Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres)

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #11  
My experience is a 8 ft 3 pt or pull type has a tendency to leave a strip in the center of the cut when cutting high and in addition, you have triple the gearbox maintenance compared to a 7 ft. Our suggestions to our customers is mounted cutters for small fields and tight corners or pull type for open field work. Ken Sweet

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #12  
I have a 10' 3-point bush hog. 3210 I think? I really like it.

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres)
Thank you all. I am having trouble choosing because my only past experience is with a Woods RCR4 foot rotary cutter. No pull type experience.

Post #2 likes pull type, post #3 likes 3pt, post #5 isn't sure my tractor is big enough, and post #9 says consider a semi mount. Aaaahh.

I didn't know you could back up a pull type. I thought only a 3pt would let me back down a steep slope with tight access then mow up. Now I know I can do that with either. I back up short trailers and my very short log splitter all the time. So I'm sure I can back up a pull type with few issues.

I will examine the semi mount. I presume a hydraulic option on a semi mount is to raise/lower the rear wheels? Is that mostly to avoid obstacles? With my 4 foot rotary cutter, which is 3pt, I sometimes raise and lower the mower if I see an obstruction or mow across a ditch. Not sure how a pull or semi type would handle that?

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #14  
I struggled with this same decision and I am not sure I made the best decision, but I am happy with what I ended up with. There are pro's and con's both ways. In my case we purchased 34 acres late last summer that needs to be cleaned up. The land had been neglected for 10+ years and was overgrown with 6' weeds, thorn bushes, etc. Since I work "full time" I only have evenings and weekends for these activities and I wanted to get it cut before it started growing this spring. A week ago we took delivery of a pull behind Bush Hog 3210 with hydraulic lift, Deere 5085M, grapple, bucket, pallet forks and rear blade. This past weekend the clean up began. This combination worked very well and the Bush Hog is easy to pull, back up and maneuver. It also cut everything without issues and the tractor was a very good match for the mower and conditions.

We also have a 4' 3 point mount rotary cutter that I use with a Deere 1025R on the 9 acres where we live and it will see some duty on this land as well.

I purchased the pull behind with hydraulic lift because: 1. Readily available, 2. Puts less strain on tractor than 3 point and I am certain it is more stable, 3. Easy to maneuver and back up. 4. Can be raised very quickly if necessary.

Hope these thoughts are helpful to you.

In my opinion the only downside of the pull behind is the additional room it takes to turn it around at the end of a row. 2.jpg20170304_162315.jpg20170305_141405.jpg

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #15  
Check out the semi mount. It's the best of both worlds. Uses the lower 3pt arms and a hyd cylinder for the rear height adjustment. Takes most the weight off the tractor when mowing but is easy to back into to places and tracks perfectly

Brett

I will 2nd the semi mount. I have a Bush Hog 3210 semi mount. I really like it

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #16  
I need to choose a brush hog type mower for 12 acres of mostly open pasture. Mostly weeds, don't notice any saplings, up to 2-3 ft high. Light to moderate slope. There is one draw/ravine where water drains (winter.) The pasture is lined with large trees, and it is desired to do some amount of mowing between them. I can mow up/down where slope is greater, except one area above a pond. In that area it might be advisable to "back down" and mow up. Just guessing about that. The Massey 1758 cab model it will connect to has 44.5 pto. Weight is a little over 5,000 lbs.

I'm not sure about 3pt vs pull type. It seems a 3pt is more maneuverable, but the pull type cuts a wider path with less stress on the tractor? I will have a loader to counterbalance a 3pt model, and the rear tires are loaded. When mowing with my 4' brush hog, I have sometimes raised it up, backed into a tight area, lowered it, and drove out. I could see myself doing this where the trees line the pasture, where it is also fenced. I'm guessing the pull type is "forward only?"

For comparison, Woods offers each that would fit my tractor:
MDS8.30 3 point, 96" cut, 45-100 pto, 1,200 lb
DS120 pull type, 120" cut, min 40hp, dual wheels, 2,100 lb

For this property, do you think you would be happier with a 120" pull type, or 96" 3 point mount model?

are you trailering it or leaving it there? 8' will trailer better.

on a large 3pt mower ( I have a 10' 3pt ) you can leave the toplink off and use it as a semi mount.

3pt are easier to backup without thinking.. but no reason you can't back a pull type.. it's just like backing a trailer.

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres)
I won't be trailering it. Sounds like I need to check out a bush hog 3210 semi mount.

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #18  
I have a 3pt that works very well for tighter spots... and wish I could afford to add a 10-foot pull type for my broader fields, but it seems to me that the pull-types are LOTS more money!

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #19  
Compare the pto hp for a 3pt to a pull type and you'll see it takes less pto hp to operate a puller. I have a Kodiak 10' puller for my 5530 used on 75 acres.

idaho2

/ Which is better? 10 ft pull type brush hog, or 8 ft 3 pt mount? (12 acres) #20  
I purchased a pull type at auction , used it 1 summer and for my use it was a strain with all the backing and tight quarters so this winter I made my own conversion to a 2 point with rear wheel height adjust with swivel wheel for turning . tested it and it works great and the best part is I made it all so that I can switch back in about an hour by removing 12 bolts and putting trailer parts back = best of both worlds ! For my 2 cents large straight acres = pull type - for small obstructed areas 3 point .