Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres)

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I need to choose a brush hog type mower for 12 acres of mostly open pasture. Mostly weeds, don't notice any saplings, up to 2-3 ft high. Light to moderate slope. There is one draw/ravine where water drains (winter.) The pasture is lined with large trees, and it is desired to do some amount of mowing between them. I can mow up/down where slope is greater, except one area above a pond. In that area it might be advisable to "back down" and mow up. Just guessing about that. The Massey 1758 cab model it will connect to has 44.5 pto. Weight is a little over 5,000 lbs.

I'm not sure about 3pt vs pull type. It seems a 3pt is more maneuverable, but the pull type cuts a wider path with less stress on the tractor? I will have a loader to counterbalance a 3pt model, and the rear tires are loaded. When mowing with my 4' brush hog, I have sometimes raised it up, backed into a tight area, lowered it, and drove out. I could see myself doing this where the trees line the pasture, where it is also fenced. I'm guessing the pull type is "forward only?"

For comparison, Woods offers each that would fit my tractor:
MDS8.30 3 point, 96" cut, 45-100 pto, 1,200 lb
DS120 pull type, 120" cut, min 40hp, dual wheels, 2,100 lb

For this property, do you think you would be happier with a 120" pull type, or 96" 3 point mount model?

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #2  
I have an 8' pull type - I really like it but I have not used one that size in 3pt. I have found that my little 8ft is still very maneuverable and easy to back up. Very easy to hook up as well.

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #3  
I would go with the 3pt style. Specially when you have to get between the trees, you're shorter and have direct control over the mower. Having the loader on as ballast adds to your overall length already.
Don't think that the pull type would require less pulling power. It still wants to get pulled on its own wheels.
The tractor itself is ok with either mower.

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #4  
I started with pull type and have used both over the years. I found that the 3 pt suits my purposes better. I don't have to wonder where the mower is located. I know. Having the lift feature is a big plus sometimes. However the drag is easier in hooking up but if you have the Pat's quick hitch system (comes in Cat 1 or 2, ASC and many others sell them....my Cat 2 was about $180) it's a snap to hookup to your 3 pt.

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #5  
I'd choose an 8' pull type for that tractor. Pull type backs just like a trailer. Easy to connect and disconnect. 8' 3 pt cutter would be a lot for the MF you have, IMO.

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #6  
Having the cutter on the 3 point gives you much better control if you have to back the cutter into a tight spot when mowing. I often take advantage of that when cutting under branches along a tree line, for example. You "could" do the same thing with a pull-type cutter, but you'd be doing a whole lot more jockeying to get the cutter backed into the right place. If your place doesn't have any of that and it is mostly cutting in straight lines on open, even ground, the larger pull-type cutter would be better.

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #7  
A pull type was all we used on the farm. With addition of steering brakes, a pull type can be backed into just about any position that a 3 PH style can be after a bit of practice. It does hang back a bit, but it does pretty much follow your tracks unlike a 3 PH one that swings out to the side when turning so you really have to watch out when mowing close to fence or trees when you want to turn. We a little bit of mowing time, you will learn quickly how much side room you need to leave when trailing the bush hog.

No doubt a 3 PH style is easier to operate for the beginner, but a trailer type has move advantages than disadvantages in my opinion. They may cost a bit more than a 3 PH AND be hard to find since most folks want the 3 PH style for the compact tractors.

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #8  
We had a three spindle Liliston pull type for years. I'm guessing it was ten feet. It ran well on a 42 PTO HP Diesel tractor. I hate, I mean just hate attaching anything 3PH without a quick attach system, so the pull type would be my choice.

Having said that, I am looking for a disk and will probably go 3ph only because I see the need to back up and drop the disk in tight quarters.

A 3PH mower would be easier to service.

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #9  
Check out the semi mount. It's the best of both worlds. Uses the lower 3pt arms and a hyd cylinder for the rear height adjustment. Takes most the weight off the tractor when mowing but is easy to back into to places and tracks perfectly

Brett

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #10  
A tow behind mower would be perfect for your 12ac pasture. Easy hook up, cut's backward just fine and if you add a cylinder it's easy to adjust the height.