Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees?

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees? #71  
Actually the main reason loggers use wire rather than chain is it's compatibility with pulleys. Especially when not under tension & running horizontally you can do stuff with wire you can't with chain.

Yep - when pulling on trees a snatch block can be your best friend.
A snatch block is nearly impossible to rig if you're pulling the load with a chain.

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees? #72  
Yup, it would be nearly impossible to flip the tractor if the pull point was below the horizontal centerline of the rear axle. I knew of a local young man who was skidding logs and his tractor did flip backwards and pinned him. He did not survive. I suspect that he somehow was pulling from a point above the centerline of that axle. We all should be aware of that possibility. No ROPS on his old tractor.

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees? #73  
I use the draw-bar with a clevis. Only once did I use it for a standing tree. Had a wind blown "widow maker" that was detached from the stump. Pulling a standing tree is another deal entirely. I do pull downed trees up out of our draw with the L4600 and it's surprising how well it works on some decent diameter logs. Be safe and feel what the tractor is telling you. ROPS always.

/ Where do you hook your chain for pulling trees? #74  
I throw a string with a weight as high up the tree as I can, before I cut anything, say 20'-25' up, then haul a 3/4" poly rope up there. Then I dig out the roots on the back side, and uproot the tree easily from 100' away. With leverage that good, I don't worry about damaging my FEL. A pulley connected to another tree works when you can't get the tractor in position where you want the tree to fall. Even once had my grandson back the tractor to fell the tree, thrilling for him!