Where did this seal come from?

/ Where did this seal come from? #21  
So on this diagram, the seal is letter I . . . is that correct? as it appears to correspond with #33 on the previously posted diagram.

I look at it as being letter "H" in the diagram (and is a wear sleeve) and that corresponds to "10" in jdparts (part #M138286).
But either way, will need to come apart to replace. Puzzles me how that wear sleeve can get out of the housing. Even more so, if it really is the seal how it gets out.

Last edited:
   / Where did this seal come from?
Beenthere,

I've been wondering the same thing . . . how it got out, when every thing seems to be enclosed in a solid casing . . . ?

Any thoughts on how it got out?

FredSG

/ Where did this seal come from? #23  
Here is a pic from the tech manual referring to the seal and the sleeve.

Attachments

• 4310_mfwd_spindle.jpg
    4310_mfwd_spindle.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 311
   / Where did this seal come from? #24  
I haven't looked at mine yet so I'm going by memory. That seal just sits there. It's not encased in anything and only the tension of the rubber holds it in place. If the seal tares like it did in this case then all you have to do is turn the steering wheel and it will work it's way out.

Good thumbnails guys. I need to learn how to do that.

/ Where did this seal come from? #25  
Good thumbnails guys. I need to learn how to do that.

Easy, just click on the "go advanced" button and look for the "Manage Attachments". Click, follow the "Add" and the "Browse" guidelines and you can load about anything. I usually put my things in .jpg format. You will see when your extension is attached and then just click on Preview or Submit.
It is a good system on TBN.

To pull things off the computer screen, I use "Paint" software that comes with the computer.
Click on "Print Screen", get into "Paint" and do a "Ctrl V" to paste your screen image into Paint.
Then box out what you want, and SaveAs in a .jpg format.

/ Where did this seal come from? #26  
I have no idea where it goes but it was mentioned to first try to glue it back on and see what happens. Over the years I have tried weatherstrip adhesive, etc and recently had great luck with a tacky super glue. I never would have guessed it would work but I glued some rubber seals to plastic seed cups on a Brillion seeder and had 100% success. The idea was suggested by Brillion tech people and I saved myself a few hundred $$.

/ Where did this seal come from? #27  
I believe this seal is in the pivot "trunnion" area of the front axle. This is where the axle pivots side to side over uneven ground. Item #16 in the diagram is part # M163888 and it is 2.640" inside diameter and 3.120" outside diameter. It helps keep grease in the pivot point and keeps dirt/water out. It is not a critical seal, but Be sure to grease it often until the seal can be replaced to help keep contaminants out. The entire axle assembly needs to be removed to replace it. This seal is in the rear pivot joint. There is a similar, smaller diameter one in the front pivot, #2 in diagram.

Attachments

• MP38949________UN31OCT06.gif
    MP38949________UN31OCT06.gif
    32.3 KB · Views: 540
Hello again,

I just thought I'd post an update to my original thread question . . . Where Did This Seal Come From? My John Deere Technician came to my home and working in my garage, he replaced two seals. It meant dropping the front axle. The diagram shows the two seals that were installed, highlighted in yellow with a red circle around the seal #. Job took about two hours. Two different sized seals were involved: #2 - M136887, the smaller seal, and #16 - M136888, the larger seal

Many thanks to everyone who suggested a possible fix and where the seal(s) might have came from.

FredSG

/ Where did this seal come from? #29  
That's good to know about.

I might never have suspected the seal you found to have come from there.

Did you any oil from your front axle after the seal came out. It would be helpful to know.

Congrats on it being repaired.

Hi LoudonNH,

Nope dry seals . . . no oil leaked out. The tech said they were intended to keep dirt and moisture out and not oil in . . . so he said.

FredSG