Which handgun for Home defense?

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #51  
It's nothing fancy, but I use a Ruger P95 w/ 15 round magazine loaded w/ 124 grain +P Speer Gold dots. This gun has never malfunctioned yet. I'll use this to get to the Mossberg 5901loaded with 00 Buck if i have to.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #52  
I'm not much on semi-autos, but do like the Ruger Mark II, .22 cal. I had the opportunity to shoot a Springfield .40cal at the range recently; I end up with sore thumbs loading the little Ruger, but this magazine on the Springfield, which held about 14 or 16 rounds was impossible for me to load. I could get maybe 6 or 8 rounds loaded and that was it. I simply couldn't manage the beast without a mechanical assist from a loading device. It's one thing to sit in your living room and load up a pot full of magazines, but it's another to load them in the field under duress. There was a lady next to me with a 9mm and she had no problem reloading; maybe it's just me...:confused:

Get one of these for your Mark II and you will be happy:)

ADCO Super Thumb Mag Loader Single Stack 22 Rimfire Polymer Black

Sometimes on the 9mm double stack mags they are a bit stiff and hard to load. However as you practice loading more you actually get better at it. One trick is to simultaneously bump the bottom of the mag on a table or your upper leg, just as you push down on the top round with your index finger or thumb while the other hand is feeding a new round into the feed lips.. Now I know this sounds complicated, but with practice you can do it.. When you bump, the heavy column of already loaded ammo heads downward putting pressure on the follower spring so that the pressure on the feed lips is reduced.. Sounds more complicated than it is. Now getting the last round in those ***** 10 round government mandated Glock magazines requires curse words, and lots of them. Them things "just" barely contain 10 rounds.. heaven forbid there would be just a bit more room in them to possibly contain 11 rounds when they wore in... NOO.. we couldn't have that now could we?

James K0UA

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #53  
Most everyone has an opinion. Most of those people with the opinions have a gun. As a matter of fact, most of these people have multiple guns. All different.
Now pick that gun up in the middle of the night, in the dark, in a panic situation, and probably most of you are looking for the safety. It is in a different place on each and every gun. I have 2 guns for home defense. They are identical Springfield arms XD9s. I don't have to look, just aim and fire. They are what I train with and defend with.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #54  
Most everyone has an opinion. Most of those people with the opinions have a gun. As a matter of fact, most of these people have multiple guns. All different.
Now pick that gun up in the middle of the night, in the dark, in a panic situation, and probably most of you are looking for the safety. It is in a different place on each and every gun. I have 2 guns for home defense. They are identical Springfield arms XD9s. I don't have to look, just aim and fire. They are what I train with and defend with.

None of the seven or eight handguns I use for defense have a safety, so I won't be looking for one.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #55  
None of the seven or eight handguns I use for defense have a safety, so I won't be looking for one.

Neither do any of the 3 I have. Of course 2 are revolvers I've had for nearly 49 years. And the semi-auto . . . well, I'd never heard of DAK (Double Action Kellerman) until I went to looking at semi-autos a few years ago. It's strictly double action only.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #56  
Neither do any of the 3 I have. Of course 2 are revolvers I've had for nearly 49 years. And the semi-auto . . . well, I'd never heard of DAK (Double Action Kellerman) until I went to looking at semi-autos a few years ago. It's strictly double action only.

I am on my sixth Sig, my first was a 9mm 226 which I traded for the 228 which I still have then I got a 220 in .45 ACP then Sig 229 in .40 and it was stolen and replaced with another then I got a 239 which my son now has. I have always wanted a DAK, but I had to start using Glocks; maybe some day I will get one, sounds like a nice design.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #57  
If I have to defend myself from someone entering my house uninvited, I use whichever firearm is closest to me at that time! I think could even hold off a would be attacker with a BB gun, if I had to, long enough to reach something better!

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #58  
I had 45 caliber magazines fully loaded for years without a spring problem. Sometime around year eight or so, the springs were replaced just because, not from need.

There should be very little lube used on a auto loader.

One should be shooting and thus cleaning the weapon at least once a year anyway so one should notice any problems with the springs.

I have heard of revolvers failing to fire because they had not been cleaned or the ammo changed in years.

The M&P pistols are very nice with a nice even trigger pull from shot to shot. Not the old double action first shot followed by the cleaner single action shots. My M&P does not have a safety either.

Later,
Dan

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #59  

me neither.. Glocks, Kahrs and revolvers.. pretty simple.

/ Which handgun for Home defense? #60  
I'll also join in with the no safety group. In times of stress, something like fiddling with a safety or even feeling around for something that is or isn't there could be just enough time for the situation to go south on you.

That first finger on your shooting hand and the brain connected to it are all the safeties you need.