Where to buy a new chuck?

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #11  
The last chuck I bought was about 3 years ago and it was a keyless Llambrich 1/8" to 5/8" capacity. and IIRC it was somewhere around the $200 - $250 range back then. Over the years I've bought a variety of keyless chucks and have never had a problem with any of them and I would never buy a keyed chuck unless I was planning on using it in a reverse direction since most keyless chucks loosen when turned backwards.

/ Where to buy a new chuck?
The last chuck I bought was about 3 years ago and it was a keyless Llambrich 1/8" to 5/8" capacity. and IIRC it was somewhere around the $200 - $250 range back then. Over the years I've bought a variety of keyless chucks and have never had a problem with any of them and I would never buy a keyed chuck unless I was planning on using it in a reverse direction since most keyless chucks loosen when turned backwards.

Good to know

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #13  
Albrecht makes very nice keyless chucks, forward or reverse doesn't matter

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #14  
Yikes... I had no idea decent replacement chucks were so much!!! :eek: Lots of good info here. :thumbsup:

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #15  
Yes they are, all my chucks were used. You can find some good deals if you're patient.

/ Where to buy a new chuck?
I think Jacobs and Albrecht will be too expensive. Rohm seems middle of the road price-wise.

What about Accupro? They make a "hybrid" keyed/keyless chuck...

What about Bison?

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #18  
That should be a decent chuck for you, I'd imagine it's probably just as accurate, if not more so then the spindle.

Only issue I could see is if you need to go smaller then an 1/8in but depending on your needs that might not be a problem.

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #19  
Little late, seems you found out what morse taper you had.

But based on the pic of your old mandrel, it looks like you have a MT1 press?? Hope I am wrong and you got the right one.

But the taper dimension charts are online. And JT2 is .559" on the big end.

And that mandrel you have pictured, shows that the JT2 is LARGER on the big end than the morse taper is on the big end.

MT2 is supposed to be .700" on the big end. MT1 is .475 on the big end. Which based on you pic, it does look like the morse is about that much smaller than the JT.

Grab some calipers and take some measurements to confirm. Dimensions of Standard Tapers - LittleMachineShop.com

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #20  
Happy to be of service.

Enjoy ! :thumbsup: