Which Deere 4000

/ Which Deere 4000 #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have 500 acres in southeast ohio, mostly wooded, 30 acres of hayfield, trying to decide on which deere to buy. Use will be bush hog, tilling, minimal loader work. 4100 seems to small and light, what is the price difference b/t 4200 and 4600? It seems logical to error a little on the big side, as far as which one to get (if i can afford it) because as time goes on and purchasing more implements you could have a wider range of use for it. Right now i think 4400-4600 would work. Any input on kubotas?? Which models are comparable to the JD's I'm considering. Some of the guys on this site seem to like em a lot. Educate me, boys! Thanks for any help. Buz

/ Which Deere 4000 #2  
Buz, go to a Kubota dealer and drive the B2710 and/or a B2910 and see if you understand why a lot of us (but not everyone, of course) prefer Kubota. The bigger B series tractors are the most comparable to the JD4100/4200. But for your property, look at and drive a couple of the L series Kubotas, too. And of course, I'd even recommend you go check out the New Holland Boomer line, also.

Bird

/ Which Deere 4000 #3  
Buz, with 500 acres, and a good tractor that will last a lifetime, you may want to think about a much bigger machine...if you buy a 4100/4200, I can almost guarantee that in a few years (or less) you are going to wish you had a something bigger.

Skip the 4000 series altogther and take a look at the 5000 ten series. I have the 5410 for 175 acres, and even though I don't actively manage most of the 175 acres, their is plently of work to do around a big parcel that will require a big machine...trust me, once you have one, you find all kinds of things you will want to do with it.

It certainly is possible that you may end up with two machines, if that was the case I'd go with the 5410 or the 5510 ten for the bigger heavy duty machine (65 or 75HP respectively) and perhaps get one of those cute little orange things for the light work <gg>.

I am a big fan of JD tractors, but only once you get past a certain size.

/ Which Deere 4000 #4  
Bird & Buz,

Just another cool thing about New Holland, since Bird recommended that you go look, once you start looking at the TC25D and up, you can get the seat that swivels left or right 20 degrees! I could use that (if it were available) on my TC18 when doing rear work! New Holland certainly has the owner in mind when designing these revolutionary machines! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Which Deere 4000 #5  
Buz, please read my posts regarding JD4400 on the Buying a John Deere. Also, check out my posts on the compact tractor board. Bird is a Kubota guru. He will save me alot of heartache and cash when I purchase my 2910. Ill have to see about buying that man lunch when I have a trip thru Houston. Of course, I dont know where Frost Tx. is in relation to Houston.

/ Which Deere 4000 #6  
David, thanks for the kind words, but I sure don't claim to be an expert on tractors (of any kind). I put nearly 500 hours on my 1995 B7100 and so far 140+ on my B2710 (don't remember how much time on my dad's little old 1938-40 John Deere when I was a kid), but I've learned a lot on this forum, and from a lot of neighbors, most of whom have big tractors; John Deeres, Oliver, Farmall Super H and Super M, White, a few with old Ford 8N and 9N, etc. (and I had a lot of fun helping one of them for a couple of years with his hay cutting, baling, and hauling). And of course, two John Deere, two New Holland, and one Kubota dealer (as well as a White, Massey Ferguson, Cub Cadet, and Case International dealers) are customers of mine and my brothers. And I spent some time visiting and getting acquainted with Zetor, Mahindra, and Belarus dealers. And the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif And then we all have our personal preferences, and I don't mind shooting off my mouth and telling folks about mine (I do try to remember to let folks know whether I think I know what I'm talking about or whether it's purely personal opinion; don't know that I always succeed in doing that)./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif But for a personal opinion (on compact tractors), I do believe that Kubota is first choice, New Holland second, John Deere third, Case International and Cub Cadet tied for fourth, and I wouldn't even think about owning any of the others. And before someone comes down on me too hard, I know there are some other good products out there, and several people have reasons for ranking the brands differently./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

And David, I actually live about 12 miles south of Frost, which is about halfway between Corsicana (on I-45) and Hillsboro (on I-35) about 60 miles south of Dallas./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ Which Deere 4000 #7  
Guess only you have a good look in the future about what you need a tractor for. Most dealers when you say 30 acres of hayfields will say 50 HP and up. Unless you get someone else to till it, plant it, and fertilize it you will be sitting on that tractor a lot of hours at planting season. If you hire someone else to cut it and bail it, the size of your tractor doesn't matter. If his tractor breaks down and you have to pull that bailer, it matters!

My dad raises cattle and hay on 150 acres with a JD 45 pto hp tractor with a loader. I have never hear him say that he wished he had a smaller tractor, but I have heard him on many occassions wish he had a 70 HP tractor. It is kinda frightning when you have something really heavy to pick up, if the tractor cannot do it, then how are you going to do it? You will find lots of heavy things around 500 acres as well as things that have to be pushed, pulled and moved. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Which Deere 4000 #8  
Let me know if y'all decide to 'do lunch' - I'll see if I'm free that week. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Mark

/ Which Deere 4000 #9  
Buz I have 16 acres and a JD 4400 with a loader. I am having a JD 48 backhoe installed this week. I am very happy with the tractor since the new front end was installed. If I had 500 acres I think I would want nothing smaller than a 4600 or maybe one of the JD 5000 series tractors. Chris

P.S. I have been wondering why there are so few posts about John Deeres. Could it be that all the JD owners are out using & enjoying there tractors.

/ Which Deere 4000 #10  
Chris

What is the difference in the 4600 and 5210 JD Tractors. I considered buying the 5210, but never looked closely at the 4600 tractors. Bought a Kubot M6800SD. I had a hard time getting much information on the JD tractors. I went and looked outside, but didn't see any of them out working today.

It would be fun to really know how many of which models are actually being sold, but that information does not seem to be readily available. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif