Which handgun for Home defense?

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #41  
I'm not much on semi-autos, but do like the Ruger Mark II, .22 cal. I had the opportunity to shoot a Springfield .40cal at the range recently; I end up with sore thumbs loading the little Ruger, but this magazine on the Springfield, which held about 14 or 16 rounds was impossible for me to load. I could get maybe 6 or 8 rounds loaded and that was it. I simply couldn't manage the beast without a mechanical assist from a loading device. It's one thing to sit in your living room and load up a pot full of magazines, but it's another to load them in the field under duress. There was a lady next to me with a 9mm and she had no problem reloading; maybe it's just me...:confused:

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #42  
I have a couple revolvers for home defense and a few auto's for an emergency. When I hear something, or the dog starts barking, I grab the revolver. It's a 357 Ruger that I know will always work. Six inch barrel is good enough to shoot raccoons and coyotes in my front yard, and 38 ball ammo is still cheap enough to have fun shooting it.

Lots of choices out there, but this seems like the best one for me.

Eddie

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #43  
It doesn't matter which gun you choose for home defense. The government will be along shortly to collect all the guns they know you have to "Improve public safety" . By chatting about your guns on the Internet you have just added to their data base.

We have been here 200 plus years and no one has come yet. I prefer a extended tube 12 gauge pump loaded with 00 buck and slugs for home protection. Can't miss in the darkness and excitement of an actual event. Something I think a lot of people are not factoring in, if an actual home invasion occurs and the individuals are armed, THEY WILL BE SHOOTING ALSO. Are you prepared to stand and exchange shots or is the goal to eliminate the intruder before you get hurt.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #44  
We have been here 200 plus years and no one has come yet. I prefer a extended tube 12 gauge pump loaded with 00 buck and slugs for home protection. Can't miss in the darkness and excitement of an actual event.
Are you forgetting that little spat we had with the government at Lexington and Concord Mass. back in 1775? I do believe they were coming for our guns.:mad:

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #45  
Are you forgetting that little spat we had with the government at Lexington and Concord Mass. back in 1775? I do believe they were coming for our guns.:mad:

I personally don't think this belongs in this discussion. Friendly Politics is the place for the type of discussion you are wanting to have. This discussion is on Home Defense, not on a political or governmental belief.

/ Which handgun for Home defense?
Thanks Gator...sometimes these forums get off the subject. And as I mentioned in my original post I prefer the handgun over a shotgun. (i have my opinion and reasons) Just looking for advice between the pistol and revolver...thanks!

/ Which handgun for Home defense?
I have a couple revolvers for home defense and a few auto's for an emergency. When I hear something, or the dog starts barking, I grab the revolver. It's a 357 Ruger that I know will always work. Six inch barrel is good enough to shoot raccoons and coyotes in my front yard, and 38 ball ammo is still cheap enough to have fun shooting it.

Lots of choices out there, but this seems like the best one for me.

Eddie

I'm leaning towards the revolver. Like you said Eddie it may be a four legged animal that I'm confronting as well. That Ruger you have is pretty darn accurate.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #48  
All politics aside get a Beretta 92F. The military did extensive testing and retesting and this is the gun that won.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #49  
here's my view on what you said.

you have that spare 9 that you are already familiar with. you used it as a carry gun.. your hand is fmailiar with it and you can operate the controls... thos are plus's and it's free.

I'm mostly a semi auto guy.. but do own a couple revolvers... and those revolvers are my first go to for the home defense setup the wife and i have worked out. here's why. as you stated.. revolvers are pretty plain and simple and don't jamb. pretty much pont and click.. da function is fine. My wife.. simply has difficulty operating the slide of most semi auto pistols. the large frames like 1911 are too much recoil spring for her.. the smaller semi auto aren't enough gun for her to get her hands on for a grip. She CAN operate a revolver..and she CAN operate a pump action on a shot gun. thus we have a multi stage defense plan. a revolver on each side of the bed for immediate respons. have tactical flashlights too. i have a couple different carry guns i use depending on clothing and season, and my cary gun ( all semi auto ) are within reach, as is the revolver, of my sleeping position. same with a pump action 12g. easy reach.. though all weapons mentioned are concealed and hid.

in the first moment of emergency, the revolver is an easy grab and shoot and drop gun... you get 5 'bangs' with 99.9% chance of correct operation, and no slide or safety to fumble with.. that
s a drop gun.. fire and drop.. no fumbling with reload. them 5 bangs lets me decide if I need to go to my semi auto or the party pleaser. during this time the wife has her own gun and her job is to get on the phone and get into the side romm while I'm covering. we have further plans for extended situations or multiple attackers.. etc.. :)
**** man , how long is this shoot gonna last ? Till it ends .

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #50  
While I prefer a "New York Reload", grab a second gun, I had to use a revolver for quite a few years and train with speed loaders. Once you practice enough with them, you can reload pretty quickly. I used HKS, but Safariland make some that are very easy to use and are spring loaded.

Like Eddie, I had a six inch Ruger for quite a few years and they are nice guns. I found the six inch barrel did not work well for me for quick deployment, but once you get it deployed it is great. I tend to prefer shorter barrels, but that is what I am use to. We did a lot of training on disarming techniques and the longer barrels are easier to take from someone, but of course the whole idea is not to let it get to that point.

Like tractors, there are a lot that will get the job done, you just have to decide which is the right one for you. I went through several before finding the right combination for me and heck I might even be wrong on that one.

Whatever a person gets, I recommend going to a professional trainer and going through a course. You may learn something and you may find that certificate very handy if you ever wind up in court.