Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees?

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees? #51  
If you like your tractor and value your life, forget the chain...

I'm 10 years old, sitting with my bud outside his dad's blacksmith shop. We're watching a cat using a chain to pull a maple stump next door.

Suddenly a huge BANG and a great big dent in the metal shop wall behind us. I'm told the flying link missed my head by a foot or so. Would have pulped my brains like a ripe melon.

Just sayin',
Z.

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees? #52  
Not sure what size stump your pulling, but I learned a trick a long time ago, hook your chain low on the stump, then roll a tire over against the stump, route the chain cable over the tire, then hook on to the lowest point, closest to your axle, not on the 3 point. Then give it a good tug, it will pop out like a cork as the directional forces are up, and not side ways.. It also does very little damage to the ground if its in a well manicured area.

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees?
I'm trying to visualize how this would work.

Not sure what size stump your pulling, but I learned a trick a long time ago, hook your chain low on the stump, then roll a tire over against the stump, route the chain cable over the tire, then hook on to the lowest point, closest to your axle, not on the 3 point. Then give it a good tug, it will pop out like a cork as the directional forces are up, and not side ways.. It also does very little damage to the ground if its in a well manicured area.

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees? #54  
This is a bush, not a stump, but it illustrates the idea.

Bruce

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees? #55  
Just for fun, here is my crazy wife on the lift limbing the trees. She is so awesome.
View attachment 395053

Sorry to be the safety police, but she's using a hand saw, right? One without an engine I mean. No chainsaw PPE in sight. Just checking.

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees?
She is using a gas powered limber.

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees? #57  
Again, I'm digging some of the roots out first depending on the tree size. My main concern is a good place to connect a cable to on the tractor itself while the BH is still attached.

Here is a picture of some of the trees I'm talking about. These, I pushed over with the FEL.

View attachment 395052

I'm still confused. The backhoe you have would finish that job pretty quickly. Why bother to pull or push at all?

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees? #59  
Here's pictures of 60' + pine trees, probably 12" diameter and their good size root balls that I pulled over with a cable. Place cable as high as I would dare to go up on ladder (~16' or so).
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.” -(paraphrase)-Archimedes (c.287 BC – c. 212 BC)

IMG_1741.jpgIMG_1742.jpgIMG_1743.jpg

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees? #60  
I took the bar off when the BH is installed. Laughing at the tree to chain ratio...