn which is absolutely the deepest richest green I have ever seen right now. There is stand of pine trees with a white 3 rail PVC fence just beyond. My computer is a 400mhz HP w/56K modem, scanner, and Read/write CD drive. My wife uses the scanner to scan images and convert them to a format for her embroidery machine. My computer sits in a cabinet where the doors can be shut and it looks like a big armoir. I am the Information Resource Manager at work and it would look really bad for me to be caught surfing. I don't view it as any different than a smoke break but I choose not to do it.

/ Where are You and Your Computer #17  
Well, Glenn, being "retired" I have one bedroom of the house converted to an office/study with my desk, file cabinet, stereo, and a couple of bookcases. I can look out the window to my right at my backyard, blackberry patch, vegetable garden (plowed ground right now), and pasture, or I can look out the window behind me to a pecan tree, crepe myrtle bush and beyond that, the barn. I'm just using an IBM Aptiva AMD K2/300 with dial up Internet connection on old country phone lines that get 26400 bps at best.

Bird

/ Where are You and Your Computer #18  
I'm at a desk that serves as my "office", located in the living room. Out of one window I can see the backyard, presently littered with toys, beyond that the propane tank and mesquite pasture. Out a window behind me is an area that I've cleared and is mostly bermuda, beyond that are other peoples houses, fields, and pastures. I can also see the steeple of the Catholic church in St. Hedwig, it's about two miles away. If it's quite, or if I'm outdoors I can hear its bells chime everyday at 6:00am and 6:00pm.
ErnieB

/ Where are You and Your Computer #19  
<font color=blue> I can hear its bells chime everyday at 6:00am and 6:00pm </font color=blue>

Nice.

Huck

/ Where are You and Your Computer #20  
Currently I am at work.Round trip commute for me is 4 miles I am a Process Operator of a Lime Kiln.
I have 9 screens to watch with only 1 having the ability to get tractorbynet on LOL.Compaq deskpro on network at work
compaq 5240 at home on modem
here is a pic of me hard at Work