where saftey glasses? you bet i do!

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #11  
I has laser eye surgery several years ago and after the surgery it was always hard to remember to put safety glasses on..until I had a car battery blow its caps off in my face. I was working on my truck and had left the hood up for awhile so there shouldn't have been any hydrogen gas around, the operative word was shouldn't!

Anyway, I'm prying off the caps to check the electrolyte and "POW" off comes the cap and it flew over my shoulder. My face was peppered with grit and right away my face started burning, except for where my safety glasses were. A quick splash with the garden hose and I was back good as new. If it hadn't been for my safety glasses I would have landed up in the ER. :thumbsup:

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #12  
I would wear safety glasses more if I could find a good pair...

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #13  
   / where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #14  
This post has inspired / reminded me that I need a new pair. I have gotten in the habit of wearing my hard hard with built in ear protection and a flip down face shield for just about anything mechanically related these days. Its saved me more than a few times with the shield and the hard hat part. My dad's blind in one eye and that always reminds me to be extra careful!

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #15  
like i said above "most" of the time i use saftey gear. when i think the job requires it. but when you read "where safety glasses when using 'hammer', 'lawn mowers', 'spray tools', 'greasing equipment', 'oil changes', 'filling a tire with air'" how many of us actually do it with those jobs. i will admit i do it for a couple i listed, but not all.

Many of the suggestions were written by lawyers and are ridiculous. However, I use glasses for "spray tools". Unbeknownst to me, our dog chewed on the sprayer hose. Filled it with Roundup and started pumping in pressure. The poison spayed into my face. Without safety glasses it would have gone into my eyes! Perhaps someday doctors will be able to regrow eyes but that day isn't here yet. Lose an eye and it's gone FOREVER.

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #16  
As a good friend of mine if fond of saying;

You can chew with false teeth; you can walk on a wooden leg;
but you can't see with a glass eye. Wear your safety glasses!

And how many of you wear hearing protection (plugs or muffs) when operating noisey equipment? Just because the noise level is 83dB and not 85 or higher does not mean it is not doing damage to our hearing.

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #18  
How did the bad schrader valve break free from the stem? I always have my eyeglasses on except when using the grinders? The face shield always fogs up in a few minutes..

/ where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #19  
Last edited:
   / where saftey glasses? you bet i do! #20  
Its a requirement to wear safety glasses on most of the job sites I'm on, so I invested in a real nice pair of shades with a mild tint so I can wear them in nearly any weather. I just bought some "Optic Nerve" glasses that are really nice, and if you look, most Oakley's are ANSI rated.

The box stores have some decent safety glasses. They range from cheap to $40 or so. I recommend a good polarized set, that you wear as sunglasses, that you can comfortably wear all day at the beach. When you wear them for the sun and if they look good, you are much more likely to be wearing them all the time and the exact time something hits your face.

I can't tell you how many times I've had a near miss in the past. I won't go into it, but lets just say I've been extremely lucky in this department. I'm pretty sure that I've used up all that luck so I'm diligent instead.