Which 3pt log skidding winch?

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #22  
That reminds me how with a winch on any vehicle, one gets a little braver on the places they'll go with it.
So I bury the tractor up to the axles in the mud trying to bring fill to a swampy area where I'd put a culvert in.
No problem, I get the pickup and park it at the top of the bank on the other side of the hedgerow and hook the winch cable on to it. I get my 14 year old daughter to work the winch as I work the diff. lock, clutch, hand throttle and FEL trying to lift/pry the front axle out.
As you might of guessed, I was a bit surprised when I saw the truck getting dragged through the bushes and starting down the bank!

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #23  
If you have 2 different dealers with 2 different brands, I'd shop price 1st. then dealer consideration 2nd. Farmi & Wallenstein (I think) are similar enough to toss a coin although Farmi has been at it for a long time. The reason I put the dealer after the price, is that unless you really get a "lemon" or absolutely abuse it, I doubt you'll need him for years after the sale.

I totally agree with this line of thinking on any winch with a decent reputation

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #24  
I have a question about winching options. My 40HP tractor PTO will not work unless I am in the tractor seat. I put something heavy in the seat when using the wood chipper, but this would be a bigger PITA using a skidding winch. I do have hydraulics at the rear -- both Power Beyond and Momentary. Is there such thing as a 3-Point hydraulic winch? I see Farmi has a hydraulic model designed for tractor front-mount which requires 10 gpm and pulls 6000 lbs 3 feet per second.

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #25  
I have a question about winching options. My 40HP tractor PTO will not work unless I am in the tractor seat. I put something heavy in the seat when using the wood chipper, but this would be a bigger PITA using a skidding winch. I do have hydraulics at the rear -- both Power Beyond and Momentary. Is there such thing as a 3-Point hydraulic winch? I see Farmi has a hydraulic model designed for tractor front-mount which requires 10 gpm and pulls 6000 lbs 3 feet per second.

I think the hydraulic models are quite a bit more expensive. Many tractor models allow for stationary pto operation without an operator in the seat. I think on most machines you tip the seat forward. I stand for many tasks on my rig, so the operator presence switch doesn't work for me. I was going to jump it, but just zip tied the switch closed instead. Took about 15 seconds. Not saying you should do that or that's it's safe, but it's what I needed to do.

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #26  
Louie,
On my tractor, I had to call the dearer about running the PTO while off the seat so i could use the winch. With my tractor, while off the tractor with the brake engaged, I push the clutch in, engage the PTO and release the clutch AND then flip the seat to the steering wheel. You have about 2-4 seconds to get this done. I would think your tractor has a similar option

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #27  
I spent a lot of time looking at the different skidding winches... In the end, to me it looked like it was a choice of Farmi or Wallenstein... I chose Wallenstein, the FX90 in particular.

standard.jpg

I've skidded everything from multiples of smaller tree's for firewood,

standard.jpg

To huge tree's for firewood,

standard.jpg

And also some really nice big tornado damaged red oaks out of a ravine for my sawmill,

standard.jpg

The FX90 skidded them right out,

standard.jpg

I believe I made the right choice, it's the brand I'd buy again...

SR

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #28  
I have had excellent luck with my Tajfun. The price was good, and it came with swaged cable. It has an upper and lower pulley. Made in Slovenia.

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #29  
I had a Farmi 351 which I used for years. It worked great. When I got a bigge tractor I bought a new Farmi 501. I've only used it about 5 hours since I no longer live on my farm. It's at my house in North Haven CT. I keep it because I keep thinking I will use it, but I'd sell it if your interested. PM me

/ Which 3pt log skidding winch? #30  
I'm interested in a wallenstein 65 or 90. I'm running 29PTO HP off a kubota so the 65 fits in that hp. The 90 starts at 30 PTO HP. I know myself so I'll eventually get a bigger tractor but it could be 5 years and a lot of skids away. Anyone have an idea if I went with a 90 I'd at least get the performance of the 65 until I moved up in PTO HP?

Thanks

FX65

PULLING CAPACITY 6,500 LBS.
HP RECOMMENDATION 17-45 HP**
MOUNTING (3 POINT) CATEGORY I
PTO INPUT SPEED 540 RPM MAX.
CABLE SPEED @ 540 RPM

FX90
PULLING CAPACITY 9,000 LBS.
HP RECOMMENDATION 30-80 HP
MOUNTING (3 POINT) CATEGORY I & II
PTO INPUT SPEED 540 RPM MAX.