Where did this seal come from?

/ Where did this seal come from? #12  
I best take a look at my 4300, as the same shield/seal by that p/n is on it as well. Thanks for the heads up.

/ Where did this seal come from? #13  
Ya I think I'm going to take a look at mine too. I'm thinking the tear comes from the tractor sitting for a while with moisture in behind the seal. The seal lightly gets rusted on to the metal and the next tine you turn your wheel it's torn and can fall off. If you look closely at the pictures of the seal it's cracked in a few places other than where it's torn. My thoughts to preserve my seals if they are still good would be to pull the lip of the seal down and slip the hose from a WD40 can behind and lubricate the seal a bit. I noticed in the parts book that there were two seal numbers with the first one being superseded by the second hopefully improved one.

/ Where did this seal come from?
Hello my friends, you guys are terrific :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here is a diagram from the JD Parts web site. The description with ALL part numbers is actually three pages long. I've only included the diagram page with the correct part # in red on the diagram itself.

Thanks again to all for your help with this find :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

FredSG

/ Where did this seal come from? #15  
I'm glad the problem is solved! Thanks for the diagram Fred.

Hello again my friends,

I Emailed the photos to my JD technician and he just replied suggesting that the seal I pointed to in my diagram WAS NOT the correct problem seal, as it is closer to 4" in size. He directed me to #22 in the same diagram which he states is closer to the 3" size. He states that JD has a new style for that front outer hub.

FredSG

/ Where did this seal come from? #17  
And I'm still going to stick with number 33 in the diagram. If number 22 seal was missing you would have an oil leak....unless there is no oil in your final drive. Number ten is the sleeve that number 33 rides on if I'm reading the parts drawing correctly.

pmsmechanic,

This is the diagram from my 4310 technical manual. Same information just identified differently

So on this diagram, the seal is letter I . . . is that correct? as it appears to correspond with #33 on the previously posted diagram.

A bit confusing for me, so please clarify, if you don't mind, please.

FredSG

/ Where did this seal come from? #19  
Could it be the seal from one of your hydraulic filters?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    897.4 KB · Views: 91
   / Where did this seal come from? #20  
Yes FredSG I would agree that "I" would correspond to #33 in the parts diagram. And I don't think it would be as difficult to replace as I initially thought. If you take the bolts out of the elbow part marked "G" you can just take the whole final drive to the work bench to do the job or a mechanic if you don't want tackle it yourself. You would just remove the cover "W" and start removing shafts, gears and bearings till it comes apart. Lay everything out in the order you take it apart and then it wouldn't be hard to put it back together again. I have a service manual and can give you the specs or someone who is less computer challenged than I am can scan the pages and send them to you. You can also buy whole service manuals online as pdf's for a very reasonable price.