which grease for slow & fast bearings & bushings

/ which grease for slow & fast bearings & bushings #1  

orangetree

Silver Member
Tractor
kioti ck2610
Small TLB here with a few implements that have bearings such as a pto snowblower, pto chipper. I've just used the same grease all around until now - but it's been nagging me and I doubt my lithium/moly grease correct for the "fast" or "spinning" interfaces.

For the loader, BH, grapple, etc - the lithium-complex moly fortified grease does seem ideal. Note, I was jumping around brands as I could pick it up on the drive up, such as Valvoline Moly-Fortified Gray/Lithium Full Synthetic. I've realized this is stupid and have 'standardized' on, and now stock, John Deere HD Moly Grease Case TY6333 (picked the Deere because it seems the most consistently widely available online & in my area). I believe this (the Deere 3% moly lithium-complex grease) is the "optimal" choice here for these (A) low-speed/temp (B) high-pressure and (C) sliding surfaces.

On the bearings, though, hope I haven't damaged them, or caused myself a bunch of work to strip & re-pack :(. Using these two as an example:
  • snowblower 1st stage shaft bearings, chipper feed bearings: it's a bearing (eg not a sliding interface where Moly excels). But it's relatively low RPM so practical difference is probably really low(?).
  • snowblower 2nd stage is to be 500 or 1000rpm (eg roughly car wheel bearing speed), and are bearings not sliding surfaces
  • pto shaft u-joints: bushings not bearings (moly is good for sliding) - but relatively fast. Potentially too hot for lithium/moly to be ideal?
SO that's four types of interfaces. What's the "optimal" grease for each? If I want to do it right, I don't mind keeping multiple grease guns. I'd prefer to have everything last as long as possible, and/or require minimal disassembly/cleaning/service (beyond daily greasing).
  1. Slow + Sliding (bushings in loader pins, etc)
  2. Fast + Sliding (engine-speed U-joint bushings such as PTO)
  3. Slow + rotating (slow (10's or RPM) ball/roller bearings - geared down shafts)
  4. Fast + rotating (engine-speed ball/roller bearings)
Tentatively I believe I should be using lithium/moly for #1, and polyurea for #2 & #4?

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / which grease for slow & fast bearings & bushings
based on Project Farm's results, I suppose I should also consider a high-quality lithium-complex NON-moly grease for the high-speed applications (such as Lucas Red "N" Tacky he reviewed very positively)

Side benefit is that I couldn't mess anything up if I used the wrong gun (since both are lithium-complex)

Last edited:
   / which grease for slow & fast bearings & bushings #3  
My understanding is moly greases are great for sliding surfaces but you do not want to use moly grease on a roller or ball bearing - it's TOO slick and the bearing can slide on the surface instead of rotating.

/ which grease for slow & fast bearings & bushings #4  
Small TLB here with a few implements that have bearings such as a pto snowblower, pto chipper. I've just used the same grease all around until now - but it's been nagging me and I doubt my lithium/moly grease correct for the "fast" or "spinning" interfaces.

For the loader, BH, grapple, etc - the lithium-complex moly fortified grease does seem ideal. Note, I was jumping around brands as I could pick it up on the drive up, such as Valvoline Moly-Fortified Gray/Lithium Full Synthetic. I've realized this is stupid and have 'standardized' on, and now stock, John Deere HD Moly Grease Case TY6333 (picked the Deere because it seems the most consistently widely available online & in my area). I believe this (the Deere 3% moly lithium-complex grease) is the "optimal" choice here for these (A) low-speed/temp (B) high-pressure and (C) sliding surfaces.

On the bearings, though, hope I haven't damaged them, or caused myself a bunch of work to strip & re-pack :(. Using these two as an example:
  • snowblower 1st stage shaft bearings, chipper feed bearings: it's a bearing (eg not a sliding interface where Moly excels). But it's relatively low RPM so practical difference is probably really low(?).
  • snowblower 2nd stage is to be 500 or 1000rpm (eg roughly car wheel bearing speed), and are bearings not sliding surfaces
  • pto shaft u-joints: bushings not bearings (moly is good for sliding) - but relatively fast. Potentially too hot for lithium/moly to be ideal?
SO that's four types of interfaces. What's the "optimal" grease for each? If I want to do it right, I don't mind keeping multiple grease guns. I'd prefer to have everything last as long as possible, and/or require minimal disassembly/cleaning/service (beyond daily greasing).
  3. Slow + rotating (slow (10's or RPM) ball/roller bearings - geared down shafts)
Tentatively I believe I should be using lithium/moly for #1, and polyurea for #2 & #4?

Thanks!

In my mind lithium or calcium grease are adequate for all four of your needs. I have used lithium for all of those uses without issues.

I am currently switching to an anhydrous calcium grease for all of those uses and I expect it will perform fine. I purchased it in bulk to try to save a few bucks.

I think greasing interval can be as important as anything. If the greased assembly rotates rapidly and slings the grease out, grease more frequently. If the slow moving assembly got rained on, grease it to force the moisture out.

My criteria for grease is that it be easily available, inexpensive, water resistant, and adherent. Polyurea can be relatively expensive and sometimes short in supply, which is partly why I stick to lithium and calcium greases.

/ which grease for slow & fast bearings & bushings #5  
good grease is never cheap is my only comment other than I use Lubrication Engineers teflon fortified grease for everything and I buy it in 150 pound open head drums that fit my ARO air greaser and I fill my lever guns from it as well and in every implement tool box is one and they are all refilled regularly. The kicker is a 150 pound drum is 1500 bucks plus delivery. Been using it for years, no issue at all. I go through about 150 pounds every 2 seasons.

/ which grease for slow & fast bearings & bushings #6  
All the universal joints I've worked on had needle bearings, not bushings, so should have non-moly.

/ which grease for slow & fast bearings & bushings
Ok, looks like no feedback against non-moly lithium (Red-N-Tacky), so put in an order for that. Should have about a years supply now :)

To tl;dr for any future readers, this is what I'm using going forward:
  • 3% moly lithium-complex (Deere TY6333) for:
    • Slow + Sliding (bushings in loader pins, etc)
  • non-moly lithium-complex (Lucas Red "N" Tacky) for
    1. Fast + Sliding (engine-speed U-joint bushings such as PTO)
      1. note, in case these are bearings as @BigGG mentions, this is still good; you just don't want Moly on parts that aren't meant to slide). Either way, "fast" and "high pressure" are sort of inversely correlated, so Moly wouldn't be critical here either way
    2. Slow + rotating (slow (10's or RPM) ball/roller bearings - geared down shafts)
    3. Fast + rotating (engine-speed ball/roller bearings)
Red-N-Tacky has a drop point at >500 deg-F ... if my equipment gets anywhere near that I am doing something drastically wrong :)

/ which grease for slow & fast bearings & bushings #8  
I used to use Red & Tacky but got tired of it separating out in my gun in the heat of summer & dripping all over everything. Switched to Lucas Xtra HD green polyurea and JD SD polyurea and have never looked back. Both mix well with lithium based greases and they don’t separate out. This has been my one grease for everything for several years and has served me well in my driveshafts, FEL, BH, etc.

/ which grease for slow & fast bearings & bushings #9  

Thanks!
I can’t recommend because it would be a guess. If you utube please watch the AMSOIL grease video. Andy there is a guy that does the comparison with a lot of other high class brands. I think you would really enjoy this

/ which grease for slow & fast bearings & bushings #10