Which handgun for Home defense?

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #21  
I keep a 7 shot .357 Magnum at the ready when we're going to bed...there's a rifle close by, but the revolver is within 12".

Glocks are my favorite semi-auto, but I just do not leave a round in the chamber of a semi-auto unless I'm carrying it. That might seem odd to some folks, but it's what I do.
So, that 7 shot revolver (stainless steel Taurus Tracker) with those hollowpoint magnum rounds provide what I consider, adequate protection...

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #22  
No matter what you decide, have you considered the type of ammo? Depending on your Home's location and proximity to other dwellings, the number of occupants in your Home, among other variables, I would think that emphasis should be placed on Ammo selection also. Just a thought. Best wishes.

Agreed, all aspects should be considered. The company one of my sons use to work for offered a service where they would send someone out to tailor a home defense for your situation, occupants, skill level, number and ages of occupants etc.

Like Soundguy, I have come up with what works for me, but I am always willing to change if someone can point out to me a better way. I actually discussed it with my son again this weekend as he is looking for a new home and is presently living at two different places with different security setups at both.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #23  
I'd suggest a revolver, maybe something like a Taurus Judge, that you can load with heavy buckshot. In a high-stress situation, you don't want to have to remember to rack a slide or release a safety, or both.

I can't understand why people recommend the Judge for a defensive firearm. IMO, it is a terrible choice for that. Okay... it will fire .45LC, which is a fine defensive caliber, but if you want to shoot .45LC, or any other bullet caliber, there are many other choices that are better or cheaper than the Judge. What sets the Judge apart, of course, is its ability to fire shotshells, and in that respect, it falls on its face. Want to fire birdshot to bust clays or kill a snake while hiking? It is great at that. Want to stop a human? It is terrible at firing buckshot. Look at what the Box O' Truth had to say:

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 2

Lessons learned:

1. Jack bought this pistol for snakes and it looks like a fine tool for that job.

2. Birdshot, in any gauge, is for little birds.

3. Buckshot out of a .410 does not penetrate enough to be an effective personal defense load.

4. The rifled slug was also a disappointment and did not have enough weight or power or penetration to be effective as a defense load.

5. The .45 Long Colt loads had plenty of penetration and would be the preferred defense load for this pistol.

6. It's fun to bust clays with this pistol.

IMO, the Judge is either a specialty gun (shooting snakes, etc...) or a novelty gun (fun shooting, such as busting clays), but it is absolutely not a first choice as a defensive gun. If you want to shoot snakes while hiking and then have a defensive firearm at home, the Judge may be a good choice, but load it with .45 LC while you're at home, not shotshells. And if you're shopping for a new firearm for home defense, don't even give the Judge a second glance.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #24  
This is not an arguement over a handgun vs shotgun, right or wrong, I prefer a handgun for home defense for my own reasons. What I am struggling with is should it be a revolver or pistol? I have a S&W M&P 9mm compact that used to be my conceal carry. I have found another gun for that purpose now. I'm trying to decide if I want to use this pistol as my main home defense gun. I was always a revolver guy, and although it is possible to have a malfunction with a revolver, I feel it is much more reliable than a pistol. With that said, it is hard to argue the magazine capacity (firepower) of a pistol. In the case of my M&P 12 and 17 round magazines. I am on the "fencepost" on whether I will keep the 9mm or sell it and purchase a revolver. I used to own a Ruger Gp100 357 but traded it a couple years ago. I do miss it. You can't argue the knockdown power of a 357 magnum. I would not shoot it for years but it would always go "bang" I have thought about the 8 shot S&W 357 although expensive does give me more capacity. I am looking for something that I can put away loaded in my lockbox and forget about it until needed. When I do need it, I want it to work. With a revolver you don't have to worry about getting that cartridge from the magazine to the barrel. It is already there and ready to go. I am concerned about the magazine spring in a pistol. I have searched the internet and get various opinions on spring life. I have emailed Ruger, S&W, Springfield and all of them replied back that they do not recommend leaving a magazine loaded for a long period of time due to spring setting. They recommend checking the spring length periodically and rotating magazines. But can't get a clear answer of how often. Will the oil on the slide rails gum up over time? With all the other things around the house to maintain, do I want to add something else? I took my pistol out to the range the other day and purposely tried to "limp wrist" it by hold it low on the grip and allowing it to recoil up. It did "stovepipe" on me 2 of the 3 shots. So now if I'm hiding behind cover and reaching around, will the same thing happen? Looking at the revolver, if 3 "bad guys" come knocking down my door, will a six shot be enough? I would much rather have the higher capacity at that time. Not sure if there is a clear answer on this subject, but just looking for your thoughts and opinions.

Want capacity get something like the fullsize glock or Taurus 24/7 which has like 17rounds. If you want firepower get a 44mag revolver in like a 6" barrel. If you want something that wont jam get a hi-point. That is the only gun I have shot that has not jamed on anything I have put through it other than handloads (I am a new handloader and have had some OAL issues). I have shot the hi-point gangsterstyle, normal, one handed, limp, unlimp and never had a jamb on factory ammo.

But for me I would get a full size 357 in large frame and many shots like 7 or 8 especially if your wife will be shooting it as well.

Personally I would not sell the 9mm unless you have to.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #25  
Revolver's here.. with speed-loaders if necessary. And a shotgun in the corner! I need a big-bore gun for bears and a semi-auto in .44 mag is like tryin' to aim a small refrigerator! Tritium sights for low light conditions.

AKfish

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #26  
I don't claim to be an expert on the Judge, nor a big fan, but I prefer a revolver for the above-stated reasons. I'd have to think that 3 pellets of 00 buck that penetrate 4.5 inches has gotta slow an attacker down. Don't forget you have 5 more rounds after that. Plus, this mitigates the problem of rounds going outside the home.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #27  
Twelve inches penetration in ballistic gelatin is considered minimum for a defensive round. Less than that you can't reliably hit a vital organ. I can't speak for you, but when I shoot someone I don't want to just slow them down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using TractorByNet

/ Which handgun for Home defense?
Clemson,

I bought the 9mm right when this ***** gun control crap strted up. A high capacity auto was on my gun list, just down towards the bottom. I figured if I better get one just in case I wanted one down the road and then wasn't able to due to some high capacity new law. I carried it for a little while, and while not uncomfortable, I knew it was there. I had an opportunity to purchase a M&P shield and wow it is a nice carry gun. Give up a few rounds but shoots nice, accurate, and can't tell its on my hip. So trying to decide what to do with the larger 9mm. Do I make it a HD gun, carry it on the occasion when I feel that I might need the extra capacity, or sell it and go get a revolver? I do have the LCR and LCP for carry as well.

Does anyone have or shot the S&W 627 8-shot 357 revolver? On the expensive side but could be a real nice HD gun!

And thanks all to those that have responded so far. Helps with my decision making. I do tend to over-analyze things sometimes, but once I make a decision I want to feel good about it and stick with it.

I don't care for the Judge neither...seems like a novelty gun