Grapple Which Grapple Root or Claw???

/ Which Grapple Root or Claw??? #41  
Nice report!!!

I built my grapple onto a Bobcat bucket. I use the ability to haul loose material a lot so it's my preferred design.

I believe style of operation evolves with hours of use. Most times I curl the tool over the pile I'm trying to grab pushing it down against the ground to compress it and get a fuller bite. Sometimes I cheat and push the pile up against a tree to get the same result. :)

/ Which Grapple Root or Claw??? #42  
I guess to me I refer to them as a flat bottomed (Like EAs) or claw (clam shell) grapples like my LP. Not sure I'd ever refer to either of them as a root grapple between the two I've mentioned. Everything has trade offs when compared to a similar competitive item and in depth research with defining as much as possible ones specific primary uses can help one make the best decision for their needs and not the needs of their neighbor/fellow TBNer/dealer/stranger ion the street or even co worker.

Thanks for the update. My first was a claw grapple, sold with the machine. Now have two flat bottom "L" type grapples that work much better than the claw for my uses.

/ Which Grapple Root or Claw???
One other short coming of "my LP claw" is carrying more fragile "stuff". Wouldn't/won't do it due to concern of points of bottom/top claws piercing the fragile object, like a big rubber swimming pool in a box or even a couch or etc.
I did use my claw/clam grapple more today to gather, move to burn pile and push on burn pile cut limbs and cut trees and pressing down on piles and gathering a bunch of trees/brush cut last year.
If I had it to do over at the same money still not sure I'd do the LP I bought or the EA one mentioned above. Like the option of adding closer "teeth" and flat bottom to tilt back and set "stuff" on and transport the "stuff" with out crushing it to hold it on.