Which 3pt log skidding winch?

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #11  
Honestly there haven't been many situations when I wanted to pull from the seat. I'm happy to get off the tractor, but that's just me. Whichever model you get, you'll wonder how you lived without it. I know I sure do.
I meant after you've winched the logs to the winch and are driving, it's nice to have the cage there. Which brings up a question: Do you, or most people, then hook the chokers onto the winch, or leave them connected to the cable when you drag the logs? Or both, to double the number of logs ( providing you have enough chokers)?

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #12  
I meant after you've winched the logs to the winch and are driving, it's nice to have the cage there. Which brings up a question: Do you, or most people, then hook the chokers onto the winch, or leave them connected to the cable when you drag the logs? Or both, to double the number of logs ( providing you have enough chokers)?

I do have enough chokers, but it depends on the size of the logs. If they are small I hook them to the winch and go get more so some are on the winch some on the cable. If they are medium sized I hook two or three to the winch and leave one on the cable, usually to the lower block if I can. Large ones I try to hook to the winch if possible. If I'm dragging big stuff around, I'd rather it not pull my cable in under the other layers. Really, I guess it's different every time. I can see how the cage is a nice safety feature, though.

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #13  
I do have enough chokers, but it depends on the size of the logs. If they are small I hook them to the winch and go get more so some are on the winch some on the cable. If they are medium sized I hook two or three to the winch and leave one on the cable, usually to the lower block if I can. Large ones I try to hook to the winch if possible. If I'm dragging big stuff around, I'd rather it not pull my cable in under the other layers. Really, I guess it's different every time. I can see how the cage is a nice safety feature, though.

If you're transporting logs attached to the winch cable, as I mostly do, it's probably best to use the lower pulley and not the upper one. If you hit a snag while moving, having the cable in the high position puts more leverage on the tractor, possibly enough for an upset on slopes and turns and definitely putting a lot of strain on the 3 point toplink. Not much of a worry if you're towing on smooth, open ground, but in the woods, etc., it's something to think about.

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #14  

I am the proud owner of Gordon's old JL601 (Farmi). I had it for about a year or so and a bud asked me to help pull a huge Deer front end loader out of the mud. Everything was going fine until the input shaft bearing race let go.. WOO!

I don't know how old the winch was, but I was clearly abusing it!. Anyway, I pulled apart the following afternoon, got the make and serial numbers off ALL the bearings, cross referenced them on the internet to Timken and a few days later put the big lug back together again. I have put up about 150 cord of with since I have owned the winch, all felled on my property. It is reliable, rugged, and ugly. I love the big brute!

I do chain up the stubes rather than skid them attached to the cable. I don't like the logs flopping around when I am skiding them and chaining them to the winch frame solves that issue.Farmi says the lower block is to be used for skidding when doing so on the cable. I find I use the lower block when winching a particularly heavy stub as I believe it reduces the stress on the top link, putting more load into the dozer blade down force.

Attachments

• Fire wood 2011 007.jpg
    Fire wood 2011 007.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1,147
  • Firewood%202009%20004.jpg
    Firewood%202009%20004.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,165
  • Firewood%202009%20016.jpg
    Firewood%202009%20016.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 559
   / Which 3pt log skidding winch? #15  
I don't think it's possible to buy a bad logging winch because it seems they are all good. Brand preference is most likely local availability.

Up here, I see mostly Fransgard.

Anybody have a Tajfun? A guy is selling them near me and I might go check them out.

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #16  
Forestry winches | Les distributions Payeur
This is a Canadian company, they build several models both hydraulic and mechanical.
Seeing where the CDN dollar is right now, $.80, it may be very attractive for a US customer to buy.
I have a TR65H model, hydraulic, with a wireless remote and it is a great unit, rugged built ,Canadian made.
They have a wide selection of forestry equipment.

IMG_1485.jpgIMG_1474.jpg

Last edited:
   / Which 3pt log skidding winch? #17  
Got a Tajfun EGV-35A and been very happy with it. Has 200' of 3/8'' cable which is great for snaking logs from hillside so tractor stays on level ground.

Attachments

• 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 469
  • P1000536A.jpg
    P1000536A.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 345
   / Which 3pt log skidding winch? #18  
I have a Wallenstein FX65 coupled to my MF 4608.
Not a log I couldn't pull...very good machine, well build and very easy to operate
I would highly recommend it...and as others have said, once you'll have one, you'll wonder how you ever did without.

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #19  
When I was (kinda) researching them. The Tajfun impressed me. If you have 2 different dealers with 2 different brands, I'd shop price 1st. then dealer consideration 2nd. Farmi & Wallenstein (I think) are similar enough to toss a coin although Farmi has been at it for a long time. The reason I put the dealer after the price, is that unless you really get a "lemon" or absolutely abuse it, I doubt you'll need him for years after the sale.

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #20  
I bought an Igland 3601 about 10 years ago from a dealer in Maryland. Been a very handy piece of equipment. Has enough "umph" that it will either pull the log to the tractor, or the tractor to the log. :D

ry%3D400